Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
katya
Elven Maiden

Foreign exchange

This thread serves two purposes: to explain why I'm going to be gone for a year starting in August, and to talk about exchange students. I'm going to Japan as an exchange student. I don't want to spend much, if any, time here while I'm gone, except maybe the languages thread, haha, because it's probably expensive for my families and because I don't want to be tied too strongly to my life in America.

Anyone else ever been an exchange student? Thinking about doing it (or regretting not having done it?)?

I myself am very excited. I've been thinking about it a lot today for various reasons, and at this point I want to just jump on the plane right this second.

Someone said that if every teenager was an exchange student, there would be no wars. There's some truth in that, I think. I've met lots of kids from about 40 different countries, and my perspective has changed drastically, and I haven't even left yet. When I imagine America going to war with some country, instead of thinking "Whatever" I think "Hey, that's where so-and-so is from! They're alright people over there, we can't just go to war with them!"

Too tired to write any more or any more cohesively. Must sleep soon.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:24 AM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Right on Katya! Good on you for going on exchange. I've just come back from Sweden, where I studied for a year.

I had always wanted to go on exchange ever since Grade 9, when I tried to go on exchange to Quebec. Later, I tried to go on a Rotary exchange, but there weren't enough spots. I finally got to realize my dream last year, by doing my third year of university abroad!

It's a lot of work to go/be on exchange, but it is completely worth it. Even in the darkest part of winter, I never regretted going on exchange for a second! I love Sweden and I'm so glad I went. It's a life-changing experience that can't be duplicated by any other way.

Exchange rules!!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 AM   #3
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Yeah, nobody realizes until they've experienced it, what contact with a foreign country can do to your outlook on the world! On my first trip as a student ambassador, there was a kid in the group who wasn't even an American citizen; he was an exchange student from North Korea. And then I sat next to an exchange student from South Korea for sophomore chemistry, who hardly spoke English but was funny as anything. Now I know they would have been friends.

I would love to study abroad for a semester. If I go into psychology, I think Austria would be the place to go (what with Freud and all) and I love it there. But I'd also like to go to Japan. The language barrier would be a huge challenge, though. Katya, if you ever do come on while over there, you know you must tell us what it's like.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 07-12-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
katya
Elven Maiden

I think I'll probably be keeping a blog of some sort so I could just post the address for that. As for the language barrier, I already know a lot of Japanese, but most kids pick up the language after a few months. Yeah, that's a long time- some of them aren't really good until they are leaving, but it's a good way to learn a new language. It's quicker than studying it in school.

Nurvi, sorry there weren't spots for you. I am with Rotary myself. It's a good program- they prepare us really well, at least in my district, and they focus a lot on being an ambassador and really getting in touch with the culture.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

My school once did an exchange with a Danish school but it didn't really work out. Not really a real whole-year exchange, mind you. The Danish class came over here for a week, followed three classes (given in English to let them understand) and the rest of the week both Belgian and Danish classes went on school trips to see something of Belgium. I asked my Danish guest what she wanted to do and arranged a few activities for her that week: took her to the movies, went swimming, watched football with her (she was a fan) etc.. I always made sure it was something she wanted to do. But she was also easily tired and she slept lots.

Then the Belgian students went to Danemark for a week. None of us really wanted to go. When I arrived I didn't even know she had a sister! She never told me. We spent a whole day in their school, following lessons, the most part in Danish, oh yes, we were bored. We hung yet another day around in that school. (I encountered the internet, one of the best things that happened that trip, which is saying something). We visited some places in Danemark but there was so much more they could have showed us. My host took me on one of her driving lessons, one time to her soccer training (I sat on the bank the whole evening) and in the other evenings she invited some of her friends with their Belgian guests, who were - unlucky enough - none of my best friends. After two nights we were rather bored, and the conversations quickly polarised in Dutch and Danish. We had seemingly so little in common. In fact I was bored a lot that trip.

When we left, only one student who had managed to build a good relationship with her exchange student, was sad to leave.

It was sadly enough an exchange trip of a lot of missed opportunities. The next year the exchange was no longer made with Danemark but with Sicily as it still going on today. I suppose it was very obvious it didn't work out between us and the Danes.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

Forget it. I can't leave. See, there was a time when my interest in LotR was dormant somewhat. An occasional obscure reference or quote here and there or something that would remind me of something, ya know. I thought about just stopping coming to Entmoot because I never really read much any more. But this time, I'll never leave again. So whether I have to pay my host family for internet time or use school or library computers or whatever, I'll be checking in more often than planned.

And Eärniel, sorry your experience wasn't as good as it should've been.

*oh ho ho, less than a month now! la la la, wanna get on the plane right now*
Old 07-22-2005, 02:54 AM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Depending on age and sex Japan is different for each person. I found it one of two countries in the world in which I felt at home; more than the USA; and although experiencing difficult times; lonliness & language barriers; made it out whole.

