Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
Olmer
Elf Lord

Why Galadriel's gift to Boromir - a belt?

I was thinking about gifts which she doled out:some of them were plain stupid (like the hair) or comletely unpractical (like the box of earth, which Sam had to heave to Mt.Doom without a hope of coming back).
Seems only gifts which were suiting for the quest (meaning fighting with the Dark forces) had been given to Frodo, Aragorn and Legolas.

All right, Merry and Pippin was not expected to do a great deeds, so their silver adorements are quite understandable, but Boromir... He was the great warrier, matching in skill and knowledge to Aragorn, and he was engaged in much more open fights with their mutual Enemy than Aragorn. Couldn't she give him something more useful than puny golden belt, like they did not have gold in Gondor?! What was the meaning of such gift?

Last edited by Olmer : 05-10-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

maybe she knew he was going to die soon, and so didnt feel the need in wasting her hard-earned cash on someone that wouldn't need something good.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Well, for one, Boromir already had quite good arms, being a soldier of Gondor and the first son of the Steward.

I think the giving of a golden belt, as opposed to a simple leather one, is significant. Boromir was from an ancient house, obviously not as old as Aragorn's, and unlike Aragorn, Boromir wore openly the devices of that house.

I do note however, that Aragorn does also have some of the devices of of the house of Elendil, such as the ring of Barahir, but generally he conceals his lineage.

The gift of a Golden belt is merely a gift to a prominent man from prominent elves. After all, he already has a sword.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenir_LacDanan
Well, for one, Boromir already had quite good arms, being a soldier of Gondor and the first son of the Steward.

I think the giving of a golden belt, as opposed to a simple leather one, is significant. Boromir was from an ancient house, obviously not as old as Aragorn's, and unlike Aragorn, Boromir wore openly the devices of that house.

I do note however, that Aragorn does also have some of the devices of of the house of Elendil, such as the ring of Barahir, but generally he conceals his lineage.

The gift of a Golden belt is merely a gift to a prominent man from prominent elves. After all, he already has a sword.
According to the Tale of the Years Aragorn gives the Ring of Barahir to Arwen.

Quote:
2980: Aragorn enters Lorien, and there meets again Arwen Undomiel. Aragorn gives her the Ring of Barahir, and they plight their troth upon the hill of Cerin Amroth
The only token he does bear is Anduril, yet he openly proclaims that as the sword of Elendil.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quite right, TD!
Perhaps that is why Galadriel has given him the Elessar at this point. The stone's main virtue was to enable the wielder to see things unsullied by time, hardly a necessary thing in the time of war. She could have given it later, after the final victory, before coronation. So why give it in Lorien? As a token of Aragorn's identity most likely, meant for the Dead of Dunharrow, something to prove Aragorn's claim to kinship as a heir of Isildur. Isildur had a similar stone (Elendilmir) worn constantly upon his brow. The Dead could hardly recognise Anduril, as at the time of the Last Alliance when they were cursed by Isildur the sword belonged to Elendil still. And Aragorn (unlike in the movie) did not show it to them. Elendilmir shone bright even in the spirit world, so the Dead could easily see it.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Manveru
Elven Warrior

maybe she wanted to give boromir something that he could wear so that when faramir saw him in the boat later he would notice the belt.
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:04 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Quite right, TD!
Perhaps that is why Galadriel has given him the Elessar at this point.
Perhaps, but I also think that the Elessar was given as an acknowledgement of the future union between Aragorn and Arwen. Galadriel is after all Arwen's grandmother. This acknowledgement gives hope to Aragorn, and increases his self-confidence.

As for the gift to Boromir, I think Manveru has a good point. Some of Galadriel's other gifts also points forward to some extent. Frodo's phial saves him from Shelob, Sam's box of earth is vital for the re-building of the Shire, the bow of Legolas kills the steed of one of the Nazgul. The golden belt of Lorien is what makes Frodo certain that it really was Boromir that Faramir had seen in the stream. I also think that Galadriel feared for Boromir, that she knew how torn he was between his pligh of helping Frodo to destroy the Ring, and his love for and desire to rescue Minas Tirith. As LCoU said (though I don't know about hard-earned cash ), maybe she had some kind of foreknowledge of his fate.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
I was thinking about gifts which she doled out:some of them were plain stupid (like the hair) or comletely unpractical (like the box of earth, which Sam had to heave to Mt.Doom without a hope of coming back).
Seems only gifts which were suiting for the quest (meaning fighting with the Dark forces) had been given to Frodo, Aragorn and Legolas.

. . . What was the meaning of such gift?
Gimli chose the lock of hair, so I do not think it is fair to blame Galadriel's gift in that case.

I cannot think of a good "practical" use for the gold belt, unless Boromir pants appeared to be slipping.

