Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2000, 03:58 AM   #1
Niffiwan

What do you think would happen if...

...a different "realm" in the fourth dimension (the one we're in, 4th being time), not the third, second, fifth, etc, was also in the 4th dimension, but was travelling through time opposite to ours...
that is, if we're going:
"-> -> -> -> ->" in time, then they are going "<- <- <- <- <-" in time; at the exact same speed but in the opposite direction...

...decided to make war on our dimension!

Discuss! I want to see how long it takes for people to understand throughoughly what will probably happen... (if such a thing is possible)

Also: Is it possible for a dimension to move not just "-> -> ->", or "<- <- <-", but "| | |"; that is, to the "side" in time? If that is possible, what do you think that would seem like to us?
Old 09-30-2000, 04:17 AM   #2
Sauganast

Re: What do you think would happen if...

To travel back in time is impossible, you can only travel forward in time. And although none of this really matters due to the simple fact that existence is not real, existence does not exist. But if this was to happen, which it couldn't, the "side" time dimension would be standing still and age would not exist. But the <-<-<- time dimension is for surely not possible, for travelling back in time cannot be done. For if you reach immense speeds you will age slower then those people on earth, so if we do ever travel at the speed of light those people doing this travelling will age slower than anyone on earth, for each time they go to this speed time will slow down. We do not know the effects of this, obviously, but it may not make any difference, you could still die in the same amount of time. Because maybe it would just shorten your lifespan. You would seem to age slower, but really it would only be time slowing down for you.

But this probably makes no sense to anyone who will read it because I cannot explain it properly, it is all in my head.

"You call me mad? But I say nay, for a madman's senses are destroyed by the sickness, my senses were heightened so therefore I cannot be mad."
Old 09-30-2000, 04:34 AM   #3
Johnny Lurker

Hmmm.

Well, scientists at NEC (yes, the computer company. They're better scientists than computer builders...) claim they've convinced photons to hit 300x the "speed of light" by using a cesium field, and that the light hit the 19m (I think) mark before it started.

However, they also claim that none of the practical applications (eg. sending messages into the past, getting energy out of nothing, etc., etc...) of such a device are... possible?

*smells bovine feces*
Old 09-30-2000, 11:00 AM   #4
Legolas

Re: Hmmm.

Well, time is a completely man-made idea that does not really exist. However, if it did exist, then the two warring dimensions could wipe out each others' pasts.

Legolas
Old 09-30-2000, 02:46 PM   #5
Sauganast

For my previous post here I would like everyone to disregard the existence does not exist part, a friend of mine wrote that while I left the computer unattended, so he thought he would just put in some whack idea. He doesn't actually believe it either.
Old 09-30-2000, 03:25 PM   #6
Xivigg

By wipping each other past they are destroying the present so no war can take place
Old 09-30-2000, 03:49 PM   #7
juntel

!

With this idea, you all talk about the past and the future of each of these "worlds".

But what about each one's present...?

Thinkaboutit...

Anyways...

To think of the future and the past as already existent realms for each other's reality, then one must admit their pre-existence, hence their unchangeability (sp?). So, no freedom of choice, no decisions really..

Also, is one realm's finite past in the other's infinite future? and one's infinite future in the other's finite past?

A lot of problems await the construction of such a dual reality...

just my 2 cents...
Old 09-30-2000, 07:11 PM   #8
ArwenUndomiel02

Re: !

And my 2 cents?

HUH?!
Old 10-01-2000, 01:00 AM   #9
Niffiwan

My other ideas:

In the first dimension there would be only two directions into which one could go, but they would be among lines thinned out to infinity. There would be no dephth, and no time.

In the second dimension everything would happen either up of down among the equivalent to a piece of paper thinned out to infinity. There would be no depth. There would be no time.

In the third dimension, there would be no time.

In the fourth dimension is everything that we know for we are living in it.

In the fifth dimension is something that none of these have, so we cannot even speculate about what the fifth dimension is for we have nothing like it in the forth; therefor it is beyond our mind's scope, and nobody in the 4th dimension will ever come to understand it.

Lack of time in dimensions 1-3 means that everything in them has happened and hasn't happened at the same time. They merely exist; they don't change, or progress forward, but merely exist. They will always exist, and they never existed.

