Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Miss, Mrs, Ms, Mr, M

I think it is time to move on from a Mr/Ms greeting to a M greeting.
Two points:
1. in the same way Miss/Mrs was often used in a discriminating way (so Ms was born); the sexed/gendered label is used as a discriminating label
2. in letters and emails, it is often unclear whether A. White or B. Smith is a lady or a gentlement, so it would be much more convenient to reply Dear M White

So let's replace the whole all greetings with M

Last edited by The Wizard from Milan : 10-15-2005 at 12:54 AM.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:33 AM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Would Mr, Ms, Miss and Mrs be replaced by M?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
I think it is time to move on from a Mr/Ms greeting to a M greeting.
Two points:
1. in the same way Miss/Mrs was often used in a discriminating way (so Ms) was born; the sexed/gendered label is now used a discriminating label
Is it? How?

Quote:
2. in letters and emails, it is often unclear wether A. White or B. Smith is a lady or a gentlement, so it would be much more convenient to reply Dear M White
Then you write 'Dear Sir/Madam' or something (often people's full names are written out anyway.) Maybe it's just me, but I think replacing all of those with 'M' would create even more ambiguities.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Would Mr, Ms, Miss and Mrs be replaced by M?
Yes, that is what I am proposing
Old 10-14-2005, 08:13 AM   #5
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Is it? How?
Because the gender differentiation in the greeting serves no purpose but to remind the female receiver of her sex/gender. Think about it this way: if the societal norm for greetings were to put race "Dear White Mr Jones", "Dear African-American Mr Washington", would that not blatantly be a legacy of discrimination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Maybe it's just me, but I think replacing all of those with 'M' would create even more ambiguities.
But ambiguity is good. You want not to know and not to care about the sex/gender of the person you are dealing with for business purposes.

Last edited by The Wizard from Milan : 10-15-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i prefer first name / last name... lose the surnames entirely... everyone always ends up saying, "just call me joe" (unless their name is sam)
Old 10-14-2005, 08:59 AM   #7
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Lose the surname? I agree that the vast majority wind up just using first names, but that's after the initial contact. I always use a first name and a surname in the first letter or phone call without a Mr/Ms/Mrs/Miss, unless there's an honorific involved, e.g. Dear Dr So-and-So or Dear Prof Whatsyername.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, I never really looked at this as being a sexually discriminating thing, but more of a way to determine the status of women. Mrs- signifies that this is a married woman. Miss- signifies she is single, and Ms- I believe came out after the women's movement as a title of liberation.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I think it's stupid.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

i'm torn between BJ's response and anduril's. hmm... i like both of em, but BJ's is funnier, although anduril's is quite funny as well. no decision is a decision (not sure that that saying applies here, but it sounds good )
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, I never really looked at this as being a sexually discriminating thing, but more of a way to determine the status of women. Mrs- signifies that this is a married woman. Miss- signifies she is single, and Ms- I believe came out after the women's movement as a title of liberation.
I think you're right about Ms. It's no-one's business but mine what my marital status is. I like Ms.

You can also call me Female White Canadian University Student [Last name] if you want Wizard from Milan, but I might give you a funny look. I would only think you were discriminating if you then said something derogatory about women, Canadians, white people or university students, then I would call you to task.

I don't think indicating gender is the same as being sexist. This is a very interesting thread though.

Girls are usually called Miss, and women are called Ms. Men are called Mr. and boys used to be called Master, but are no longer. I wonder why only that one was dropped?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 10-14-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Girls are usually called Miss, and women are called Ms. Men are called Mr. and boys used to be called Master, but are no longer. I wonder why only that one was dropped?
Perhaps because it began to sound like you were being deferential to a boy? I don't know, it looks really stupid to me nowadays.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I think there are several reasons for why these terms exist. Aside from the title "Ms" most of these are older than dirt. I doubt that back in the days of Little House on the Prarie and before, that married women would take kindly to being called "Miss". It would also be kind of awkward to refer to a married lady as "Miss" if she was wearing a wedding band. So in a way I think it was meant to be respectful, not degrading.

These terms often and usually signified status, either marital, or financial in cultures.

For males we have: "sir, gentleman, lad, master, mister", and going way back to the old days: "lord"

For females: "lady, mam, madam, miss, ms, mrs", and probably many more

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Mrs and Miss are both abbreviations of Mistress, while Mr is a version of Master. All were just forms of address which have acquired new specific meanings.

Quote:
The problem is that the honorific for men doesn't describe their marital status. Since we no longer define women's place in society by whether or not they are married, the distinction between Mrs and Ms is less important and potentially discriminatory.

There's no hope of changing it now though. Far too complicated
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

LOL Sun-star. Good to see you around!

Quote:
<snip>

These terms often and usually signified status, either marital, or financial in cultures.

For males we have: "sir, gentleman, lad, master, mister", and going way back to the old days: "lord"

For females: "lady, mam, madam, miss, ms, mrs", and probably many more
Don't forget "Dame" for women (the equivelant to Sir) for British people who are knighted. I don't know what the equivelant of knighthood is for women, but these women are called Dames. Knights and Dames are the same "rank", if you will.

Don't forget Dr. for a man or woman with a PhD.

There are also terms from other cultures like "sri" and "sahib". I can't explain their origin or significance though.
Quote:
Old 10-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
It's no-one's business but mine what my marital status is. I like Ms.
Then why wear a wedding ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun star
The problem is that the honorific for men doesn't describe their marital status. Since we no longer define women's place in society by whether or not they are married, the distinction between Mrs and Ms is less important and potentially discriminatory.
Well, the thing is that women even in most cases today take the husband's name along with their children. It isn't a matter of defining women in society as married, but differentiating between who is married and who isn't. I don't find that discriminating. The thing with useing the title of "Ms" is that you can be either married or single.

Quote:
Don't forget "Dame" for women (the equivelant to Sir) for British people who are knighted. I don't know what the equivelant of knighthood is for women, but these women are called Dames. Knights and Dames are the same "rank", if you will.
The term "Dame" is considered somewhat derogatory.. This may only apply to certian cultures.

We are really talking about pro-nouns.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-14-2005, 09:20 PM   #17
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

In most cases it's likely that women continue to take their husband's name, however, it's undeniable that is changing. The majority of my married female friends retained their surnames.

I've also noticed a decline in the use of all honorifics;with increasing frequency I get letter addressed without any Ms/Mrs/Miss, just my first and last name. I tend to follow the same practice with the exception I mentioned earlier of correspondence with Doctors and Professors.

I prefer Ms, frankly, as do all of my married female friends. Ultimately, what's most important is that the name is spelled correctly. :shrug:
Old 10-14-2005, 09:58 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty Ent
In most cases it's likely that women continue to take their husband's name, however, it's undeniable that is changing. The majority of my married female friends retained their surnames.
I, being from the old school, so to speak, find that a bit sad. I realize things change, but do things have to change to a point that the only way you can differentiate between men and women is by genitalia. I don't know, it just seems to take something away.

What do women do that keep their maiden name after marriage? Do they have everything seperate from their spouse? What is the last name of their children?

If that is the case, I would stay single.

Very thought provoking topic.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm a "Ms". I find "miss" to be a bit denigrating... Not overly sure why, but it makes me feel vaguely resentful that for those who choose not to marry, they are differentiated from that of the married. Well, I guess not so much anymore... I guess I just like the lack of differentiation between the status of women who use "Ms". Ugh. I'm sure that I'm not explaining this very well....
Old 10-14-2005, 10:47 PM   #20
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I agree with BoP. (so, what else is new )

As for married friends who keep their own surnames, they don't do anything differently. They are domestic partners in the same sense as those where the woman gives up her name. Those friends of mine who have children gave the kids the father's name. As for everything else, there is truly no difference.

On a related matter, I have recently found that more and more of my straight friends have adopted the term "partner" for their spouses. Historically, that is a word used by homosexual couples but it seems to be cropping up with increasing frequency in the hetero world as well. Personally, I like it. It implies greater equality in my opinion, and better reflects today's relationships.