Maybe Galadriel percieved that Boromir had misgivings about the elves and thought that the gift would do something to help repair the relationship between men and elves. If Boromir had a positive opinion of Galadriel and "her elves" he could encourage good will of Gondor towards Lothlorien. Boromir's standing in Gondor could do much to influence the public opinion favorably regarding Lothlorien.

Maybe the belt was really pyrite and everyone else in the party are ignorant about the mineral. (There is Dwarvish silver, maybe this is Elvish gold.)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 05-10-2005 at 09:40 AM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #9
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Not only Boromir got a belt, but Merry and Pip got silver belts as well. I think Galadriel wanted to give isome important and useful gifts: phial to Frodo, ElessarII or is it III? to Aragorn. But she could not leave the others totaly empty-handed. Hence gifts like belts. Nothing of importance, really IMHO.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

It just ocered to me! Tolken had wrighters block...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
The only token he does bear is Anduril, yet he openly proclaims that as the sword of Elendil...
Quote:
…but generally he conceals his lineage
Generally from the beginning, but after Lothlorien he grew more bold, calling himself in full title without any awkwardness.
Quote:
Legolas had the bow too.
If Celeborn had ever allowed to voice his opinion, probably a gift to the prominent man-warrier from the prominent elf-warrier would be one of so fabled elf-made daggers, which would be handy no matter how much of your arms you have in store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
Gimli chose the lock of hair, so I do not think it is fair to blame Galadriel's gift in that case.
Gimli was not in condition to hope for anything more substantial,especially when it was asked in the way like:I know that your kind are greedy and ill-mannered and I dare you to prove one way or another, this why he asked for a piece of hair. Did he know that Noldor princess has estimed her hair so much, that considered 3 hair(!!) as a precious prize! After all she refused to give it even to Feanor, so to Gimli has been given an impression that he got a really big favor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
Boromir's standing in Gondor could do much to influence the public opinion favorably regarding Lothlorien..
Quote:
But she could not leave the others totaly empty-handed. Hence gifts like belts. Nothing of importance, really ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
... maybe she had some kind of foreknowledge of his fate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
…maybe she knew he was going to die soon…
Boromir was a stop-over between Aragorn and the kingship. Without any doubts his opinion as very popular and well respected leader of Gondor’s army would influence public’s acceptance on the claimant for the throne of Gondor.
But, seems Galadriel was not interested in the endorsement of public opinion in Gondor. In this case I agree with gordis , Artanis and LCoU, she foresaw Boromir’s fate (or maybe has planned it ), this why the gift was nothing of significance.

Quote:
Elendilmir shone bright even in the spirit world, so the Dead could easily see it...
Actually, Elendimir ,which he supposedly was carrying around, was of lesser kind and did not have the potency of the original.

Last edited by Olmer : 05-11-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Gimli was not in condition to hope for anything more substantial,especially when it was asked in the way like:I know that your kind are greedy and ill-mannered and I dare you to prove one way or another, this why he asked for a piece of hair. Did he know that Noldor princess has estimed her hair so much, that considered 3 hair(!!) as a precious prize! After all she refused to give it even to Feanor, so to Gimli has been given an impression that he got a really big favor.
Gimli had his own resons for makeing the request for hair:

1.Gimli was bald (Just kidding but were in LotR did tolken say he had hair?)

2.Gimli was asking for something to remember Gladreal by.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #13
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

How about that:
Gimly: May I have that shiny ringie Frodo told you had on your finger? It is just to remember you by...
Old 05-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Among the gifts, those the purpuse of which I can understand seem to me to have mostly a symbolica meaning, albeit some of them also have an incidental practical meaning.
Frodo's phial is the quintessential symbolism
Aragorn's gift is also easy to see as symbolical
Legiolas's more majestic bow, is also obviously about his "growth"
Gimli's is a great gift, symbol of eternal remembrance to somebody who overcame his prejudices towards her
Sam's is the symbol of regrowth after what he saw in the mirror

Indeed Boromir's gift is the most difficult to understand. I wonder whether the fact that it was "gold with no purpose" is indeed the symbolical meaning of it

Quote:
comletely unpractical (like the box of earth, which Sam had to heave to Mt.Doom without a hope of coming back).
No. Sam brings the box back to the Shire and uses both the earth and the mallorn seed in it
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #15
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
No. Sam brings the box back to the Shire and uses both the earth and the mallorn seed in it
I think (If I understand correctly Olmer's question) that Olmer meant that gift was not practical for the current quest (fighting with [probably should have used against although I am not always certain with Olmer's posts] the Dark forces).

Quote:
It is not that Sam's gift was not useful (eventually), it is that it did little good for the current quest.

Quote:
I will need to read up of this part again. I some how do not remember that wording in LOTR.
I do not know if Gimli knew ". . . that Noldor princess has estimed her hair so much, that considered 3 hair(!!) as a precious prize!"
I am ignorant of Galadriel's refusal to give hair to Feanor.

