Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Shelob's Lair

In the appendices of The Two Towers EE Peter Jackson says that Shelobs Lair was postponed until RotK because it would have clashed with the Battle of Helms Deep, yet in RotK it was clashing with The Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Does anyone know why this was or was there another reason.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:28 PM   #2
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I think just time restraints...The Two Towers would have been too long, with Shelob's lair...

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:50 AM   #3
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

yeah I mean can you imagine if they had added Shelobs lair which also would have included the stairs would have been like an extra hour. Also PJ was doing the story chronologically so we saw what happened at what times and I really liked that.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:21 AM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain

It's just the reasons he gave didn't make sense.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-02-2004, 03:06 AM   #5
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Well there are a couple of reasons, one is that there was a lot of stuff already in Two Towers for Frodo and Sam. Obviously as they had back and forth Frodo to Aragorn. They would have had to subtract from what is now in TT in order to add the Return of the King Frodo and Sam footage. The more important and more likely reason is the timeline. The events of Shelobs Lair coincide with the Battle of the Pelennor. If they had done Shelobs lair at the time of Helms Deep, the ring would have been destroyed durring or before the Battleo f Pelennor.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:12 AM   #6
Telcontar_Dunedain

I know that but PJ said that it was because it would have been sidelined by Helms Deep.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:44 PM   #7
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

personally, i'm glad that it was in rotk; i think it would have been too much for people who weren't fans of the books to handle.
that's sorta how i tend to view alot of things about the movies. having watched them with so many people who haven't read the books and/or were skeptical about how good the trilogy would be, i try to think of it from their pov. i'm always trying to convert people (so to speak ) so anything that makes watching the movies or reading the book easier is okay by me
besides, halbarad's right: pj did have a lot of frodo and sam parts in the second one- and i like the parts with legolas, aragorn, and gimli

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 AM   #8
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Not to mention a lot of the book version of Return of the King for Frod oand Sam was walking across the Plains of Gorgoroth. It would not have been a great idea to show half an hour of footage of Frodo and Sam walking across a wasteland for the film. With the removal of the Scouring of the Shire there was even less of Frodo and Sam so, I think the change was a good one.

*This post is in memory of J.R.R. Tolkien who died on September 2, 1973*

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:27 PM   #9
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

acutally, i realized that about ten seconds after i logged off that day- i feel guilty i didn't say anything anywhere lol

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:59 AM   #10
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

it says in the appendices of TT that it was not in TT because it would be inter cut with the huge climax of Helms deep and would cancel themselves both out in ROTK it is inter cut with the battle of pellenor fields but that isn't the climax of the film. yes it is a huge battle but I see the climax of ROTK to be Frodo and sam climbing mount doom and the bit where Gollum falls in with the ring and the black gate battle.
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #11
Manveru
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
The more important and more likely reason is the timeline. The events of Shelobs Lair coincide with the Battle of the Pelennor. If they had done Shelobs lair at the time of Helms Deep, the ring would have been destroyed durring or before the Battleo f Pelennor.
if they were really following the timeline the frodo/sam storyline wouldve ended at about the spot when they reach the black gates as this coincides with the end of the battle for helm's deep and the parley with saruman
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote