Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

"I hope so."

Hey, in FotR, at the end of the chapter titled 'Strider' (sorry, I just read it, but can't remember the number of the chapter), one of the hobbits says, I believe, something about the Nazgul coming back, and then Strider says "I hope so." What was mean by that, do you think? I mean, was this just something Tolkien put in there to keep us guessing whether or not Strider was a good guy, or did it have a deeper meaning. The line seems strange coming from Aragorn, and I was thinking we might discuss it.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

What page is it on?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I just checked... his 'I hope so' is actually in response to what Merry says when he hears about the incident in the meeting room. Merry says that the worthies of Bree would be talking about the episode for one hundred years. Strider saying 'I hope so' indicates that for them to be able to do so, all will have gone well and the Enemy would not have conquered.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:19 PM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain

I don't get that. Surely that means there will be news of the Ring bearer and that they would be followed.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Oh, right. 'Worthies of Bree'. Yeah, I think it would mean that people would be on their tails, spreading news of some guy who turned invisible. Talk of that kind would certainly catch the eye of the Enemy (no pun about the eye was originally intended ). I don't think I'd want people to talk about it.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I don't get that. Surely that means there will be news of the Ring bearer and that they would be followed.

Aragorn wasn't saying "I hope so" to the immediate future. He was making the statment about the end of the War of the Ring, assuming all had gone well. Aragorn was lementing the future, and their fate. Not to mention the knowledge of the ring in the Shire and in Bree was already known to the enemy. Both Sauron and Saruman both knew the ring was found and it was in the Shire, moving east to Bree. The Nazgul had arrived at Bree and attempted to kill the Hobbits. So I don't think the hundred years of talk about the ring bearrer would have any more negative impact on Frodo & Co. after leaving.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
Telcontar_Dunedain

Unless there could have been others searching for it. What if Gollum found that it was travelling towards Rivendell. He could have strangled Strider, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin in their sleep.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #8
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

All of them!? Including the greatest Ranger of the Dunedain!? Without any of the others being roused!? Gollum couldn't even sneak up on Frodo and Sam alone! I don't think gollum was a factor that worried Aragorn to much especially on the road from Hobbiton to Rivendel. Also who cares if anyone else was searching for it!? Sauron new master of all evil or Middle-Earth, or gollum? Sauron new master of all evil or anything else!? They had the greatest incarnation of evil, on middle-earth at that time, already searching for, and following them! No, I personally don't feel the talk in Bree will hurt them. The only thing would be the actual event of Frodo slipping the ring on! If that could have been avoided then the Nazgul may not have been anywhere near them, ever! They may have gotten to Rivendell all in one peice! So the acuall 100 year talk I don't feel hurt them in any way.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Tom Bombadil

I agree with Valandil. Aragorn was hoping that the worthies of Bree would be around at all to discuss anything, and by mentioning it, he was indirectly calling into question the Hobbits unthinking assumption that they in fact would be by interposing the thought that if Sauron conquered, there would be no Bree at all.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
Olmer
Elf Lord

Hm, interesting...Since the subject came up... I had an acquaintance from England who was always saying " I hope so" instead "I think so".
Could it be just a common expression at Tolkien's time? Something like our expression "forget about" sometimes can carry the meaning " don't worry", sometimes "it's too outlandish " or sometimes it does really means to forget about something?
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:36 AM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain

Didn't Gandalf say something like this to Bilbo before he left?

Old 09-10-2004, 05:51 AM   #12
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

I have always considered Aragorn's response to be as Valandil suggests - hope that there will be a future where such events are not commonplace and that "worthy" people will be discussing them as an amazing event in the past. This also suggests that there will be nothing more momentous to discuss.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:07 AM   #13
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

This type of line is in movies all the time. Its like evil foreshadowing. Just to throw doubt in there. Its just saying that Aragorn hopes Bree wil be there in 100 years because of Saurons rise. However I am no master of expressions so I am also inclined ot hink that maybe its just a common englush phrase.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:52 AM   #14
Telcontar_Dunedain

It's not a common English phrase so it was probably hoping that Bree will still be able to talk about it in a hundred years.