Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 AM   #1
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Arwen Undomiel If you were half-elf would you be mort or imortal

The other day me and my brother were wandering if you were half-elf would you rather be off the race of men or would you be an elf.
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
ANSWER THIS SOMEONE
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
Old 03-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
strider8
Elven Warrior

please!!!!!!!!!
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
Old 03-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
inked
Elf Lord

You would get to choose.

Elrond chose to be elf. His brother chose to be mortal.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

actually I thought it was the children of the half elven who got to chose. I didnt think Elrond got to choose but I know his kids did. But IM going to interpret this thread differently. If you got to choose which would you pick. I think I would go immortal cuz I dont know it would be nice to get to see so much of what happened.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i would choose the life of the eldar, i would hate having to die
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:05 AM   #7
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
actually I thought it was the children of the half elven who got to chose. I didnt think Elrond got to choose but I know his kids did. But IM going to interpret this thread differently. If you got to choose which would you pick. I think I would go immortal cuz I dont know it would be nice to get to see so much of what happened.
No. Earendil, had the choice, as did Elrond, Elros, Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen. I wonder why Elros's children didn't get the choice when Elrond's did.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

This belongs in the ME forum, so it has been moved. Also, this has been discussed before, so if you wish to see more opinions on the subject, try a seach. Finally, please remember that posting three times in a row can be considered spamming. Try to be patient when awaiting replies. Thanks.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Beor
founder of the color blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
No. Earendil, had the choice, as did Elrond, Elros, Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen. I wonder why Elros's children didn't get the choice when Elrond's did.

Because then there would be too many half elven people running around, and the story of Numenor would lose impact. Plus, eventually, the strain of half elven genes would wear thin, and eventually you would have 1/32 elven people running around wondering why they dont get the choice to be elves.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
i would choose the life of the eldar, i would hate having to die
Well I've got some bad news for you my friend...

I have absolutely no idea what I'd choose in this situation. On the one hand, there's Tuck Everlasting. Immortality can be a dangerous thing. On the other hand, it can be a wonderful thing! Then again, I don't mind being mortal right now. But if I was immortal would I choose to be mortal...?

Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #11
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurvi
Well I've got some bad news for you my friend...
you mean, no, you must be joking, we all know the great spider will live forevermore mwahahahaha
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
Beor

Oh, also, I would choose to be numbered among the mortals. Dang snooty elves! grumble grumble
Old 04-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I would think that the biggest reason as to why Elros' children would not be given a choice was because of Elros' choice. He chose mortality, to be of the race of Men, so his descendants would also be mortal I would think.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:24 AM   #14
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Can't all elves later chose to die evnetually anyway? Arwen was born immortal because her father chose immortality for himself and I guess ergo his children, and marrying Aragorn didn't make her half-elven and force her to pick between mortality or immortality, but she surrendered her immortality anyway.

If that's the case, I'd chose to be immortal, since it isn't really immortal anyway.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:41 AM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Can't all elves later chose to die evnetually anyway? Arwen was born immortal because her father chose immortality for himself and I guess ergo his children, and marrying Aragorn didn't make her half-elven and force her to pick between mortality or immortality, but she surrendered her immortality anyway.

If that's the case, I'd chose to be immortal, since it isn't really immortal anyway.
All Elves could not choose death. We have exceptions such as Luthien and Miriel, where they lay themselves down and depart from their bodies to Mandos. However, they can return to life, but some chose not to return to life, as Miriel and Aegnor did, and would remain in the halls of Mandos to the end of the world.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 04-02-2005, 03:51 AM   #16
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I would think that the biggest reason as to why Elros' children would not be given a choice was because of Elros' choice. He chose mortality, to be of the race of Men, so his descendants would also be mortal I would think.
Then why did Elrond's children? Elrond chose to be one of the Elves so how did his children get the choice?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Then why did Elrond's children? Elrond chose to be one of the Elves so how did his children get the choice?
It would seem that by Elros choosing to be mortal, he was now a Man and the choice stopped there for his descendants, meaning that once he was a mortal, all of his children would be mortal. Elrond however, chose to be of the Eldar and immortal, but this did not stop with his choice, because his children would be more Elven than human, and therefore must be given the choice as well.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 04-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #18
Beor

It seems to me that in Tolkien's mythology, mortality is the greater gift, which may be why it did stop with elros.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #19
Morgoth the Elfbit
Hobbit

Location: I split my time between Mordor and your Imagination
I dont know about immortality being the greater gift. Remember originally death wasnt considered bad for men. Only after Morgoth confused their idea of it did they begin to envy elves. Elves also envied men for their gift of not being bound to this world. I think they are both equal but for me I would pick immortality.

Here is my permanent apology for off-topicing. If I do it, which i will, I am sorry. I feel bad about it but being an elfbit messes with your head and things get wonky so spamming is almost inevitable. There will be good replys but for when I do off-topic I am deeply sorry.

Offical title: Morgoth the Elfbit: Un-Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

At Your Service.... BOW TO ME!

Miranda Otto is hot!

I Kinda Like Feanor.... (meep)
Morgoth the Elfbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #20
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
It would seem that by Elros choosing to be mortal, he was now a Man and the choice stopped there for his descendants, meaning that once he was a mortal, all of his children would be mortal. Elrond however, chose to be of the Eldar and immortal, but this did not stop with his choice, because his children would be more Elven than human, and therefore must be given the choice as well.
Your post really solidified this concept for me. I see it as Elrond's children also being immortal, but like Elros (who was born immortal), they could also choose mortality.

I guess it only goes immortality > mortality and not the other way around.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote