Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Scientific research on body control/mind over body

If you could assist me I would be very grateful.

I am coming up rather empty on my internet search looking for REAL SCIENTIFIC research on body control/ mind over body.

I DO NOT what anything that is biased towards it. So nothing from any yoga, new age, pop psychology, alternative health, etc...sites.

I am not looking for anything psychic, spiritual, mystical, etc...

I am not talking about telepathy, psychokinesis, past lives, etc...

I am notinterested in biofeedback.

I am looking for documented research in things like pain control, muscle control, bloodflow, breath control, heart rate etc...

I also would like NOT to have this thread sidetracked into a discussion of new age, psychic, mystic powers etc... PLEASE

Thanx,
AE

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

so do you want us to give you websites and/or book refrences for this kind of thing?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

That would be GREATLY appreciated if you could.

AE

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 07-08-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Hmm...so you're talking about extreme mental suggestion, etc.? Like convincing yourself you're not hungry, you're not tired, you're not cold, etc.?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

AE, this seems another spamalator thread when Google works faster.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Hey Spock,

I tried a google search but what I came up with was either a site that was too eager to accept or a skeptical group that was debunking frauds of psychic or mystical powers.

I could not find quite what I was looking for so I thought maybe someone here might be able to direct me were I failed.

However, if you feel it is not ok for me to post the question, no qualms.

Curubethion, yes that would be a section of what I am interested in.

'Dern Helm"

Old 07-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
Alcuin
Salt Miner

You need to check out the Mind/Body Medical Institute in Boston. It’s a real medical practice. Treatment there is covered by most American insurance plans. It is associated with the Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. The founder, Dr. Herbert Benson, MD, is an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

This is the real stuff. Google them.

-|-

Edit:
Spock, this is a real medical discipline. Don’t kill the thread.

Last edited by Alcuin : 07-09-2006 at 03:59 AM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

AE **jes funnin** means just that................................glad to have you back.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

AE, this may be outside the parameters of what you're looking for, but Duke University Medical Center was part of a study about the effects of prayer on heart patients. The results of the study were published in the July 16, 2005 issue of The Lancet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3193902.stm

http://www.dukemednews.org/news/article.php?id=9136
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yep, but the LaCross players don't have a prayer.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks for the replies Alcuin and cee2lee2.

No problem Spock.

'Dern Helm"

Old 07-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

AE you are in good company-seeking answers via www

Hawking Seeks Answers on Humanity's Future
By ANICK JESDANUN (AP Internet Writer)
From Associated Press
July 07, 2006 5:28 PM EDT
NEW YORK - Some questions even stump Stephen Hawking.

The famed British astrophysicist and best-selling author has turned to Yahoo Answers, a new feature in which anyone can pose a question for fellow Internet users to try to answer. By Friday afternoon, nearly 17,000 Yahoo Inc. users had responded.

Hawking's question: "In a world that is in chaos politically, socially and environmentally, how can the human race sustain another 100 years?"

Some of the answers were short - "get rid of nuclear weapons" - and others vague - "Somehow we will." Many were doubtful: "I don't think it is possible unless we expand into space," one user wrote.

A number of people suggested thinking differently, ending bickering or fostering cooperation.

Officials at the University of Cambridge, where Hawking is a mathematics professor, confirmed that Hawking wrote the message but said he would have no further comment.

Hawking's groundbreaking research on black holes and the origins of the universe has made him one of the best-known theoretical physicists of his generation. Author of the global best seller "A Brief History of Time," Hawking is known for proposing that space and time have no beginning and no end.

Lately, he's been pondering about the fate of humans.

In a June 13 speech in Hong Kong, Hawking said the survival of the human race depends on its ability to find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an increasing risk that a disaster will destroy Earth.

He said that if humans can avoid killing themselves in the next 100 years, they should have space settlements that can continue without support from Earth.

Hawking is one of 10 celebrity questioners Yahoo solicited as part of its "Ask The Planet" campaign.

The Sunnyvale, Calif., Internet company spent weeks trying to track Hawking down but got his participation within a day of reaching the correct assistant, said Patrick Crane, vice president of marketing for Yahoo Search.

The question was submitted a few days before the Hong Kong speech and posted this past Wednesday.

Over the next week, Yahoo employees are expected to work with Hawking to sift through the answers and select one or several to highlight as best responses.

Yahoo Answers, like an offering from Google Inc. and one planned by Microsoft Corp., is among the services aimed at tapping the collective intelligence. It's based on the premise that humans as a group can do a better job at finding information than machines or any single person can.

Anyone can ask or answer a question, regardless of expertise, although Yahoo will eventually implement a rating system meant to elevate users with better reputations, based on their past questions and answers.

Questions typically get 6 to 10 answers.

Past celebrity participants include Donald Trump, Isaiah Washington, Al Gore and "Click & Clack," the hosts of NPR's "Car Talk." U2 lead singer Bono closed the celebrity series Friday by asking, "What can we do to make poverty history?"

---

On the Net:

Hawking's question:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid(equalsign)20060704195516AAnrdOD

Bono's question:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid(equalsign)20060706201547AAy10c8&pa

Hawking's site: http://www.hawking.org.uk

Last edited by Spock : 07-09-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Spock thanks for the info. It seems like a great idea. Maybe we can post a how do we solve Tolkien's unanswered questions thread there.

Cheers,

AE

'Dern Helm"

Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #14
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Yep, but the LaCross players don't have a prayer.
Neither did the heart patients
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee2lee2
Neither did the heart patients

Ouch, that was good.

'Dern Helm"