--do yoy know which area the schooling is in? I was in Noda City, Kamakura, Takeshimya, Kyoto and Osaka. I only was in Tokyo overnight after the flight got in.

...hope you get a chance to tell us about it.

Last edited by Spock : 07-22-2005 at 02:56 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:22 AM   #8
katya
Elven Maiden

My school is Wakayama Prefectural Naga High School. I hope to visit a lot of different places though.

Did you know any Japanese? How much do you know now? I've been studying diligently for two years now, but I think there's still a lot for me to learn, especially learning to sound natural and say the right things at the right time.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
My school is Wakayama Prefectural Naga High School. I hope to visit a lot of different places though.
Did you know any Japanese? How much do you know now? I've been studying diligently for two years now, .
Well I'm only familiar with a few words now as I studied the language when I traveled to the country for training and of course when you don't use a language you lose it. Mostly dojo phrases still stick in my mind. You are right to concentrate on pronounciation as it is so important. Japanese do very well in learning other languages and I think you'll do well learning too.

I've been up to Nagano, Takashymaya (excuse spelling errors), Yoshino, Nara, Osaka, Kyoto, Tokakure and other areas.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That sounds really exciting, kayta!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, I am super excited. I really can't wait to go. It feels soon when I think that the next full moon I see will be from Japan.

Spock, what were you training in? Some kind of martial art, I guess? I was going to learn some kendo and I have a couple shinai and a full set of armor but my friend never taught me any like he was going to. Couldn't find a place to practice with the right kind of floors and high ceiling.

I hope I come back a master of kansai ben. I like to say that it's Japanese for "wicked cool".
Old 07-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #12
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Oh, I trained years ago. Togakure Ninjitsu. Also hold teaching license and dan ranking in Hakko-Ryu Jiujitsu. Kendo is a great way to hone eye-hand coordination. You'll have to be there a very long time to come back a master of anything. Safe journey.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
katya
Elven Maiden

Wow, ninjitsu! That is really cool! I'd like to hear about it somehow.

I was just thinking not too long ago that I felt bad that I never got into martial arts (or sports) when I was younger, because my mom was not into it at all, and never helped me get started. I feel like it's too late now, because I'm too old. I was told (by my dad's girlfriend) that it's probably just not my destiny. That may be true, but still, I'd like to try.

Do you know what kansai ben is? It's a dialect. I already know a lot of Japanese as far as what you can learn from the text book and watching tv, talking to friends a little... I want to come back with an accent though, and using Osaka vocabulary and everything. Even with kids who spent a year in Tokyo and Osaka respectively and didn't know anything before they went, that happened to some extent.

And I will try and be safe, thank you.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Kansai-ben

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/kansaiben.htm is one place for you to learn

A dialect might be challenging and amusing to learn but not as practical as the Kendo you were considering.

wishing the good Kami watch over you during your stay.

Yondan, Jon
Old 07-26-2005, 03:24 AM   #15
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
I was just thinking not too long ago that I felt bad that I never got into martial arts (or sports) when I was younger, because my mom was not into it at all, and never helped me get started. I feel like it's too late now, because I'm too old.
HAHA. You're only 17, Katya.

A buddy of mine started Karate when he was about 20. Achieved first Dan black belt with his father and younger sister.

I'm more into the gyming experience, but I must admit, I have been flirting with the idea of getting into some form of martial art....
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #16
Earniel

Quote:
And Eärniel, sorry your experience wasn't as good as it should've been.
*shrugs* As with everything it can go two ways: good or bad. I'm not going to lose sleep over it even though I will probably always regard it as a missed opportunity. But hey, let's hope your trip will be much, much better!

Quote:
I was just thinking not too long ago that I felt bad that I never got into martial arts (or sports) when I was younger, because my mom was not into it at all, and never helped me get started. I feel like it's too late now, because I'm too old.
Now, now, none of that nonsense. I took up karate when (I think) I was 22, I had to drop later due to time-restraint and bad time table but to enroll in that dojo was the best decision health-wise I took for the last 5 years. Late teens and early twenties are the best time to take on sports because it is also the age-frame most youngsters stop with school-organised sport activities and then their form and condition starts to degrade. You need the exercise at your age. There is no age limit on (most) sports and martial arts. So if you want to try them, try them and don't let age deter you.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:50 PM   #17
katya
Elven Maiden

That's what everyone keeps telling me. I do plan on taking karate or something similar, and I guess I'll just have to see what happens. Thank you the support, minna.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:16 AM   #18
katya
Elven Maiden

Here's the address for my personal publication journal. It's new, so don't expect to read anything good yet. I can't believe that I leave this house tomorrow...

http://inakunatta.blogspot.com/
Old 08-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #19
Earniel

Have a good trip, katya!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #20
katya
Elven Maiden

Thanks, I will.