Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Lost

Has anyone been watching this?

I just discovered this show like 2 weeks ago or so, and it is AMAZING! Wednesday's episode was very good. No new episodes for another 3 weeks though ah well.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:20 AM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I watched the first episode the other night when they ran a repeat of it and I really liked it. I guess I'm going to watch it from now on because I've got to know what happens.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm a Lost fan, but it irritates me about how they keep showing reruns! I know it's expensive to produce a show, but come on! They could at least just make the season shorter. So do you guys have any ideas/ theories about the events on the show?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I'm gonna put my two cents in and then I'm going to leave: I think LOST is just another silly 'prime-time drama'. The only things worth watching are reruns of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' and 'Seinfeld'. K, I'm done. Fans, to 't again!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I enjoy Lost quite a bit. At first I thought it was entertaining but you really had to suspend your grip on reality. Then it was slowly revealed that there's something magical about the island.

Plus Mira Furlan's in it! She's the crazy French woman. (Though I keep thinking "Delenn has a shotgun!!" )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
azalea
Long lost mooter

I like all of the characters except that girly one whose stepbrother just died. I'm annoyed that Said and she are an item, because I like him. :s I wish it had been her they'd offed.
What do you think "the number" means/ what is its significance or connection to these events?
Old 04-23-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
HOBBIT

Why do you think that Rosie Gamgee? The shows you list as being the only thing worth watching are in different genres - they are sitcoms. Is your avatar of that crazy chick from "Firefly" ?

Lost is fantasy, drama, sci-fi, action, all mixed in one.

Lost is very well written and well done. It gets you thinking.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 04-24-2005, 04:30 AM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea
I like all of the characters except that girly one whose stepbrother just died. I'm annoyed that Said and she are an item, because I like him. :s I wish it had been her they'd offed.
What do you think "the number" means/ what is its significance or connection to these events?
You're talking about Shannon? The blonde who had asthma and Boone thought Sawyer had her extra puffers?

Boone DIES!? Nooooo Boone is cool. But Sayid is my favourite character. (Not just because he's really good looking! ) I also really like Merr- Charlie, and Hurley.

SPOILER for early in the season

When Charlie and Claire were kidnapped and Charlie was dropping those finger bandage things to try to leave a trail, did anyone else think, "The bandaids of Lorien do not fall lightly"?

EDIT:
There's two Babylon 5 connections to this show. Mira Furlan I already mentioned, but also the Korean guy (Sun's husband) is played by Daniel Dae Kim, who was Lt. John Matheson in Crusade.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 04-24-2005 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
azalea
Long lost mooter

I thought he'd be the first to go, but I guess he provides some dramatic tension.

My favorites are Sayid (yum), the black guy (yum), Dominic Monaghan (yum), Claire, the Korean woman, and Boone (dead ). I also love the bald guy's and Hurley's characters -- excellently portrayed -- as well as the obligatory "bad" guy (Sawyer). I accept Jack and the "main" woman as necessary, but am not crazy about either one (the actors are good, but you know me, I prefer a guy with some flaws, and that woman is just too skinny and perfect* ). But then, you have to have a hero and a love interest.
The French woman provides some interesting possiblities, also.
As you can see, I haven't remembered everyone's names yet.

* That's my major criticism of the show -- that, besides Hurley, every passenger who is a main character is perfectly fit, very thin, and great looking (even Claire, who looks nothing like your average woman 9 months pregnant, aside from the belly. No bloating, no chunky thighs, etc).
Old 04-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I like Kate (main woman). She's not perfect - she's a former criminal who doesn't trust anyone. I liked her quite a bit until she kissed Sawyer. Sawyer is the good-looking obligatory bad guy, but what was she thinking! Bah. (I know she thought he'd tell her where Shannon's asthma medicine was, but she didn't have to kiss him that long, or enjoy it that much. )

Jack... well, he doesn't know how to do CPR. And he's a doctor. But that's probably a script writing oversight. (Never bend the elbows. I don't care how strong you are, you don't have enough force to pump someone's heart through their breastbone with just your forearms.)

Locke = bald guy with all the knives. He is pretty cool alright.

I also like the dynamic between Michael (the black guy) and Sun (the Korean woman). They are just plain cool. I want to see more of Sun's backstory.
Quote:
Old 04-25-2005, 08:46 AM   #11
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I have seen all the episodes yet. Genius series. I think it i very good. It's only to the 14 ep or something here in Norway, we're a bit behind the states. (but I have seen up to ep 20..)
Old 04-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #12
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
Has anyone been watching this?

I just discovered this show like 2 weeks ago or so, and it is AMAZING! Wednesday's episode was very good. No new episodes for another 3 weeks though ah well.
I have not watched any episodes, although I have heard from some people that it is an interesting show.

I did not catch it in the beggining and I am not willing to jump in the middle of the series. (Same with 24--Although I may catch 24 on DVD to get caught up)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Why do you think that Rosie Gamgee?
Okay, everyone's going to hate me because I committed the unpardonable crime: I made my judgment without ever watching a whole episode of the show. Apologies. But I have seen bits and pieces, and what I've seen amounts to something I read in a Sweet Valley Twins book when I was 12. Besides, the acting was incredibly lame, and I usually measure a film or TV show by the acting first- which myor may not be the best way to go about measuring entertainment, but IMO entertainment is about stories, stories about people, and people about character. If a character is not portrayed convincingly, the personality becomes weak and the story is cheapened, somewhat. IMO.

Quote:
Lost is fantasy, drama, sci-fi, action, all mixed in one.
Lost is very well written and well done. It gets you thinking.
Forgive my snap-judgment- I shall recant if I ever see proof that the show's worth watching.

Quote:
The shows you list as being the only thing worth watching are in different genres - they are sitcoms.
Very true. That doesn't make them less entertaining, does it? Anyways, they're the only shows that appeal to me. I guess my statement about them being the only thing worth watching was a little (okay, more than a little) broad; let me amend: Whatever floats your boat..

Quote:
Is your avatar of that crazy chick from "Firefly" ?
Yes, crazy chick she is says I.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #14
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Lost is my favourite show ever. The episode in which Boone died and Turnip Head was born is my favourite so far.

Superb editing, cinematography, score. And an intriguing story with interesting characters to go with it.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Been enjoying this show as well - good to know that there are still high-quality shows bein' produced as well instead of those asshat fat-camp biggest-loser donald trump-type shows.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #16
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Been enjoying this show as well - good to know that there are still high-quality shows bein' produced as well instead of those asshat fat-camp biggest-loser donald trump-type shows.
Aww, BoP, don't tell me you're not addicted to Survivor.

I watched the first five or so episodes of Lost but have stopped watching it in the past few weeks (the show only started a few months ago here.) I am somewhat geekily thrilled when they mention Australia and when you hear an Aussie accent actually spoken by an Australian.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:33 PM   #17
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

What a geek.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:29 AM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

John, you shouldn't call yourself names.

Well, we just got the Lotto episode over here - it seems that despite the progression of the series, things are getting MORE mysterious, as opposed to less mysterious. The plot thickens, eh wot?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:04 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

I like how they show bits of everyone's life "before." I like Hurley, anyway, and that was a fun episode that added intrigue. Wonder what the numbers mean. Hurley line from the season finale:
"You've got some...Arzt...on you." That part was really shocking and yucky.

What did everyone think of the season finale? I was out of town and had to tape it, so I just got to see it. I really liked it -- very suspensful, and yet not so much that it will irritate me to wait for next season. I REALLY liked the twist that
when the "others" talked about wanting the BOY they really meant Walt and not Aaron! (Getting better with the names!) But it makes much more sense because of Walt's psychic abilities.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #20
HOBBIT

great season finale.... hey bop i'm surprised that you haven't just been downloading the epiosdes as they air in the states - that's what I would have done.

Finale doesn't really answer any questions, just raises dozens of new ones. But still really cool

spoiler comments on finale and stuff
arzt blowing up was cool, but was major predictable. he was obviously an expendable character, being only introduced the episode previous. the way he was talking about the explosive and waving it about, freakin obvious!

People watching it with me were screaming out that he was going to blow before he did.

Azalea -
I don't think that the "others" are the ones who took Walt, they looked like pirates to me.