Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I need a vacation!!

I thought there was a vacation thread, but I couldn't find it, so I started this thread for those of us who are going on vacation to put up notices here in case anyone is wondering why they aren't posting.

Between leaving for Ecuador in a few days and getting ready for our annual 4th of July block party, I prob. won't be posting very much the next few days, and then not at all from July 7 to 22, unless I somehow get internet access and actually remember my password, so - see you guys later! Have a fun summer and hopefully I'll be back posting in a few weeks, with lots of stories of our trip

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I need a holiday too!

Enjoy your vacation!
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Have a wonderful trip R*an! Traveling is soooo great. I'd like to go to South America myself one day.

Are you perhaps going to Galapagos as well, when you are in the area?

Looking forward to your stories!

Last edited by Artanis : 07-03-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Have a beezer time!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks, all!

No, I"m not going to the islands - this is more of a trip down memory lane for my husband's family. We're going to places where they lived and got chased by drunken Indians wielding machetes and other fun things like that!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-04-2005, 04:11 AM   #6
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Enjoy your trip, R*an!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #7
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Sounds interesting, R*an! Enjoy yourself.

I'm not going on a vacation.. But I'm going on a summer course far out in the archipelago for a month. I love the ocean.. So I think it'll be quite nice.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
Rían

Thanks, guys! this is my last post until I get back. Take care of the Moot while I"m gone!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #9
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Thanks, all!

No, I"m not going to the islands - this is more of a trip down memory lane for my husband's family. We're going to places where they lived and got chased by drunken Indians wielding machetes and other fun things like that!
Souds like a good time. I hope it's fun, and not too hot.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....jungle drums begin to beat and camp fires blaze high .......dum-dum-dum
Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Great thread Ri! Have fun in Equador.

I need a vacation too! I know I just got back from one (and it was greatness, I am just now wearing a T-shirt with the Finnish lion on it), but now I need to relax. But I will have two sweet, sweet weeks later this summer where I will go camping and do nothing else.

Nothing! Bwahahaha!! *pant pant*

Yeeeaaahh. I need to relax. >_<
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Have a super time Rian. Looking forward to hearing about it when you return.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:28 PM   #13
Rían

I'm back!

very tired - it was a difficult, but good trip.

2 comments - the Andes are beautiful beyond description, and ... I love the USA!

Old 07-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #14
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Sounds to me like you had a bad trip??? What was in the Andes that made you so greatly appreciate the US?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:06 PM   #15
Rían

I loved the Andes - it was the coastal/inland towns I didn't like as much.

It was kind of a difficult trip because of ... well, a lot of things ... but it was a good one. Good is not always fun...

One thing I appreciate about the US is the good, safe water supply. Also the, um, er, powder rooms! (we were in some very remote places )

I have a lot of thinking to do about this trip - lots of things going on with 16 people ranging from 70 to 4, blood relatives and in-laws, many, MANY hours on a bus together, etc. etc.

The two things I liked the best were the Andes - as I said, just jaw-droppingly, awesomely beautiful! and how it helped me understand my husband more.

It was fun to see how much my Spanish improved over the two weeks, and I must say, my accent is pretty darn good!

It was interesting to see how the people responded to our middle son in the wheelchair - some people would just come up to him and put their hand on his head and caress him. (Also because he has blonde hair, too)

The drivers are all certified insane! The only people insaner than the drivers were the pedestrians! But they're all insane the same way, so they understand each other, and we didn't see any accidents the whole time. Our bus drivers were incredible the way they could thread the needle with a one-inch clearance on either side.

One thing I liked the least - the 50+ mosquito bites I got when the only bathroom was in amongst the grasses ... (I kid you not - at least 50 bites! Good thing I decided to take the malaria medication!)

Last edited by Rían : 07-24-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:29 PM   #16
Rían

Oh, another thing I liked was the long hair of the Quechua Indians. I don't like long hair in general on guys, but the hair of the Quechua Indians is so dark and lustrous and smooth, it looks good! The pastor of the church in Saraguro, where they honored my father-in-law for helping start the church 40 years ago (and I even spoke a little in Spanish!) had gorgeous long, dark hair in a braid down his back - reminded me of Fingon

Old 07-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #17
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
It was kind of a difficult trip because of ... well, a lot of things ... but it was a good one. Good is not always fun...
An excellent attitude if I ever saw one. Interesting account of the trip. Glad to have you back. (No complete sentences in my whole post.)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 AM   #18
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

sounds like a great time R*... i'm jealous
Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 AM   #19
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Welcome back!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #20
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Vacation

Enjoy your... I mean welcome back from your vacation Rian! I myself took a block of days off, but only got lost in the mountains east of Mt Rainier. Beautiful country it is, and there is something to why the creek was named Laughingwater.

I always wanted to go to South America, as it sounds most interesting.