Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2000, 03:44 AM   #1
Sauganast

Typed Role-Playing games on messages boards

I have been looking through a lot of LotR message boards and it seems no one ever has a sort of LotR version of a dungeons and dragons game. I tried to get one started on a different board but no one followed my lead. Is it just that no one knows how to play them, or can they just not catch on??!!! They can be loads of fun if you got the right people.

"The Greatest adventure is what lies ahead."
Old 08-26-2000, 07:36 PM   #2
Gilthalion

Re: Typed Role-Playing games on messages boards

How does such a game work? I don't get around much and haven't seen one.
Old 08-26-2000, 09:15 PM   #3
Sauganast

You pretty much just take turns explaining events that your company encounter. You have one person who starts by stating where he is and whats going on and then someone else can introduce there character any way they want. So you now have two people in the company, the leader and first to join and so on. you can come across an uncrossable canyon and figure out a way to pass it, lets say the eagles help you or somethin. Or you could encounter a host of orcs or whatever you want. Someone could even join the message board as an antogonist. It really doesn't matter
Old 08-26-2000, 09:22 PM   #4
Gilthalion

It could be fun, but I see how it could get rather silly pretty quickly. You might want to ask one of the Moderators to keep a close eye on it, so it doesn't get littered up with folks spoiling your fun. Not that it would happen much here!
Old 08-26-2000, 09:23 PM   #5
Darth Tater

Elbreth, who seems to have dissapeared recently, is starting an e-mail rpg based on Tolkien's works.
Old 08-26-2000, 09:26 PM   #6
Sauganast

But you see Darth, that could be a problem, cuz it would take longer, message boards are a really good place to do them. As long as you have good people to do them with. I have had ones that last weeks in other message boards, but not one tolkien one has ever worked, it seems no one wants to do them. And one unrelated question for you darth, how do you change the rating or whatever it is under your name, my says sapling, how do i change it?
Old 08-26-2000, 09:28 PM   #7
Darth Tater

There was an attempt to start an RPG here a while ago, but Entmoot was young and it died. If you would like to be my guest, please do it in the Middle Earth forum.
Old 08-27-2000, 04:51 AM   #8
IronParrot

Not Tolkien-related, but from the perspective of running an RPG over a board - it requires commitment, lots of it. I have a fairly large-scale one on my board but it's been a sitting duck for months now...
Old 08-27-2000, 02:28 PM   #9
Sauganast

Whcih board would that be?
Old 08-27-2000, 05:17 PM   #10
Shanamir Duntak

I am, Shanamir Duntak, Son of Reagan Duntak, ready for the challenge you put up.
Old 08-28-2000, 03:38 AM   #11
Sauganast

I am Sauganast the Red, one of the Istari, I invite you to join my game at the white council board.

"Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" --Gandalf to Bilbo

"All of them at once," Bilbos reply
Old 08-28-2000, 08:01 PM   #12
bmilder

I used to be part of a Tolkien RPG on the old Prodigy Classic message boards. We had a club called the Burglar's Guild, although by the time I became an active member in the club, it and the Prodigy service itself was long past its prime, and there were just two other main members. But it was a lot of fun.

However, I know I would have absolutely no time for it now.

The entire tolkientrail.com website is a bit like an RPG, since you're traveling through Middle-Earth, but admittedly you don't have much control over what you do there (yet).
Old 08-29-2000, 02:20 AM   #13
Shanamir Duntak

So can we hope having more control over the elements on the trail in the (near?) futur?
Old 08-29-2000, 03:22 PM   #14
bmilder

Well, what would you suggest?
Old 08-29-2000, 10:20 PM   #15
Darth Tater

You can only expect better things to come to the trail as time goes on
Old 08-29-2000, 10:46 PM   #16
Gilthalion

Yeeee Hoooo!

I know I can't wait!
Old 08-30-2000, 12:31 PM   #17
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Yeeee Hoooo!

First, you could get someone to do some flash for you, like when you're conversing... that would be good. And when you come to the prancing pony, Barliman could tell you the latest news about the movie . Something that would be great too would be to find someone to do art for you and design background for each page that look likes you WERE actually there... that all for now, maybe if I think of anything else, I'll tell you