Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Gandalf the White

A new annoying, semi-philosophical question for you to ponder! Aren't you so very lucky?

"Yes, I am white now," said Gandalf. "Indeed I am Saruman, one might almost say, Saruman as he should have been" (The Two Towers, The White Rider).

At first glance, I don't think there is anything extraordinary in this quote. Ironic, yes; especially remarkable, no.

However, on second thought, I wonder what exactly is meant by this line. How can he almost be Saruman? In essence, the two of them appear to be completely different. Saruman is a Maia of Aulë, one concerned primarily with skill. Gandalf, on the other hand, dwelt in Lórien but was taught by Nienna. To me, their backgrounds seem completely different. It is almost like saying... that Finarfin is Fëanor as he should have been...

Am I analysing this quote too much? Does it simply mean that Gandalf has been sent back to play the role that Saruman should have filled?

Or is the nature of the Maiar different and more... fluid, for lack of a better word, than I had imagined? Just what sort of transformation did Gandalf truly undergo?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

Gandalf achieved what Saruman could have achieved. However, Eru gave his creatures free will. Gandalf was the only one of the Istari who achieved the goals for which they had been sent. The two blue Istari pass out of the story, though there are interesting speculations about their achievements or lack of them on some threads here. Radagast the Brown became over-enamoured of the birds, beasts and creatures (non-sentient) of Middle Earth. Saruman became enamoured of the way he would run the world and the power to accomplish that, secondarily overcome by the lust for that power in the Ring rather than Eru. Gandalf was the only one who remained true to the mission by his choices. It is true that he may not have been the best and brightest of the Istari, his humility often suggests that is how he views himself, but in this sentence we see what faithfulness to Eru can accomplish - even through the apparent catastrophe of self-sacrifice and death.

Had the Istari remained true to Eru and their mission, many calamities might have been avoided. Tolkien makes again obvious that choices make the man, the hobbit, the elf, the dwarf, and the Istari and Maiar and Ainur.

Choose wisely! And know that even so for much gain to one's self, society, or world, much must be ventured and nothing is assured save by such hopeful faith!

edit: It is instructive to read this passage against Saruman's words to Gandalf when the latter was captive at Isenguard and Galadriel's temptation ( or re-temptation to a previous error, in fact). Thus Tolkien gives us pictures of the Saruman, tempted and falling into self-will, Galadriel, fallen and repentant and redeeming her self in her refusal of the Ring, and Gandalf, the one who though tempted remains true.

It was after the Silmarillion became available that this meditation became clear. The great background of Creation, fall of the rebellious Ainur, and history of elves, dwarves, and men was needed to put it all together.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 02-15-2005 at 10:20 AM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
Blackheart
Elf Lord

perhaps... If Olorian had been appointed as head of the istari before they left Valinor he would have been wearing white...

And, when he got back from Valinor after a little balrog induced side trip, he was the head of the istari, because Saruman had been revoked due to his treachery...

But if you remember, Gandalf had some difficulty recalling his "mortal" life. The istari "appeared" as aged men. But that was not their true form. It wasn't even their chosen form.

It's possible that their forms were chosen for them, and they were given 'roles' to play. Saruman chose not to play his role in the intended manner, so a new player was sent. It happened to be Olorian, this time garbed as "the white".

It's definately more than a mere role, however, if you are given a new body to inhabit....

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 02-15-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

According to unfinished tales Manwe himself selected Olorin (Gandalf) to go as the third messenger to Middle Earth. Olorin replied that he was too weak for the task and that he feared Sauron. Manwe replied "all the more reason he should go" and he commanded Olorin to do so. Varda then looked up and said "not as the third" and Saruman remembered it.

Saruman's ability to succeed in the task was in question right from the beginning at least by Manwe and Varda and probably others as well. I don't think His failure was much of a surprise to the "wise". Cirdan gave Gandalf the ring of fire and Galadriel wanted him to head the council so whatever Manwe and Varda saw was also seen right away in ME by the Elves as well.

