Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Making A Band

okay...so what does it take to make a band, be in a band ect. does anyone have any suggestions? because me and my friends are making a band. we already have a name and logo...anyone? advice, critism and guidance is welcome

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Sure. You have to get a full "set" of music into performance ready condition. Then you have to find out what club sponsors the battle of the band type of events in Victoria. Contact them and tell them when you are ready.

Tips:
1. Help the drummer carry the drums. Drummers are special. If you have one, be extra nice. Everybody else wants to take your drummer away, especially if he's good. If you make him move his own equipment then show up 5 minutes before performing and plug in your electric guitar, he will be more likely to accept an offer from another band.

2. Be prepared to fail. It's just like baseball. Most of the time you'll make an out and maybe 3 out of 10 times you'll play well. It's just something you have to be able to live with.

3. Ask yourself, do I really want to be alone all my life? It is almost impossible to have a girlfriend and be in a band fulltime. Read the biographies of rock musicians. It's possibly the absolute worst profession to be in and be married.

4. Practice obsessively. There is only one way to be good, and that is you do it so many times that you can carry on a full conversation while your hands are playing the music and not skip a beat. Anything less sounds labored.

that's it for now. Good luck.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Sam
Elven Warrior

number one rule: be good friends

trust me, i'm in a band, it helps.

btw, are you a singer, guitar player, bassist, drummer?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

thanks and keep it coming. we have a name, logo and lyrics and now we are going to concentrate on getting the music down packed

Elfhelm thankyou for all the info im sure it twill help tremendously

Sam i am thee guitarist/vocals and the song writer

i hope that answers everything, and keep the advice rolling in!
thanks, Tamuril

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfhelm
3. Ask yourself, do I really want to be alone all my life? It is almost impossible to have a girlfriend and be in a band fulltime. Read the biographies of rock musicians. It's possibly the absolute worst profession to be in and be married.
Wow-how ironic is that?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
I've got two suggestions for you Tamuril: don't go into it like Bill and Ted, you know, learn to play, but most of all have fun with it. What good is being in a band if it isn't going to be any fun?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
I've got two suggestions for you Tamuril: don't go into it like Bill and Ted, you know, learn to play, but most of all have fun with it. What good is being in a band if it isn't going to be any fun?
lol thats true. yes i am going to practice, i just really really need that broken string on my acoustic fixed! lmao but im sure it wil be soon...thanks everyone...keep the advice coming!

Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

anymore suggestions?

Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I've jammed in all kinds of bands for years. Practice is huge, as well as as much experience playing in front of crowds as you can get.

Also figure out what direction you want to take. Do you want to be creative and do your own thing, eventhough people may not appreciate it at first, or do you want to be the "entertainment" kind of band, playing stuff that people know and recognize and can dance along to? Both can be real fun. Or you can even mix the two (the best, IMO).

But the biggest thing is definitely getting along. One of the better methods I've found for this is living by the one veto rule. The absolute worst thing to do among a small group of people is vote on stuff, it causes more problems than it solves. It's better to give every member the right to veto whatever they want, no questions asked. If they just can't stand playing a song, drop it. A veto is not something that people end up using a lot, but it's a great way of showing that you have a lot of respect for one another, and it avoids a lot of the fights that can tend to break bands up over time.

Most of all, have fun!

I'd love to hear your stuff if you do any recording btw.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
I've jammed in all kinds of bands for years. Practice is huge, as well as as much experience playing in front of crowds as you can get.
practice makes perfect..isnt that a good saying?

Quote:
Also figure out what direction you want to take. Do you want to be creative and do your own thing, eventhough people may not appreciate it at first, or do you want to be the "entertainment" kind of band, playing stuff that people know and recognize and can dance along to? Both can be real fun. Or you can even mix the two (the best, IMO).
well first we want to be a cover band and then while we have our feet on the ground, make our own stuff. eventually we will make our own songs and cease to be a cover band
Quote:
But the biggest thing is definitely getting along. One of the better methods I've found for this is living by the one veto rule. The absolute worst thing to do among a small group of people is vote on stuff, it causes more problems than it solves. It's better to give every member the right to veto whatever they want, no questions asked. If they just can't stand playing a song, drop it. A veto is not something that people end up using a lot, but it's a great way of showing that you have a lot of respect for one another, and it avoids a lot of the fights that can tend to break bands up over time.

Most of all, have fun!

I'd love to hear your stuff if you do any recording btw.
YES! getting along would be the key thing...it would help is people weren't jumping down each others throats. hahaha that also would explain why my best friend is not even my friend anymore cuse we voted on a band name and she spazed because she didn't get her way.and yes we all are going to agree and the songs that the band is going to play. and when we finally get some recording time, entmooters will be the first to know thanks for all the advice. cheers
Tamuril

Last edited by Tamuril Sirfalas : 06-19-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamuril Sirfalas
practice makes perfect..isnt that a good saying?
Perfect is tough, but better.

Which reminds me of another thing. Always look like you're having a good time and know what you are doing in front of an audience. They never notice the mistakes unless you point them out by making snarly-faces at one another.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Perfect is tough, but better.

Which reminds me of another thing. Always look like you're having a good time and know what you are doing in front of an audience. They never notice the mistakes unless you point them out by making snarly-faces at one another.
thankyou darling...very helpful...i'll tell the band.lol. keep the advice coming!!!