Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
Lostyia Delr-Padroot
Enting

Location: on this little place called earth or is it middle earth
Gandalf well science your hear middle earth must of caught your eye so whats your fav. part?

i have to say i love the reactions and abitlities of the different races. i think each give middle earth a certain flaire. but which one i am not quite sure. i'll have to think in more detail about that. i also love how its grown science the thought/creation of middle earth. because at one time i believe middle earth was once the world we live in. i have to think the people who regurgitated it age geneiuses.
emokid, i.d. selling -metophysically
she raises her wooden flute to spite pavhowlh.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/612f359b.jpg

visit my site at http://cr8tivmind.proboards44.com/

Last edited by Lostyia Delr-Padroot : 11-17-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Lostyia Delr-Padroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Lostyia Delr-Padroot
Enting

Strider

i feel completely restless that no one has written out somethin so i am going to write a blurp about my two favorite races.
dragons and druids.
kinsin knew he was in trouble but had no clue what to do. this humongous creature towaring over him was scaring him. he could feel the heat from the creatures breath see the anger in its eyes, and almost touch its magnificant scales.wondering how it would be to fly with such amaising wings. they had to be fifteen stretches wide, maybe a little of an overexaggeration. then out of no where a little figure poped out, suddenly a gust of wind came by and the magnificant creature left. that is when kinsin knew what his future would be. he would become the best druid ever.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I read this as What is your LEAST favorite part of Middle Earth, and why.... It's been one of those days.... so I'm going to go with my "mistake". (more fun )
I never did *get* Huorns. Ents were so cool, but why would trees go bad....I know....angry at being chopped up and used by folks, but wood is such a building block for everything...it would have been nice to have the trees honored to be used for houses, furniture, warmth etc. Cranky mean trees with black hearts! Weird.

Didn't dragons smell really bad..and they were ruthless and greedy... I like Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, but I guess they were weirdos..or hippies!

Last edited by Lizra : 11-17-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #4
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
I like Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, but I guess they were weirdos..or hippies!
What's wrong with hippies? I like hippies

All the same, they're really interesting characters... my brother and I tend to like speculating about who exactly Bombadil was... and why the Ring had no effect on him...

stupid Ring... foolish Celebrimbor...

My favourite race has always been the Elves...especially the House of Finwe...

Now I'll go on my merry way and leave less obsessed people in peace

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:05 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I was a hippie ...but I needed drugs for my "magic powers".
Old 11-18-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Um, my favorite part of middle earth... how about everything? Okay, seriously... it's so hard to decide, but I think I also like the different races and the languages and... everything.... Um, I love the Elves and the hobbits. I also love the natural element of it, and the beauty. Because even though there are ugly parts, like Mordor and Isengard, much of Middle Earth is beautiful. I wish I could go to Middle Earth... and don't anyone dare tell me it's not real!!

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."

Last edited by ethuiliel : 11-18-2004 at 02:27 PM.
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I think the hobbits are about the single greatest imaginary race made up. I mean, a lot of people have created races more beautiful, more knowlegable, and certainly more long-lived than Men. Not to say that any of them compare to Tolkien's elves, but still, I think that the hobbits are really, well, great! They represent, without having to be wordy about it or in-your-face, all that is green and good in the world. They're short and often overlooked, but they don't mind. There were, before Bilbo, no famous hobbits, but they don't care. They're simple, and whatever they feel they don't hide it- anger, happiness, tears, whatever- and they aren't embarrassed by that. They are cool, and the neat thing about it is, if I met a hobbit on the street, I don't think I'd be too suprised, just beause- they're so real!

Another one of the things that I love about ME is all the romance. Faramir and Eowyn top the charts- or at least Faramir does - then there's Luthien and Beren, Aragorn and Arwen, even Niniel and her brother were kind of cool. This is the romantic stuff to die for!

As a side comment, I thought all live trees were really weird, Treebeard being one of the freakiest. Although I did like Old Man Willow (from a dramatic standpoint, he made more sense to me than the Ents).
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
Lostyia Delr-Padroot
Enting

dragons and huorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
I read this as What is your LEAST favorite part of Middle Earth, and why.... It's been one of those days.... so I'm going to go with my "mistake". (more fun )
I never did *get* Huorns. Ents were so cool, but why would trees go bad....I know....angry at being chopped up and used by folks, but wood is such a building block for everything...it would have been nice to have the trees honored to be used for houses, furniture, warmth etc. Cranky mean trees with black hearts! Weird.

Didn't dragons smell really bad..and they were ruthless and greedy... I like Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, but I guess they were weirdos..or hippies!
Huorns arn't all bad. it's like humans they choose either to be bad or good. and even though they are trees and don't do much they aren't completly trees. trees are stationary and have to be moved by other things like humans for example. and just like on our true plain there are human rites actvists thes huorons have the basic same kind of creature. (sorry i am comparing them to humans but i know most about them.) anyway i wouldn't want to be chopped up before my time to be a pritty coffee table.

and its according to what kind of dragons you are talking about there are many kinds of dragons and they werent all necessarly ruthless and greedy. it depends on the individual.

so yeah i love dragons because well i fasinated them. there misticism and how there unigue rare and ect.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
Lostyia Delr-Padroot
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethuiliel
Um, my favorite part of middle earth... how about everything? Okay, seriously... it's so hard to decide, but I think I also like the different races and the languages and... everything.... Um, I love the Elves and the hobbits. I also love the natural element of it, and the beauty. Because even though there are ugly parts, like Mordor and Isengard, much of Middle Earth is beautiful. I wish I could go to Middle Earth... and don't you dare tell me it's not real!!
middle earth is so real it may not be incomplete contex like it is in our imaginations but it once was. well that is all i have to say

Old 11-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

My favorite thing abou ME is the fact that its an entire world. There are no holes in it. Everything is explained. nothing is left out. Evolving races and evolving races and architecture, politics, everything is in there.
My second most favorite thing is that 50 years later we are still discussing it with a fevored passion. There is never not room for speculation.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:42 PM   #11
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Um, huorns are more than trees that have become Entish. If you believe Pippin, some are Ents that have become tree-ish, otherwise why the comment about "if there were no true Ents around to look after them?" My favorite part of the LotR is the mystery, the sense that there is always something 'out there,' more than the text is saying. It's a complete world with its own traditions, history and laws. And it's very, very important.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
Lostyia Delr-Padroot
Enting

Treebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
Um, huorns are more than trees that have become Entish. If you believe Pippin, some are Ents that have become tree-ish, otherwise why the comment about "if there were no true Ents around to look after them?" My favorite part of the LotR is the mystery, the sense that there is always something 'out there,' more than the text is saying. It's a complete world with its own traditions, history and laws. And it's very, very important.
that is a better definition than mine, i just learned about them recently myself.
[/QUOTE=Haradrim]My second most favorite thing is that 50 years later we are still discussing it with a fevored passion. There is never not room for speculation.[/QUOTE]
lol. also I completely agree.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:36 PM   #13
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
My favorite thing abou ME is the fact that its an entire world. There are no holes in it.
Oh but there are! Hobbit Holes!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:04 PM   #14
brego
Sapling

my favorite part is the beauty and how we can imagine more of it. its like someone dreaming about what the other side of the world is like. Is China upside down?
forgotten lore-
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly
there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my
chamber door.
'Tis some visitor," I muttered,"tapping at
my chamber door-
Only this and nothing more."
The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe
brego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:31 AM   #15
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
My favorite thing abou ME is the fact that its an entire world. There are no holes in it. Everything is explained. nothing is left out. Evolving races and evolving races and architecture, politics, everything is in there.
My second most favorite thing is that 50 years later we are still discussing it with a fevored passion. There is never not room for speculation.
I have exact sentiments.
The world never cease to be astounded by the work of one man, who in 60 years produced as much, as whole nations was creating in the long years of their history.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:26 PM   #16
Lostyia Delr-Padroot
Enting

Gimli

Quote:
Originally Posted by brego
Is China upside down?
i guess its how you look at it. my friend considers upsice down as below the equator.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #17
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethuiliel
Um, my favorite part of middle earth... how about everything? Okay, seriously... it's so hard to decide, but I think I also like the different races and the languages and... everything.... Um, I love the Elves and the hobbits. I also love the natural element of it, and the beauty. Because even though there are ugly parts, like Mordor and Isengard, much of Middle Earth is beautiful. I wish I could go to Middle Earth... and don't anyone dare tell me it's not real!!
I love ethuiliel's answer.

I also like Olmer's comment... In many ways ME seems as complete as... well, at least some of our mythologies. And to me, at least, it seems to have evolved in something of the same manner... Just, the time span is much different.

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-06-2004, 05:05 PM   #18
Lostyia Delr-Padroot
Enting

Gandalf another question

well it is obvious that picking a specific thing can be difficult , how did you all get hooked on middle earth???

for me it started with classic greek mythology then i wanted more so i explored. loved the thoughts of dragons, and got completly hooked. but what got me truly hookd was a power one can have and the experinces with magical beings, this, the whole element of it.

Old 12-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #19
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

That's an easier one.

I had to choose something for a book report in 8th grade, and my mother finally convinced me to do Fellowship of the Ring. I had always avoided it before, because I liked dragons, and Tolkien's dragons were always bad.

It took me a while to get into the book... A month to read the first half of FotR, but as soon as Glorfindel showed up... I was hooked. Of course, then he left and I had to find a way to focus my Elf obsession (luckily the slight Legolas quasi-obsession ended as soon as I started the Silmarillion ).

I think the parallels between Tolkien and several types of mythology are part of the reason I've stayed so hooked. I've always loved fantasy, but Middle Earth seems to be something entirely different, so much richer than anything else I've ever read or watched. It is more like mythology than fantasy... and simply incredible. I don't have the words to describe it...

The languages, for example. I'll admit to being rather language-obsessed. There was no way I was going to ever forget about the languages one man created that acted as reality based languages and seemingly evolved the same way.

I'm learning Quenya now , alongside more "useful" languages. Of course, learning things such as the Tengwar have helped me... It made the Japanese characters much easier to learn, simply because of voiced and unvoiced consonants...

I'm getting OT. But... I think I answered your question adequately.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 12-06-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #20
Holbytla
Sapling

The sense of " debth" is what comes to my mind, there is always something new to discover ( right now I'm pondering about who made the paths in the Old Forest..). There are so many layers and so many chances for the reader to " go astray" ( eh, not well put..), to feel free in finding " meaning". The feeling of actually being transferred to this fairytale world. The mix of familiarity and something totally unknown, that triggers my imagination. The complexity of landscapes, cultures, languages. The bizarr sense of something " true"?
Also, the constant change of safe or merry places (at Farmer Maggot's, Bombadil's house, Rivendell, Lorien.....) and danger. Keeps you on the edge, and then you ( and The Company) take a breath of relief..: food, song, bed, conversations, put your feet on a stool by the fireplace.

I got totally hooked from the very first page of Lotr. And when finished reading I started all over again the very same night. Couldn't accept it was over ( and it wasn't, there were other books )

Holbytla
Holbytla is offline   Reply With Quote