It is also very "Tolkien" to have the strongest and proudest fail while the humble and weaker succeed because of a selfless devotion to duty.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 02-15-2005 at 11:41 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

I actually think that JRRT is equating role with essence in this quote. So after Gandalf's coming back from Moria he takes the role of Saruman and therefore he is Saruman (almost)
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
mewhmag
Sapling

i agree what has been said on the original mission of the Istari.

because Saruman went beyond the original mission of help by giving advise, spiritual support and encouragement for the people of middle-earth, and misused his freedom to gain power for himself by actively taking part in the matters, he "fell", and Gandalf moved up one "rank".

just do add another perspective, note that Gandalf did not push in, but tried to convince Saruman of his duty. so Gandalf was both true in keeping the original mission and the group hierarchy. he did not choose by himself to become Gandalf the White. that seems to be an important point IMHO.
mewhmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by squinteyedsoutherner
Varda then looked up and said "not as the third" and Saruman remembered it...Saruman's ability to succeed in the task was in question right from the beginning at least by Manwe and Varda and probably others as well.
Then why was he (sauruman) "the white"? That determination would have been made either in Valinor, or amongst the istari themselves.

I'm not referring to the white counsel, but the istari themselves. And there seems to have been a ranking involved, else why would it matter what color Gandalf returned as?

Literary devices are a side note, it's disingenious to say saruman was head of the istari because the author wanted to set up a straw man to fail... Sure it's dramatic and makes a good story, but it's not internally consistent.

It makes more sense if you posit that the istari sorted themselves out before they appeared on the shores of middle earth. One could imagine Saruman saying he was in charge, and the others saying.. ok, go for it.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 02-16-2005 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Damn you for inventing spelling!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
It is instructive to read this passage against Saruman's words to Gandalf when the latter was captive at Isenguard and Galadriel's temptation ( or re-temptation to a previous error, in fact). Thus Tolkien gives us pictures of the Saruman, tempted and falling into self-will, Galadriel, fallen and repentant and redeeming her self in her refusal of the Ring, and Gandalf, the one who though tempted remains true.
Nice post Inked. Gandalf is also tempted at Bag End, but refuses to even touch the Ring. I think he was tempted because he explains that he would have started our using the Ring for good, but would eventually succumb to its evil. At this point, he wasn't particularly versed in Ring-lore, having to go do some research before he can confirm it is in fact the One Ring (something like 16 years later).

You guys all make very interesting points - nice thread El.

Didn't Galadriel say somewhere she had wanted Gandalf to be the leader? This suggests that she and maybe other Elves either had influence over the situation, or at least could observe it happening.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #9
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

I didn’t say Saruman was head of the Istari as a "straw man set up to fail” I just pointed out that his failure was very "Tolkien" and I think that to be true. I've always been of the impression that Saruman was "the white" because he was unquestionably the most "powerful" (if that is the correct term to use) of the Istari. The concerns of Manwe, Varda, Cirdan and Galadriel were issues relating to Saruman's character (which would ultimately effect his ability to succeed or fail in a task of this nature).

I’ve always taken Manwe’s response to Gandalf’s hesitancy to join the task “all the more reason he should go” to imply that there was a suspicion among the wise in Valinor that despite being the most "powerful" Saruman lacked the appropriate respect for Sauron and in particular Sauron’s ability to corrupt and therefore he was vulnerable. So ultimately Saruman is the greatest weapon but also potentially a very weak link.

I also think it difficult to separate the literary devices from the story or "physics" of Middle Earth. I’m not sure exactly how the colours of the Istari relate to their inherent abilities or ambitions in ME; but the literary and symbolic significance of something that was once white fracturing into it’s constituent parts (“many colours”) after a great treachery is surely no accident.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 02-19-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
I’ve always taken Manwe’s response to Gandalf’s hesitancy to join the task “all the more reason he should go” to imply that there was a suspicion among the wise in Valinor that despite being the most "powerful" Saruman lacked the appropriate respect for Sauron and in particular Sauron’s ability to corrupt and therefore he was vulnerable. So ultimately Saruman is the greatest weapon but also potentially a very weak link.
This is an interesting idea I have not thought of exactly in those terms before. I had assumed that Olorin was a very powerful Maia, and because with his power, he also had knowledge of his limitations, he was more powerful than Saruman. Saruman, however had much more ambition, and could show his power in much more concrete ways, so it would seem upon appearances that he was more powerful. However, in his pride, he lacked the ability to truly judge his limitations, and because he concerned himself with more physical manifestations of power, he lacked the relationships in ME that would have brought him to a point where he would be willing to sacrifice himself for others.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Embladyne, I agree with most of what you wrote. An Istari can be measured in many ways, and I believe even Gandalf the Grey would be deemed "superior" to Saruman by many measurements. But Saruman did hold Gandalf against his will when push came to shove, and it is to that quality of "power" that I was referring above. I also think that the "wise" recognised the limitation of that type of strength in this specific task which is why so many seem to have realised that Gandalf and not Saruman would be Sauron's greatest foe.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #12
Blackheart
Elf Lord

I still say the only way the "color rankings" make any real sense is that the istari sorted themselves out, and chose their own "rankings" amongst themsleves. Perhaps leadership was more due to their individual personalities and chosen tactics than any real idea of "rank".

Note that Radagast was brown, the color of the earth. Grey is the color of humility, Blue the Sky. White is traditionally the color of divine power and light...

Gandalf's change in color may have more to do with a change in the new role he was to play than any internal change in ranking. If anyone was to directly oppose Sauron "the black", it would need to be the white wizard. I could easily see Saruman being a first choice for the role of direct opposition.

Of course, there was also the idea that direct opposition was likely to be a fruitless task. It was Gandalf the Grey (grey is humility remember) who initiated the downfall of Sauron by sending a hobbit off with the ring...

Here's a pretty question, would Gandalf the White (divine power and direct opposition) have done the same thing?

Old 02-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #13
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Here's a pretty question, would Gandalf the White (divine power and direct opposition) have done the same thing?
I think you're suggesting, basically, that Gandalf the White is not the same in nature as Gandalf the Grey.

It is a pretty question. I say no, but I have no real support.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #14
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Saruman's power was in craftsmanship and the skill of the hand whereas Gandalf's power lay within his wisdom and his knowledge. In that respect Gandalf was much more powerful than any ither on ME but the power Saruman posessed was mor obvious and easier to see which is why he was known as more powerful, which in a respect was true.

Why though, was Saruman known as the Wise, and Gandalf was not? Was it because he had studied the enemies crafts and learned many of his ways?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:55 PM   #15
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

I still think that by the most basic definition of "power" Saruman was stronger. He held Gandalf against his will, to me that is adequate proof of his strength. When Gandalf returns he is clearly the more "powerful". As I said above there are other ways to measure the Istari though.

I agree with your comments about Gandalf and wisdom and Saruman and the skill of craft, after all, it was Aule who chose him according to unfinished tales. However, we must remember that one of Saruman's greatest abilities was the power of his voice to persuade, when we add to this that the mission of the Istari was to inspire resistance to Sauron the potential of Saruman as a positive force was huge. Obviously he squandered his abilities as we all know.

I think Saruman became known as the wise because he hoarded a lot of knowledge at Isengard (not sharing with others in the council) and he also spent a lot of time reading in the archives of Minas Tirith. I think Gandalf recalls being asked what he expects to learn that Saruman doesn't already know (since Saruman had already spent so much time there) I always got the impression that Saruman did a lot of “putting 2 and 2 together” so to speak.

Studying the enemy as "closely" as he did would be a big part of why many thought him wise, it was also exactly why Manwe was worried IMHO. Saruman delved into things that “pulled him in” things that Gandalf would have avoided. That to me is one of the best examples of how Gandalf was intuitively wiser.

Does anyone know what can definitively be said about the colours, actual text?

I always thought Saruman himself instigated the changed to "many colours" is there any evidence that it happened because of his actions and then he just embraced the change?

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 02-21-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #16
Blackheart
Elf Lord

If I recall correctly, Sauruman had essayed a small bit of ring making himself...

I don't particularly know if it makes sense to regard an istari's colors as a badge...

I would make an argument that the colors were more linked to the individual's essencse...

After Saruman began his downward slide, he was no longer "white" ... but he wasn't entirely black either, in so much as he didn't want Saruon to win... not if there were any other options. (So let me have the ring 'ol buddy Gandalf.. you gave it to a hobbit!? Well I hope she was worth it.... HE?)

I think he actually believed that he was on the right path for a long time, until it was far too late to turn back... At which point he was Sauruman of the many colors. Someone who desired to possess or control everything... Had he succeded he would have then fallen even further to become Saruman the black, the new dark lord...

Old 02-22-2005, 03:44 AM   #17
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
I still think that by the most basic definition of "power" Saruman was stronger. He held Gandalf against his will, to me that is adequate proof of his strength. When Gandalf returns he is clearly the more "powerful". As I said above there are other ways to measure the Istari though.
Then wouldn't that be seen as strength, not power? These two things can be different. Power can be used as I stated above, but strength can mean one of two things IMO. Mental strength, which both Gandalf and Saruman had, and physical strength. Arguably both Saruman and Gandalf had this two, but I would associate this more with someone who is reknowned for craftsmanship, not wisdom.

Gandalf probably used this wisdom not to try and escape from Isengard. He was almost sure that Radagast hadn't been corrupted by Saruman so there was no reason for Radagast not to do as Gandalf asked. Even if a creature that couldn't bear Gandalf away from Isengard came, they could at least bear tidings of his capture to Rivendell. Also I think Gandalf had a bit more sense than to try and escape from an Isengard filled with Orcs and Wolves.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:40 AM   #18
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

I agree with what you are saying Dunedain perhaps I should have used the word "strength" as opposed to "power". I think we are saying the same thing with different words (if I understand you correctly).

Interesting what you say about Gandalf being held at Isengard.....something to think about!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:44 AM   #19
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Some useful quotes:

From Unfinished Tales

"The first to come was one of noble mien and bearing, with raven hair and a fair voice, and he was clad in white; great skill he had in works of hand, and he was regarded by well-nigh all, even by the Eldar, as the head of the Order. (here there is a foot note pointing out that Gandalf also says this at the council of Elrond “Saruman the White is the greatest of my order”)"

"And last came one who seemed least, less tall than the others and in looks more aged, grey haired and leaning on a staff. But Cirdan divined in him the greatest spirit and the wisest; and welcomed him with reverence."

“Who would go? for they must be mighty, peers of Sauron, but must forgo might, and clothe themselves in a flesh so as to treat on equality and win the trust of Elves and Men. But this would imperil them, dimming their wisdom and knowledge, and confusing them with fears, cares, and wearinesses coming from the flesh”. But two only came forward: Curumo, who was chosen by Aule and Alatar who was chosen by Orome. Then Manwe asked “where was Olorin, And Olorin was clad in grey, and having just entered from a journey had seated himself at the edge of the council, asked what Manwe would have of him. Manwe replied he wished Olorin to go as the third messenger to Middle-earth (Olorin was a lover of the Eldar who remained)But Olorin declared he was too weak for such a task and that he feared Sauron. Then Manwe said that that was all the more reason he should go and that he commanded Olorin. But at that Varda looked up and said “not as the third” and Curomo remembered it. "

The Silmarillion

"Of these Curunir was the eldest and came first and after him came Mithrander and Radagast, and others of the Istari who went into the East of Middle-earth and do not come into these tales".

I had forgotten (or perhaps never noticed) that it appears that they don’t come together on the same ship, it seems they are arriving one by one at different times. I also never noticed that Saruman is older than Gandalf (at least to me it seems Tolkien is referring to his age and not the fact the he has been in ME longer when he says eldest). It also seems in the Sil that Gandalf is not last to arrive but second although it does not precisely say that it seems implied; so it seems we may have some slight variation on that.
Tolkien’s use of the word “spirit” is interesting, I take it to mean “character” but I’m sure others will find different meanings.

I also never noticed that Olorin is already clad in grey in Valinor.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 02-22-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:52 PM   #20
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

"Spirit" is indeed an interesting word here.

One would assume that the "spirit" of each would be fixed, since they are Ainur. In which case, would it not be predictable that Saruman/Curunir would succumb to pride and evil?

I guess we have to infer that Middle Earth held particular temptations even for the Ainur and that they couldn't therefore anticipate events. Or else that their knowledge of each others' (and their own) spirits were imperfect.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote