Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Origins of Wormtongue

I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to Grima. Something always happens to bad guys to make them go bad or usually anyway. So I felt Grima deserved an explanation. If anyone knows then start discussing it. Does anyone feel bad for him? Does anyone understand why? Would you have done the same? Discuss!
Old 09-11-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Grima has no more worries or concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to Grima. Something always happens to bad guys to make them go bad or usually anyway. So I felt Grima deserved an explanation. If anyone knows then start discussing it. Does anyone feel bad for him? Does anyone understand why? Would you have done the same? Discuss!
IIRC, Grima was killed by Hobbit arrows after he killed Sauruman.

It can be found in ROTK.

(without knowing all the facts)
I think initially he was misled by Sauruman into betraying his king and country. (I have no facts to back this point.)
Even after things went poorly for Grima he was given more than one opportunity to a fresh start away from Sauruman. Unfortunately for Grima he choose to remain with Sauruman and the result is told in ROTK.

Things could have gone better for Grima if he repented and took advantage of the opportunity given to him to have a fresh start.

Things would have been better if Grima never betrayed the trust of the Rohan people.

post 444

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
Haradrim

yeahI know how he was killed but I am wondering why he went evil. Also what were his oppurtunities to turn back?
Old 09-12-2004, 01:59 AM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Gandalf on the way back to Rivndell and Frodo in the Shire.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:15 AM   #5
Haradrim

okay good examples but why did he go evil and also once under the control of Sauruman he probably couldnt leave it without a knife in the back
Old 09-12-2004, 02:17 AM   #6
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well surely he could have left when there was Gandalf, Celeborn, Galadriel, 4 hobbits and a load of elves and then when there was a load of hobbit archers.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-12-2004, 02:29 AM   #7
Haradrim

but what made him go evil? that is what I really want to know. I cant find out wehat did it
Old 09-12-2004, 02:53 AM   #8
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well Saruman had a materful voice so maybe he could have seduced Grima into becoming evil, which would explain Theordens unawarness if once he had been a good man of ohan.

Old 09-12-2004, 03:34 AM   #9
Haradrim

usually good people become evil casue there weife was killed and they get some fake promise or something like that. Maybe I am worng but I thought something like that happened to Grima.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:29 AM   #10
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Why was GrÃ*ma Wormtongue evil!? I feel it was because he wanted what he could never have. He wanted Éowyn, and probably more! He knew he could not attain all that he wanted and probably never saw an opportunity to get it. It is said that in the year 3014 of the Third Age Theoden started to fall ill, and Wormtongue began to gain a major influence on the king. It must be that for some time Wormtongue was already under the service of the king and acted as his cheif advisor. Sometime before 3014 Saruman must have gained Wormtongue's allegiance with the promise of all that he wanted. Seeing is how Wormtongue was not the type to, nor would he have been capable of, taking what he wanted by force. Yet saruman was, and that was his apeal. The real question is, why would GrÃ*ma Wormtongue continue to serve under Saruman after he was cast out of Orthanc!? He no longer had anything to gain. Perhaps it was just that... mind controling(seemingly) voice of Saruman!?

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:59 AM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe Saruman told him that he would reinstate himself and rise again.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:00 AM   #12
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Which brings up an idea that was presented in another thread, that Saruman can't really die, in his Maiar form. So, like Sauron, he could return!?

Old 09-12-2004, 06:09 AM   #13
Telcontar_Dunedain

Saruman as an Istari could die just not his Maia form.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:13 AM   #14
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Which is exactlly what I said haha! And like Sauron when he lost his fair form forever in the fall of Númenor. Saruman could eventually become the next Sauron! However we digress from the point, which is Wormtongue not Saruman. And perhaps he did persuade Grima to think he would be in power again. Now that I think about it infact I think he was intedning to have Kinglike power over the hobbits! Grima as his steward or something!?

Last edited by Halbarad of the Dunedain : 09-12-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:17 AM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah. For Frodo said in the Shire that the only remaining power of Saruman's was his voice.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #16
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I fully believe that, as Halbarad said, Wormtongue was "turned" by his hopeless infatuation with Éowyn. Perhaps he spoke of it to Saruman, or perhaps that is just how he rationalized his betrayal. After that, I am sure that Saruman dominated him and he could always hear that voice urging him to more evil.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #17
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
Perhaps it was just that... mind controling(seemingly) voice of Saruman!?
More sertainly it was a mind controlling devise, similar to Sauron's rings.
Remember, Gandalf saw a ring on Saruman hand, which he possibly made by finding the missing links in his own researches into Ring-lore,(We already discussed this possibility)
Poor Grima was his first lab rat
This explains why he can't break the tie and grow to hate Saruman because of it.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:53 AM   #18
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Interesting... I've wondered too if Saruman's ring helped him gain a measure of control over the Orcs in his service. I think we talked about that in a thread something like; "Was Saruman a Ring-bearer?"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:45 AM   #19
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
This explains why he can't break the tie and grow to hate Saruman because of it.
But he did hate Saruman. He just wouldn't leave him.