Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Lil_Roo
Sapling

LOTR & Spirituality

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am doing some reasearch on LOTR for my 3rd yr dissertation and I would love people's input. If you could take a moment to answer the following question:

Has LOTR has any deep impact on your spiritual journey and if so in what way? (Either films or books but please state which or both)

If you don't feel comfortable posting here, please send me a message or email. By the way, this is any kind of spirituality, you don't have to be of a particular religion or belief but if you follow a particualr religion, please let me know if you answer!

Thank you very much

-Emily
Lil_Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Hello Lil_Roo and welcome to Entmoot.

I am moving your thread to the Lord of the Rings forum, and you will find that we already have a numerous amount of spiritual threads in the General Messages forum. Please feel free to participate in any one of them.

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

welcome! good question... i'm not spiritual, but since lotr is something i read at a very young age (my first "adult" book), it certainly had an effect on my outlook on life... will try to add some detailed thoughts later
Old 10-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gandalf

Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I'm not religious, but I would say that LOTR hooked into a spiritual aspect of how I relate to the natural world. Like BJ, I was probably at a particularly susceptible age, but LOTR embeds respect for nature in a way that I have not seen elsewhere.

Specifically, good things in LOTR are the ones which respect and live in harmony with their environment while evil things are the ones which don't.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
olorin hamfast
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Roo
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am doing some reasearch on LOTR for my 3rd yr dissertation and I would love people's input. If you could take a moment to answer the following question:

Has LOTR has any deep impact on your spiritual journey and if so in what way? (Either films or books but please state which or both)

If you don't feel comfortable posting here, please send me a message or email. By the way, this is any kind of spirituality, you don't have to be of a particular religion or belief but if you follow a particualr religion, please let me know if you answer!

Thank you very much

-Emily
Its possible that people, religious or not, select spiritual meaning from anything that stimulates it. A psychologist(cant remember the name) did a thesis on the soul and how (it) sings the blues by nature, even if the individual has no interest in the blues or is not musically inclined. I believe Mr Tolkien related personal spirituality in his writings, particularily in his elvish hymns, if you will. His higharchy has Eru on top, and others that follow with Mithrandir as some sort of angel from heaven who has come to help the little folk. I believe it bears some similaritites to popular religions. The Silmarillion is a good study of that, although I myself havent read any of it for many years; i have to finish reading the LotR aloud before i even think of going there! But as an agnostic, it fills a spiritual role for me. Hooray for JRR
olorin hamfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I hates the blues, I loves the reds. I also believe in Hobbits.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
olorin hamfast
Hobbit

Red smarties? you eat the red ones last?
olorin hamfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

I'm not quite sure yet how much of an impact LOTR has had on me, but I do know it's chock full of Catholic allegory. Yes, I will answer objections, starting with Lotesse
P.S., welcome to the moot, Lil Roo ...you should get an avatar.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)

Last edited by Curubethion : 10-04-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

techically LOTR has spirutual applicability, not allegory, tolkien himself despised allegory and all its forms, granted there is a spirutual applicability that i'm sure you and Lotesse can argue about
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 10-05-2005 at 02:57 PM.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gandalf

What?????????
Old 10-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Lotesse whispers behind hand, little smile on my face *shhh! they're trying to sound like intellectuals; let 'em play! *

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

my friends in London have a name for such people: "twits".
Old 10-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #14
rohirrim TR

you have friends??

just kidding
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #15
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Oh, jocularity, I recognize that.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:03 PM   #16
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
techically LOTR has spirutual applicability, not allegory, tolkien himself despised allegory and all its forms, granted there is a spirutual applicability that i'm sure you and Lotesse can argue about
rTR,

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

APPLICABILITY DOES NOT EQUAL ALLEGORY!

Just thought I'd let you know you were right and all... .

See The Choice in Middle Earth thread for pertinent applicable commentary.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #17
rohirrim TR

thanks, at least someone agrees, or at least seems to agree There really is a lot of symbolism that can be applied to life in LOTR and as tolkien was catholic i'm sure there are some parts of LOTR that were influenced by his faith
Quote:
Old 10-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #18
Curubethion

Strider

Whoops I think I used the wrong term...not allegory, but "suspicious similarities". For example, March 25 (the day the Ring was destroyed) coincides with the traditional date of the Crucifixion. Was it really a coincedence?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #19
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gandalf

where did you get that date, no one ever mentioned that date to me, my reference books don't have a date, are you sure about that date?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #20
Curubethion

Strider

Google it. There's tons of stuff. Incidentally, what was the date this year of Good Friday? March 25
But there's more references than that. For instance, Purgatory (Paths of the Dead), Christ's Resurrection (Gandalf, it's probably been said a million times...), and in the Silmarillion are references to a Heaven and a Hell, as well as angels(good Maiar), archangels(Ainur), Satan (Melkor, including a rebellion remarkably similar to the one depicted in Revelation), and demons (evil Maiar).
But I think there's another thread for this discussion...something like "Christian themes in LOTR"...