A dimensions chart:
1st dimension squared = 2nd dimension
2nd dimension squared = 3rd dimension
3rd dimension squared = 4th (our) dimension
4th dimension squared = 5th dimension...

but what would "time squared" equal to?

What do you guys think?
Old 10-01-2000, 01:19 AM   #10
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: ...

A tesseract!!! (From a Wrinkle in Time, for those of you who don't know.)

I've posted my ideas on time, etc. At the Blue Eclipse, but I will repeat them here.
The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dimesions overlap eachother. That is the world we live in. The 5th dimension is actually not a tesseract, it's the spiritual dimension that also lives in overlap with us, but which we cannot see, much less understand.
There are 10 dimesions all to gether, the last few of which has been proven to exist, but we don't know what they are yet. It is the 8th dimension which is time travel, the only problem is that we don't know if it is time only, or time/space travel. And we don't know where it ends up either.
Time doesn't exist beyond the 4th dimension, but is not compromised until the 8th because of laws of energy/mass, and thermodynamics.
I learned all this in my physics class.
Old 10-01-2000, 03:50 AM   #11
Sauganast

Present, past, or future

As far as the past goes, it is finished, we cannot go back to the past or change it, for if you travelled into the past there would be nothing, it has already happened. The so called present is already the past and the future is already the present. Every second becomes the past instantly and no longer exists other than in memory and cannot be changed. Every second in the future becomes the present therefore the future is now. Twenty years from now has already happened otherwise those people do not exist who are born there and all things must exist or existed, then cannot become and existing thing that does not exist now. So the future is now, no matter how far ahead it is, so theoretically there is no future, it is all present, and there is no past, for it is now or long gone.

So at all times we are living the future, present and past all at one time, they are not different, because now is once again the past, so we lived that and it is gone, it is no longer now, and the future is now, so it is no longer the future.

So where exactly would we place ourselves? it can't be the past all though it becomes the past and is the past, it can't be the future because the future is now, and it can't be the present because the present is the future and the past.
Old 10-01-2000, 04:11 AM   #12
juntel

Re: Present, past, or future

Could you sell me some of your stuff...
Seems to be of incredibly good quality... :lol:

btw... i just noticed that this thread's ID is 666...

boo!
Old 10-01-2000, 04:18 AM   #13
anduin

You are da man!
Old 10-01-2000, 05:35 AM   #14
Caractacus Tinkerdam

Not only is the thread topic number 666, The Number of The Beast, but the topic of the thread is along the same lines as the book by that name, by Robert A. Heinlein.

He worked off of the idea that space is six dimensional, and that the actual number of dimensional possibilities is six raised to the sixth power raised to the sixth power.
Old 10-01-2000, 01:06 PM   #15
anduin

Okay, this is starting to freak me out! :P

Greetings Caratacus Tinkerdam, welcome to the board!

BTW, that is the coolest user pic that I have ever seen!
Old 10-01-2000, 01:09 PM   #16
Caractacus Tinkerdam

Re: Okay, this is starting to freak me out! :P

Oh! Well thanks! But it's just me!
Old 10-01-2000, 01:40 PM   #17
anduin

Darnit Gil!!! Stop that!
Old 10-01-2000, 02:25 PM   #18
Master Caractacus

I wound up with two ezboard accounts for the same RPG character, because their blasted server waited until the next day to send me authorization on both! So I'll just play with CARACTACUS TINKERDAM, retire HOBBIT HOOD to BAG END, retire MASTER CARACTACUS to ENCHANTING CAMELOT, keep SARUMAN BROKENWHITE in the ENMOOT RPG, and leave GILTHALION cooling his heals at the Gates of Nobility in ENMOOT.

GILTHALION

SARUMAN BROKENWHITE

HOBBIT HOOD

CARACTACUS TINKERDAM

MASTER CARACTACUS

UNSATISFACTORY MASTER CARACTACUS

Old 10-01-2000, 07:19 PM   #19
Johnny Lurker

Crazy.

I'll leave my old identities dead and buried for now...
Old 10-01-2000, 08:14 PM   #20
Sauganast

Re: Crazy.

I have two identities at this board, but I bet no one will ever guess who they are! mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

But hey, no one answered my question, are we living in the past, present, or future? I want to hear everyone's opinions on that.