Do you have any statements from LOTR (or if needed from other Tolkien sources) that back up your statement? I am just curious.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #16
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
Indeed Boromir's gift is the most difficult to understand. I wonder whether the fact that it was "gold with no purpose" is indeed the symbolical meaning of it
It doesnt seem that anyone has touched on this theory since you mentioned it Wizard from Milan, but I like it a lot. Boromir's father Denathor and even himself Bromir were like the belt, noble, majestic, high class, but in the time of the return of the king... close to useless.(If you get my meaning) Furthermore the golden belts seeminly uselessness could be symbolic again in Boromir's understanding of the ring... the golden belt, golden one ring. The ring should not be used, although it is a golden treasure beyond treasures it should not be used and therefore would be rendered useless. A lesson Boromir failed to learn. The belt along with everthing else at the least had a symbolic value and I feel that that at least can be said on the purpose on each gift.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:04 AM   #17
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
A lesson Boromir failed to learn.
Some people, even those who read the book, percieve Boromir as a person driven by the greed to the point of disgust. His inner gentle sides , his honesty and straightforwardnes, his bravery defending his country, for which he was high esteemed amongst his people, his noble notions to use the ring not for his sake, but to SAVE THE PEOPLE are very easily discarded, labeling him "corupted".
Nothing surprising if he, as experienced in the war with Sauron commander, did not believe in this rag-tag's ability to breach Saurons bastion! He knew the terrain and Sauron's capabilities much better than anybody else. Nobody was brave enough to oppose the decision of the Elves. Only Boromir had the guts to stand up and voice his opinion, for which he gained in my eyes much higher respect then Aragorn.

The fact that he withstood the Ring's allure longer than so hight -estimed and so unfailable Galadriel somehow is passing unnoticed.What would she do if would has been in close proximity to the Ring for such long time, when she almost grabbed it at the first sight!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:29 AM   #18
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Some people, even those who read the book, percieve Boromir as a person driven by the greed to the point of disgust. His inner gentle sides , his honesty and straightforwardnes, his bravery defending his country, for which he was high esteemed amongst his people, his noble notions to use the ring not for his sake, but to SAVE THE PEOPLE are very easily discarded, labeling him "corupted".
Nothing surprising if he, as experienced in the war with Sauron commander, did not believe in this rag-tag's ability to breach Saurons bastion! He knew the terrain and Sauron's capabilities much better than anybody else. Nobody was brave enough to oppose the decision of the Elves. Only Boromir had the guts to stand up and voice his opinion, for which he gained in my eyes much higher respect then Aragorn.

The fact that he withstood the Ring's allure longer than so hight -estimed and so unfailable Galadriel somehow is passing unnoticed.What would she do if would has been in close proximity to the Ring for such long time, when she almost grabbed it at the first sight!

Olmer makes a good point here. Boromir's "fall" was not one of greed, it was one of pride. He thought that he or his father would prove able to master the Ring and by mastering it throw down Sauron and so save Gondor and the rest of the Free Peoples of Middle Earth. Misguided intentions, but good ones nonetheless. The nature of the Ring was to take good intentions and twist them to evil ends, as Gandalf himself indicates when he describes what would happen should he (or Saruman) take the Ring.

So I have to disagree that the gold belt signifies anything to do with greed or moral failure or "uselessness."

Naturally I also disagree with Olmer's reading of Boromir vs. Aragorn. Boromir was young, and Boromir had a point: how long does one need to be a "steward" when there is no king who will return? The quest was a hopeless one, but so equally, if not more so, would be turning aside to take the Ring to Gondor and expect a man, Numenorean or not, to master the Ring in time to be a threat to Sauron.

Aragorn eschewed the Ring and the path to power, and if any man could have mastered the Ring it would be he (after all he likewise wrested the palantir from Sauron's control) and he certainly had greater claim on the Ring than Boromir by lineage and for all the same reasons, had the greater spirit, knowledge, and insight. So, yes, honor Boromir for his courage, but don't take from Aragorn for his part.
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:47 AM   #19
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I agree with you Olmer, apart from the Boromir vs Aragorn part and the Galadriel part.
FB explained my POV in his post so I'll just skip straight to Galadriel.
I think it is unfair that you compare her 'lust' for the Ring with Boromir's. Boromir wanted the Ring to help his country and his land, but he didn't know the Rings potential and full power whereas Galadriel did. Naturally a object of high power attracts for attention and creates more lust than one of little power.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #20
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
What would [Galadriel] do if would has been in close proximity to the Ring for such long time, when she almost grabbed it at the first sight!
My impression was that Galadriel was tempted at first sight, but that after overcoming her first temptation should would not be tempted again
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote