Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Nibs
Head Hollara

History

Interesting thought I had at work today... we've heard many stories from older folk about things in the past, things that are found in history books and the like... I realized the same will happen to us, and we'll be telling about the things that have happened or are happening now to our own grandchildren... what will we talk about, specifically? A few things come to my mind:

1. Actually witnessing the making and introduction of a gaming system with fewer than three dimensions. "Memory sticks?! What the heck is THAT?! In my day, we had to write the zeros and ones to load our games!!"

2. The sudden and inexplicable cross-over from briefs to boxers. That one's GOT to make it into the history books.

That's all that comes to mind for the moment... anybody else with ideas?
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Wars, government scandals, famous or infamous presidents, sporting events just to name a few....
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

The dominance of Reality tv.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

flash in the pan.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I was thinking about something similar last month. I was going to thread about it. This seems to be as good of a thread to add to the discussion.

During a revolutionary war reenactment - and with all the living history museums in NJ - where one can see life like it was in the 1700's, 1800's and 1900's it occurred to me - someday they will have living history musuems of us. That's sort of a strange thought. I figured one of the things they would have is mall museums and things.

At some point - when people live on the moon - the place where Armstrong walked will be a museum area - with tour guides.

Someday we wil probably have a reenactment of Martin Luther King Jr giving his speech in Washington. Sort of like what is done with the Lincoln/Douglas debates in Illinois. With people dressed in period clothing and all that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
During a revolutionary war reenactment - and with all the living history museums in NJ - where one can see life like it was in the 1700's, 1800's and 1900's it occurred to me - someday they will have living history musuems of us. That's sort of a strange thought. I figured one of the things they would have is mall museums and things.
Hopefully more than "reality" show reruns.

I have a pretty good idea of what my grandkids will ask. Things that changed the world or different cultrure trivia things they might not even see in their textbooks: when Bush said he'd made no mistakes in his presidency... if it's true that he was hospitalized because of a pretzel... when the final installment of Star Wars came out... 9/11 of course, and where was I when I heard the news... when LotR movies were made... when my birthday was made a national holiday... when we got Saddam... how hard did Castro fall off the stage? Lots of things along those lines.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
when LotR movies were made
I have to laugh here. After a few years - the movie will have been forgotten - and put on the scrap pile of the many other action movies. Hopefully they will get to see a TRUE depiction of the books on the movie screen (or holographic projection system).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

My grandkids won't forget LotR.

Of course I'll introduce them to the books too, but that's nothing I can tell first-hand.

I thought of another one: When the kids get old enough, I'll tell them about Bill Clinton's presidency too.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

The movies will go down with the same reverance as the Star Wars movies like em or not (and for better or worse). They certainly wont be forgotten in a few years.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
The movies will go down with the same reverance as the Star Wars movies like em or not (and for better or worse). They certainly wont be forgotten in a few years.
yeah they will. Except for LotR fans - I don't see much of the people who felt they were just a movie keeping them going. And for them to have actual staying power - that's what they would need. Star Wars had developed a HUGE folowing - that lasted a lot lot longer. Most people have moved on from them, whereas with Star Wars - people were still buying the toys and everything else - LONG after the movie had left the theater (I'm referring to the first movie, episode IV - New Hope).

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Well.... I know alot (two) of people who own the films but have never even watched them (or read the books). I must say, they dont know what they're missing, however much I dislike the films.

The films have a few more years to go...Star Wars is already going because of the bad prequels. But then again...only time can tell.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

The Star Wars films were elevated to cult like status because they broke ground and were epic in their delivery and appeal. The Lord of the Rings movies succeeded for the very same reasons. The film academy certainly recognized that where as they never really acknowledged that for Star Wars because it was "just science fiction". Sure, perhaps for some people who cant seperate book medium from film medium they will be forever loathed. But I can already see signs that they are approaching star wars like cult status. They are both highly successful tellings of the same myth really. And we identify with the archetype involved.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #13
Draken
Elf Lord

Like Nibs I think the interesting things to talk about are the little things that don't get written or broadcast about. Some things that come to mind are:

Walking over to the telly to change between the 3 available channels

The half penny coin (and before that, though it's a hazy memory, using shillings and pennies)

New cars that didn't have sound systems, ABS and central locking as standard

Writing programs with line numbers

Using a typewriter

Betamax

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nice ones Draken! The computer ones are good. I rember our first modem, what's the speed one slower from 56K?
EDIT: 24.8K - those were the days!

Dial-up. That's going in the history books. My brother and I can still imitate the sounds. Command prompt was a good one too. My dad also remembers using huge calculator computers that took up a whole room in university.

I don't think LOTR will be remembered with as much reverence as the original Star Wars movies (eps IV through VI). I say that will all objectivity.

I think the first chat conversations will be remembered. Maybe the whole l337 subculture. (Maybe not though.)

The debates over gay marriage will definitely be remembered, regardless of the outcome.

Other important events include the independence if East Timor from Indonesia and the more recent beginnings of a democracy in Afghanistan. Hamid Karzai (President) sure has his work cut out for him. I hope he succeeds, or succeeds to establish a setting for his successor to succeed. I hope Afghani's in a stable and peaceful country can look back on this time and say that Karzai is a hero.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #15
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I think the first chat conversations will be remembered. Maybe the whole l337 subculture. (Maybe not though.)
Rrrrrr....1337 had better b3 r3m3mb3r3d!!

heh heh, sorry about that.

I definitely think that the transition from large hulking things to nice, handy computers of today will be remembered. And remember tapes? I still use tapes and videos, but more and more, cds, dvds, ipods, minidisks....

Also, the digital camera. I still mainly prefer my SLR, but that's cause take photos for fun, and art stuff, and I'm crazy about old photo technology.

( I hope this wont occur to a more complete state than it already has...) Cooking food from scratch at home. Besides cookies and pies. Okay, cookies and pies count....mmmmm!!

oh, when snail mail was the only way...

This is prolly only important to me...when you had to hand out mad cash to get your favorite manga you had waited months or years to be released....well, it's still kinda like that, but getting better....and now I buy them in chinese....

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 01-14-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #16
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
l337 \/\/ill 83 |23?/\/\3/\/\83|23|), Im sure of it.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #17
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
l337 \/\/ill 83 |23?/\/\3/\/\83|23|), Im sure of it.
7|-|4|\||<5 !

My DA page
Old 01-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #18
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
I definitely think that the transition from large hulking things to nice, handy computers of today will be remembered. And remember tapes? I still use tapes and videos, but more and more, cds, dvds, ipods, minidisks....
Oh, I remember vynil records-- 45's.

Also,

you could only get cash from a bank (no ATMs) and only from 9 AM to 3 PM Monday through Friday.

Sliderules

256K computers

Cars without seat belts or air bags

The first time I saw "Frodo lives", and thought,
"Who is Frodo?"

You get the picture.

Grandchildren are not far down the road for me. I think I would rather listen to my grandchildren, rather than reminisce. If they ask me, I'll tell them what I know. Other than that, old people should speak only when spoken to.

Fear Complacency!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #19
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
7|-|4|\||<5 !
Oh my goodness I can read that.

Quote:
This is prolly only important to me...when you had to hand out mad cash to get your favorite manga you had waited months or years to be released....well, it's still kinda like that, but getting better....and now I buy them in chinese....
I feel your pain friend. Not as bad, but I feel it. ^.^ I'm a fan of Good Housekeeping, Sailor Moon and Dragonball myself.

I remember 48s (erm... the bigger ones), but not very well. I kinda caught the tail end of that technology. Tapes though, I remember all that good stuff. And VCRs. And the inevitable winding the mangled tape back inside... or leaving one on a car dashboard in the summer...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #20
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I remember 48s (erm... the bigger ones), but not very well. I
They were 33s. Bigger disk, lower RPMs

How about 8-tracks?

I didn't get to the stores that week, so I had to go right to cassettes.

Fear Complacency!