Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Worst Cut in the movies

What did everyone think was the absolute worst thing they cut out of the movies. The whole Denethor and the Silmarillion. I mean that was just insane how they did it in ROTK. HE just seems like a whack job in the movies but really he was just a poor man who was corrupted. What is your least favorite cut.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
What did everyone think was the absolute worst thing they cut out of the movies. The whole Denethor and the Silmarillion. I mean that was just insane how they did it in ROTK. HE just seems like a whack job in the movies but really he was just a poor man who was corrupted. What is your least favorite cut.

PalantÃ*ri not Silmarils, Denethor II looked into the PalantÃ*ri and his mind grew weak...

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
Haradrim

sprry sometimes I get them mixed up. But what was your least favorite cut?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

As a complete LotR and Tolkien guru and nerd I would say all of them. I would buy a DvD(prolly not sit in theaters) and watch it with just about everything from the books. It would be a much longer series but true LotR gurus like those of us here at the Moot would watch a full and complete rendering of Tolkiens Lord of the Rings. Yet if I have to choose one, it would be almost everything with and without Saruman. I wish there was a scouring, I wish he didn't die at the confrontation(perhaps?) between Gandalf and him at Orthanc, I prefer to see Grima kill him in the end, I prefer to see his fear of Mordor after his attempt to attain the ring. Sarumans missing parts are what I dislike most.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
Haradrim

You wouldnt sit in the theatrers. Oh man tch tch tch. Imagine if everythig was exactly the way it was. it would be like 15 hours all together. wow... drool makes large puddle under the chair
Old 08-27-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Okay, nothing about the subject, but: You would rather watch the DVD than go to the theatre's? How do you expect to read that microscopic writting at the very end of the movie? ( )
Okay, back on subject now.

Worst cut out? Hmmmm... The Scourging of the Shire, The Houses of Healing (including the healing and Faramir and Eowyn falling in love.), Conspiracy Unmasked (how could they leave that out? *sob*), and many others.
They were very good movies, though.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
Haradrim

yeah I thought it was way to contrived how merry and pip all of a sudden just ran into them. I mean if Sam hadnt gotten a ll worried they never would have gone along. It seems a little wierd and way to contrived.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:26 AM   #8
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

The scoring of the Shire because I wanted to see the hobbits whip some ruffian ass
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:44 AM   #9
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
Okay, nothing about the subject, but: You would rather watch the DVD than go to the theatre's? How do you expect to read that microscopic writting at the very end of the movie? ( )
Okay, back on subject now.

I have a home theater screen and projecter with suround sound speakers. Its not tiny, and I prefer the comfort of my home considering it would be like a 10 hour sit for each movie, over a day to watch the whole book on film! and once again back to the subject...

I also missed Bombadil! I have read the books countless times now, and each time I read I find Bombadill and all the chaptes he's in to be more and more important to the entire story. I wish they woulda put in a bit about ol'Tom.

Old 08-27-2004, 03:06 AM   #10
Haradrim

Well he doesnt really add to the story all that much so I can see why they cuit him out. However I would have loved to see the Barrow-Wights. That wou;d have been totally creepy.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:10 AM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain

I was disappointed that they cut out the coming of Halbarad with the Dunedain and Elladan and Elrohir.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-27-2004, 03:14 AM   #12
Haradrim

but once again it doesnt really help the story along I mean i was cool but not entirely useful. Another totally bad change is the entire Arwen character. I mean there was jus tno point. Everyone understood why Aragorn chose Arwen in the book why screw around with that in the movie. I was so ticked at the whole change and cut oof Glorfindel too.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:15 AM   #13
Telcontar_Dunedain

No I disagree if the Dunedain didn't come then Aragorn would never had used the Paths of the Dead

Old 08-27-2004, 03:18 AM   #14
Haradrim

Yeah but having Elrond deliver the sord and tell him his path is so much more dramatic. I mean delivering the sword right when he needs it is so climactic whereas in the book its jsut like okay the sword is reforged here ya go. I think the way the movvie did it was better for the movie. It wouldnt have worked really well in the movie I think.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:32 AM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah but maybe the Dunedain could have bought and you could have given alll of Elrond's lines to Elladan and Elrohir.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:06 AM   #16
Haradrim

but why would the Dunedain have stopped off at Elronds before going. It would have been much faster had they just gone. And besides they wouldnt know if it had been reforged or not yet. So it still makes more sense for Elrond to do it.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:30 AM   #17
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe but I liked that chapter in the book.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:33 AM   #18
Haradrim

Im not saying its a bad chapter Im just saying that IW ouldnt put it up there withthe worst changes thats all.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:13 AM   #19
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

The worst cut for me was the story of Eowyn and Faramir. Eowyn had such a large role in the movie and to just finish her story on the Pellenor Fields just didn't seem right. It left so much unanswered. It was poor narrative structure to not have a conclusion to her tale.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:17 AM   #20
Telcontar_Dunedain

There was a glimpse of her with Faramir at the crowning of Aragorn but not enough.