Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

The Ring and those of power

This is something that has been bugging me for a while so I decided to start a thread on it.

If the Ring had passed to Valinor what would have happened. What if one of the Valar possesed it, say Manwe or Ulmo, would they have been able to conquer and possibly destroy it or would they have arisen as a new ienev more powerful Dark Lord. Does it say anything or is it something we will just never know!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Well, rest easy. I think Elrond says something in the chapter 'The Council of Elrond' about how those in the West would not receive it... that it belonged to Middle Earth and was for those in Middle Earth to handle the situation.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

They could surely resist the temptation. And I don't think the Ring will affect them, as they're mcu hstronger than it, and than Sauron. I'm not sure if they could destroy it - I believe they could. But that the people of Middle Earth could not sail for them to help - they had to solve this themselves.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Well, rest easy. I think Elrond says something in the chapter 'The Council of Elrond' about how those in the West would not receive it... that it belonged to Middle Earth and was for those in Middle Earth to handle the situation.
I know but what if they had done what would have happened.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I don't think the Valar would risk bringing an evil thing like the Ring into the Blessed Realm. Besides, it would be bad for the moral of the people in Middle Earth. It is better for them to deal with their problems themselves, and be enhanced in the process.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Aren't we're talking about the theoretical possibility that the Ring somehow gets to the Valar? Because it was obviously not.. practical? Wasn't it his question?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yes it was.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

The ring would have effected the Valar similar to the way it effected Tom Bombadil. In no way at all. Probably less even! The Valar could have probably destroyed the ring, as it says the ring could be destroyed by the undying fire where it was made, by the very hand of its maker, or someone of equal or greater power. Like Aule the greates Smith of them all! So if the Valar had cared for the matter, it could have been over in seconds. Yet as it has been said before Middle-Earth's fate is Middle-Earths fate and the Valar will not intervein. They removed Morgoth and then they were done. I am pretty sure that it is said somehwere that the Valar will return in the final battle, similar to Ragnarok in Norse myth, and all will fall and the world will crumble. Yet I digress! The ring would not go to Valinor and the Valar would do nothing about it, and thats the answer.
I do wonder though... if the ring did come to Valinor in some way, not in an attempt for the help of the Valar, but just brought there somehow. I wonder if one of the noble elven divisions, like the Vanyar, had allowed one ofthem to attain the ring. Would one of the elves of Valinor become corrupted!? They are just elves after all.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
Telcontar_Dunedain

They probably would have been corrupted.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Why? The Ring's temptation was for power and dominion. They already have that, so what's the allure of a (very) little more?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:23 PM   #11
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

The elves of Valinor had no dommination! The valar had plenty of "power" but the elves, while elves of valinor, are still elves. and even elves are subject to the one ring. If one had taken the ring they would have owned all of ME...

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:33 AM   #12
Telcontar_Dunedain

Even Gandalf who was a Maia was tempted by it so why shouldn't the elves be.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:53 AM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
The elves of Valinor had no dommination! The valar had plenty of "power" but the elves, while elves of valinor, are still elves. and even elves are subject to the one ring. If one had taken the ring they would have owned all of ME...
On the other hand I don't think you can really compare the Elves of Middle-earth to those of Valinor on account of want for power and dominion. The Elves in Middle-earth are those (or descended of those) that did not wish to remain in Valinor or never reached it in the first place. The Elves still remaining in Valinor live in a completely different environment, Valinor has no evil and no sorrow, unlike Middle-earth.

It's saying something that neither the Teleri or the Vanyar joined the Noldor in their return to Middle-earth. The Vanyar were content to be in the light and presence of the Valar and the Teleri wanted nothing more than to wander the Undying Shores and sail the Sea. What temptation could the ring offer them what they did not have already? The Elves of Middle-earth used their three rings to preserve their realm, the Elves of Valinor would not have needed to do such things since their realm is unchanging.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:06 AM   #14
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
All Elves are not subject to the One Ring, only those three Bearers of the Elven-Rings, and then only while wearing them. See "The Hunt For the Ring" and "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age," the best sources for Ringlore outside the Canon.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain

I think other elves would have been tempted by it aswell.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:36 PM   #16
Attalus

Any of the Eruhini, and the Maiar as well, would be tempted by the Ring. Whether or not they resisted the temptation is another question.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #17
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
as it says the ring could be destroyed by the undying fire where it was made, by the very hand of its maker, or someone of equal or greater power
then gandalv should be able to break it, for isn't he the greatest of the maiar, or at least one of them? maybe he could not do it while in middelearth, but would he be able to do it in the Blessed Realm? but i think even the elves in Valinor would be attracted and corrupted of it, though they are much different from the elves in middelearth, they are no more than elves, and they don't have powers like sauron.

Last edited by Pytt : 09-10-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Pytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pytt
then gandalv should be able to break it, for isn't he the greatest of the maiar, or at least one of them? maybe he could not do it while in middelearth, but would he be able to do it in the Blessed Realm? but i think even the elves in Valinor would be attracted and corrupted of it, though they are much different from the elves in middelearth, they are no more than elves, and they don't have powers like sauron.
Gandalf is definitely noit the greatest of Maiar. He's the wisest though.. I don't think he could destroy it, or any of the Maiar, and besides he wasn't in 'full powers', as he was only an Istari. He could die, for example, while Maiar can't, I believe.

I actually agree with Earniel, I don't think the Elves would want the Ring. They didn't need it, nor they needed power. They had everything they wanted in Valinor.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:10 PM   #19
Telcontar_Dunedain

They may not have wanted it but would they have taken it if they were offered it?

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 09-10-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:15 PM   #20
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
They may not have wanted it but would they have taken it if they were offere it.
How do you know?