Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2005, 06:41 AM   #1
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Pyroclastic Flow

Now, maybe this is an geological error we can just look past..

However, Mt. Doom did errupt to quite a extent... I was wondering why there was no Pyroclastic Flow...

Of course if there were everyone within a few miles would have been killed. BUt of course that couldnt happen!

Any Ideas... or plausible answers to why there wasnt one?

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

I am not sure what a Pyroclastic Flow is, but I think that since the eruption was triggered by the melting of the ring (my interpretation), it was not quite a normal eruption.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

If I have my terms and definitions right (language barriers can be so frustrating) than a pyroclastic flow doesn't occur with every type of eruption.

Besides, I'm thinking volcanology is a pretty young science and a lot of the mechanics of volcanoes is new knowledge. Pyroclastic flows might not even have been discovered yet when LoTR was written.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
If I have my terms and definitions right (language barriers can be so frustrating) than a pyroclastic flow doesn't occur with every type of eruption.
You are quite correct, Earniel, pyroclastic flows do not occur with every eruption. I must read that part of the book again to see if there are any hints to indicate what sort of eruption it would have been - besides a magical one!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Olmer
Elf Lord

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not geologist and have no idea what PYROCLASTIC FLOW means.
Would you care to explain it, so us, mere mortals, would be able to discuss such high matter?
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

A pyroclastic flow is a fluidized mixture of solid to semi-solid fragments and hot, expanding gases that flows down the flank of a volcanic edifice. These awesome features are heavier-than-air emulsions that move much like a snow avalanche, except that they are fiercely hot, contain toxic gases, and move at phenomenal, hurricane-force speeds, often over 100 km/hour. They are the most deadly of all volcanic phenomena

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor the Fair
You are quite correct, Earniel, pyroclastic flows do not occur with every eruption. I must read that part of the book again to see if there are any hints to indicate what sort of eruption it would have been - besides a magical one!
Having reread the original statement, I notice Twista's post didn't say that pyroclastic flows occur with every eruption, only that the one of Mount Doom seemed big enough for it. In that case I have to say I don't have enough expertise to say whether the occurance of pyroclastic flows is linked to magnitude of eruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
A pyroclastic flow is a fluidized mixture of solid to semi-solid fragments and hot, expanding gases that flows down the flank of a volcanic edifice. These awesome features are heavier-than-air emulsions that move much like a snow avalanche, except that they are fiercely hot, contain toxic gases, and move at phenomenal, hurricane-force speeds, often over 100 km/hour. They are the most deadly of all volcanic phenomena
So basically a tsunami of heat. Instant crisp. They can melt glass in seconds, if I recall a documentary on them right. In Dutch a pyroclastic flow is also refered to as a 'glow-cloud' if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:19 AM   #8
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
The thing that hit Pompei.

Volcanos can errupt in many different ways and Frodo and Sam were lucky that the erruption didn't cause a pyroclastic flow.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
That sounds a lot to what we see in PJs movie, doesn't it?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Guys, what are you speaking about?

Have you forgotten that we are in a land of speaking dragons, fiery Barlogs, evil octopuses, flying carnovorous lizards, immortal elves, sturdy dwarves and little hobbits?
Why are you so surprised that a RING-INDUCED explosion had not produced a pyro(whatever) flow??
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
That sounds a lot to what we see in PJs movie, doesn't it?
LOL

*suddenly a pyroclastic flow of milk errupts from EB's nose*

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Guys, what are you speaking about?

Have you forgotten that we are in a land of speaking dragons, fiery Barlogs, evil octopuses, flying carnovorous lizards, immortal elves, sturdy dwarves and little hobbits?
Why are you so surprised that a RING-INDUCED explosion had not produced a pyro(whatever) flow??
The eruption could of been of no conciquence of the ring being dropped in.

Ive always had a thought at the back of my mind that the ring can only be destroyed at mount doom because its a furnace that no other place can create. The metal/alloy used obviously has a high melting point.

I was mearly pointing out if Mt.Doom was erupting - it didnt do so properly. lol

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

Old 06-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #13
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Well, considering gravity still works in Middle-earth and seen for example that the sea overthere has tidal functions, why can one not expect another natural phenomenon such as a pyroclastic cloud to take place?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #14
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Below is a diagram of what it looks like. I thought all volcanos have them when they errupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGS 2001
Pyroclastic flows vary considerably in size and speed, but usually alwats occur from a volcanic erruption and it can destroy buildings, forests, and farmland. And on the margins of pyroclastic flows, death and serious injury to people and animals may result from burns and inhalation of hot ash and gases.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:48 AM   #15
Draken
Elf Lord

I'm not a vulcanologist but I know a couple and have chatted to them.

My understanding is this:

Volcanoes erupt in different ways, depending on things like how old they are and what sort of lava comes out of them.

A pyroclastic flow needs a prolonged, intense eruption. The heat generated causes enough of an up force to hold a column of heavier-than-air ash and gas above the volcano. At some stage the eruption slows - at this point the heat generated is not enough to hold the column up. It collapses down onto the volcano, and depending on the wind direction and geographical features, flows down the slopes like a very hot, very fast and very fatal avalanche.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #16
paulbaggins
Sapling

Gimli pryoplastic flow

Well an example of this is the aftermath of what happened when Mount St.Helens blew back in 1980. The flows there melted ice and snow and caused massive flooding down the south Tootle river .
And the volcanoe in LOTR lives in a l;and where just about anything can happen . I am always suprised to see Frodo & Sam out run lava in the movie version . still a good tale
Old 07-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #17
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gandalf

..hmmm, it was a movie and was cut down to keep people IN theatres, so maybe it wound up on the cutting room floor :
Old 07-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #18
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twista
I was mearly pointing out if Mt.Doom was erupting - it didnt do so properly. lol
Now that you mention it, it surprizes me, too. I'd think that an eruption of Mt. Doom would be as intensely fatal as possible.

But Draken's information helps, I think. I think of the eruption as some violent, spiteful response to the Ring's destruction--perhaps a manefestation of its extreme evil being suddenly dispersed, or Sauron communicating his last breath (nnnNNNNNOOOOOObshsbbsbshhhshshshshsshsBOOOOOMmm!! ! ) Anyway, it would not have been a prolonged eruption and wouldn't have slowed down at any time.