Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-31-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Fingon the valiant?

Any idea why Fingon was called 'The valiant' in Valinor? Was there any dangerous activities in the Blessed Realm, where there was no death among the Elves?
Old 08-31-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Any idea why Fingon was called 'The valiant' in Valinor? Was there any dangerous activities in the Blessed Realm, where there was no death among the Elves?
That's a good question. I could see him being called that once they were in Beleriand. Perhaps it was given to him in Valinor because of the stand he took in the persuit of Morgoth, and toward Feanor. I would say it could have had something to do with his leardership in crossing the ice, but Maedhros referred to him as the "Valiant" when asking Feanor about the ships returning, which implies that Fingon was called the "Valiant" long before that. Then perhaps there were some unspoken deeds during the Darkening of Valinor or something.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

And it can't have been just after the awakening of the elves as seen as Maedhros wasn't born until they got to Valinor.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
And it can't have been just after the awakening of the elves as seen as Maedhros wasn't born until they got to Valinor.
The most likely contexts for valiant in Aman would be hunting and mountain adventuring. Perhaps even a few lurking mosters such a Shelob, but lesser, to be dispatched around the periphery.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

It was said about Celegorm that he went hunting with teh group of Orome. That's where he got Huan of Valinor.. maybe Fingon went on hunts too, and there he got his name, like Lefty said.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Tom Bombadil

Maybe he just got 500 posts and a custom title.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Scaevola
That would make him Fingon the Spammer.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:55 AM   #8
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Scaevola
Hee-hee.

Another explanation I've heard elsewhere is that Fingon and his mate Maedhros were enjoying cliff-diving, and that Fingon always jumped from incredible heights at the most dangerous spots.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:55 AM   #9
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe he told Feanor that the SIlmarils were rubbish.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-02-2004, 02:03 PM   #10
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Maybe he told Feanor that the SIlmarils were rubbish.
Naw, just in poor taste. "Fëanoro, that headband that you wear to the festivals with all three Silmarils on it make you look like a mithril miner. How about cutting it down to one?"
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 AM   #11
Telumehtar
Sapling

I've always imagined that Fingon picked up this title during some kind of hunting incident, something not too dissimilar to the scene in La Reine Margot, where Henri of Navarre leaps to the aid of the king - who was in imminent danger of being skewered by a wild boar - and takes the creature down with nothing but a dagger. A more romantic idea would be Fingon saving Maedhros from this fate - though that might be stretching the point a little.

I've heard the cliff-diving idea too, there is a picture on Elfwood showing this scene isn't there? Done by the same artist who drew that amazing picture of Fëanor, Nerdanel, and the brats? I like the idea, especially when put in the context of her artwork. Very cool.

Last edited by Telumehtar : 09-03-2004 at 12:53 AM.
Telumehtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:47 AM   #12
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telumehtar
I've heard the cliff-diving idea too, there is a picture on Elfwood showing this scene isn't there? Done by the same artist who drew that amazing picture of Fëanor, Nerdanel, and the brats? I like the idea, especially when put in the context of her artwork. Very cool.
Yeah, that's where I got it from. The picture of the homely Fëanorean scene is sweet.

Welcome, btw.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:30 PM   #13
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telumehtar
A more romantic idea would be Fingon saving Maedhros from this fate - though that might be stretching the point a little.
I think you a right here. If that was not a valiant deed, than what was?

There is the problem of Maedhros naming Fingon "valiant" before that (as mentioned bySGH), but I can see at least two possible explanations.

The history as depicted in The Sil was supposedly handed down by Elves to Men, and interpreted in the process. It is possible that the notion of Fingon naming Fingon valiant after the Kin-slaying was put in incorrectly.

The other is that Fingon was named valiant even in Valinor, but even without killings and death there, he might well have distinguished himself as a brave person. Or reknowned for his strength:

val·iant ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vlynt)
adj.
Possessing valor; brave.
Marked by or done with valor. See Synonyms at brave.

n.
A brave person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old French vaillant, from Latin valns, valent- present participle of valre, to be strong. See wal- in Indo-European Roots.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
valian·cy or valiance or valiant·ness n.
valiant·ly adv.

valiant

\Val"iant\, a. [OE. valiant, F. vaillant, OF. vaillant, valant, originally p. pr. of OF. & F. valoir to be worth, L. valere to be strong. See Wield, and cf. Avail, Convalesce, Equivalent, Prevail, Valid.] 1. Vigorous in body; strong; powerful; as, a valiant fencer. [Obs.] --Walton.

2. Intrepid in danger; courageous; brave.

A valiant and most expert gentleman. --Shak.

And Saul said to David . . . be thou valiant for me, and fight the Lord's battles. --1 Sam. xviii. 17.

3. Performed with valor or bravery; heroic. ``Thou bearest the highest name for valiant acts.'' --Milton.

[The saints] have made such valiant confessions. --J. H. Newman. -- Val\"iant*ly, adv. -- Val\"iant*ness, {n}.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

valiant

adj : having or showing valor; "a valiant attempt to prevent the hijack"; "a valiant soldier" [syn: valorous]
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:11 AM   #14
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I just remembered something from the HoMe series about Galadriel and her "other" names. It is stated (in Customs of the Eldar, I think) that from an early age Elves were given their "true" names but also a surname according to some premonition, of sorts, most especially given by the mother. Perhaps when he was born Fingon was given the name "valiant" to denote some sort of "quality" within him that was identified early in childhood, or even at birth?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #15
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I remember too that Elves with "gon" had their names derived from the original Kane which apparently means "valiant".
Old 11-02-2004, 08:04 AM   #16
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

so sort of finvaliant the valiant? gets a bit confusing
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:35 PM   #17
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin1
I just remembered something from the HoMe series about Galadriel and her "other" names. It is stated (in Customs of the Eldar, I think) that from an early age Elves were given their "true" names but also a surname according to some premonition, of sorts, most especially given by the mother. Perhaps when he was born Fingon was given the name "valiant" to denote some sort of "quality" within him that was identified early in childhood, or even at birth?
That's a good suggestion Durin1! It is true that the Elves had at least two names, one given from their father, and one from their mother. Tolkien states that Findekáno (Fingon), Turukáno (Turgon), Írissë (Aredhel) and Arakáno (Argon) were probably father-names, and I don't think their mother-names are known.
Quote:
I remember too that Elves with "gon" had their names derived from the original Kane which apparently means "valiant".
I think you're wrong here. I'm pretty sure that "gon" is a Sindarized form of the Quenya "kano", which means "commander". Maglor's father-name was Kanafinwë, and here "kano" means "strong voice" or "commanding".
Old 11-03-2004, 05:24 AM   #18
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
I think you're wrong here. I'm pretty sure that "gon" is a Sindarized form of the Quenya "kano", which means "commander". Maglor's father-name was Kanafinwë, and here "kano" means "strong voice" or "commanding".
Artanis, although you are correct to point out that "kano" is more clearly interpreted as "commander/commanding", I would argue that it could also denote as valiant in a generalised sense (as many of Tolkien's words do).

...although i'll stand corrected if I am totally wrong!
Old 11-03-2004, 05:36 AM   #19
Artanis

Quote:
Artanis, although you are correct to point out that "kano" is more clearly interpreted as "commander/commanding", I would argue that it could also denote as valiant in a generalised sense (as many of Tolkien's words do).

...although i'll stand corrected if I am totally wrong!
Well I'm no Quenya expert so what you say may be perfectly valid.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #20
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe some vailent acts during the firts kinslaying.