Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The Marriage of Mac and PC?

Hey guys, I just heard something - has anyone else heard about it?

I heard there's a Mac coming out that's both a Mac and a PC! That way, one can have the best of both worlds in one machine. And they're totally separate, so a PC-based virus can't get to the Mac and vice-versa. If this is true, I"d consider getting one and using the Mac for my internet computer, because there's less viruses out for Macs (it's more fun for hackers to go for volume, I guess - tons of PCs out there, not as many Macs, but now that might change ... ) and the PC for all the other PC-based apps I have.

Anyway, so is this just a hoax, or is it "fer reel"?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I am not a computer expert, but I believe it exists already for some years. Virtual PC program on a MAC OS X.
You have your MAC, but you can run Windows as well and all the PC programs - I have it myself at work.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

No, not virtual - actually TWO independent processors. You have to shut down one to boot up the other.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

It's a new program Mac released called "Boot Camp".
Apple's Boot Camp page
It lets you run XP and Mac, and it doesn't sap up system performance when running XP, like Virtual PC does.

Personally, I think Apple's playing dirty now
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Interesting that this thread should show up, because this is something I've been following for a while now.

Apple recently released the Macbook Pro laptop with Intel processors instead of the old G4. The change in processors means that Apple and PCs are no longer, well, apples and oranges. With the Apple-released Boot Camp, you can boot Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac. Right now, Boot Camp is just a beta, and I think the full version will be released as a part of OS X 10.5 (Leopard) in about January. The catch there is that you have to reboot every time you want to run Windows (and plus there are some driver issues right now).

A day after Apple announced Boot Camp, a company called Parallels released Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta. It also allows you to boot XP on an Intel Mac, but from within OS X, meaning you don't have to reboot. It's more along the lines of Virtual PC, since I don't think that works with the new Macs. Here's a link: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/ (Right now, it's just a 30-day trial, but the full version should go on sale soon.)

I haven't heard about a Mac with one processor running XP and the other running OS X though. I think the source of that rumor is that the new Macbook Pros have dual core processors -- instead of just one processor, they actually have two to add more power -- and can run XP.

I'm waiting for Apple to announce their redesigned iBooks and then I'm going to get one.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
Rían

That "boot camp" thing looks like it might be what I heard about. Interesting! Yeah, Mac sold their soul for filthy lucre ... *gives Mac people a poke in the ribs*

Old 04-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The BF has the new laptop with the intel chip. He's dual booting XP & Mac OSX. Works fine so far - good for playing all those games we couldn't play before.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

This may be what I'm looking for!

I need a laptop for college. I don't know whether to go Mac or PC. I'm used to PC and Windows but the university recommends Macs. Now maybe I can just by a Macbook Pro and do this! Switch back and forth from Windows XP to OS X.

I need to look into this and do more research though. Can you use Windows programs and all the media formats that don't work on OS X using this method?

------
Of course Windows Vista is scheduled to come out around January. Vista may not work with Apple laptops.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:31 AM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yup. A dual-boot means that you are running both XP & OSX, so whilst in XP you can run anything you normally run.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:22 AM   #10
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Ooh, lush. When you say dual boot, do you mean they are both running at the same time a la Virtual PC? Can you access one from the other (e.g. shared file system, clipboard, etc?)?

Apple have been a bit naughty, in that, if I understand it correctly, you can't boot OS 9 in post-Panther OS X versions, which nips my head.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote