Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Tolkien's Realisticness

I was just thinking how the good guy always wins and never gets taken to the dark side, blah blah blah. In the LotR, Tolkien had it so a good guy died(boromir), Frodo was corrupt at the end, and Gollum won, but ended up dying anyway by the fall. I love this, it's great! Comments?
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
I was just thinking how the good guy always wins and never gets taken to the dark side, blah blah blah. In the LotR, Tolkien had it so a good guy died(boromir), Frodo was corrupt at the end, and Gollum won, but ended up dying anyway by the fall. I love this, it's great! Comments?
That is one way to get the Reader's Digest version of LOTR.

1000+ pages reduced to a paragraph. Brilliant.

Tolkien also had a talent for being able to imply more behind the characters and scenes (than he wrote down on paper) in a way that gets the reader to be drawn into thinking that ME could actually be a real place.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 PM   #3
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Strider

Tolkien has a depth in his books that no book other than the bible can compete with and that is why they are so great and the death of boromir is one of the saddest and the best scenes there is in either book or film in fact it is probably one of the most acurate scenes in the film
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i think what tolkien realized, as other good writers do, that people appreciate sacrifice for a greater good more than they do the hero who just succeeds because he's the best... it sounds simple, but many authors fall into the trap of making their characters to idealized... tolkien made his characters real