Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2004, 04:36 AM   #1
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

A Guide to LOTR

What I thought might be fun for everyone to do and to get newbies and oldbies all in to it was maybe to create our own book. I would edit the thing and you my fellow mooters would write it. I would probably contribute soom writing but with editing all of you it might be hard. What I thought we would do is make teams of two to create chapter summaries for each chapters. We would also have 3 teams of two to do a general overview of each book. Then at the end we would have teams of two do themes, characters, all that stuff.
Anyone who has suggestions please make them noticed in this thread. Ifg you would like to be part of it please post in the A Guide to LOTR 2 thread. Thank you nd this will be completely serious I exspect it to be finished if we start it and I espect that if people sign up they wont bacck out. THe workload wont be too much. It should be fun and enjoyable for everyone. I know I am kind of young but my father is a publisher and will help me out. Please help.

Last edited by Haradrim : 08-20-2004 at 04:37 AM.
Haradrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
What I thought might be fun for everyone to do and to get newbies and oldbies all in to it was maybe to create our own book. I would edit the thing and you my fellow mooters would write it. I would probably contribute soom writing but with editing all of you it might be hard. What I thought we would do is make teams of two to create chapter summaries for each chapters. We would also have 3 teams of two to do a general overview of each book. Then at the end we would have teams of two do themes, characters, all that stuff.
Anyone who has suggestions please make them noticed in this thread. Ifg you would like to be part of it please post in the A Guide to LOTR 2 thread. Thank you nd this will be completely serious I exspect it to be finished if we start it and I espect that if people sign up they wont bacck out. THe workload wont be too much. It should be fun and enjoyable for everyone. I know I am kind of young but my father is a publisher and will help me out. Please help.
Interesting idea. If so, we already working on the chapters summaries. Look into Discussion project.If for publishing, then I would like to see on the paper Valandil's "Firiel's letters", very informative in filling out the missing parts of the history.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
...If for publishing, then I would like to see on the paper Valandil's "Firiel's letters", very informative in filling out the missing parts of the history.
Why thank you Olmer, glad you're enjoying them. I hope to write and post 1 more for an even 12 (it will be from many years later). I've offered a few others and I'll offer you as well to email you the Word document I have it all on, if you want it. It's on page 40 now. I expect the last one to just be about a 2 pager - but sometimes they grow on me.

My NEXT project may take a little more time... I'm hoping for a 'Chronicles of Arnor' - but figure on 10 to 20 years!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Why thank you Olmer, glad you're enjoying them. I hope to write and post 1 more for an even 12 (it will be from many years later). I've offered a few others and I'll offer you as well to email you the Word document I have it all on, if you want it. It's on page 40 now. I expect the last one to just be about a 2 pager - but sometimes they grow on me.

My NEXT project may take a little more time... I'm hoping for a 'Chronicles of Arnor' - but figure on 10 to 20 years!
Thanks for the offer! But I already copied all of your "Letters" for a private enjoyment, if you don't mind.
Keep us posted about "The Cronicles" development. I think it will be worth of waiting for.

Last edited by Olmer : 08-20-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #5
Haradrim

Im confused do you Olmer want to help out and/or do you Valendil want to help or neither?
Old 08-21-2004, 02:02 AM   #6
Valandil

Quote:
Im confused do you Olmer want to help out and/or do you Valendil want to help or neither?
Well - I'm not really interested in co-writing a book as a collaborative effort. I think it might turn out to be a lot of work after all... and with so many hands involved, might end up unsatisfactory to almost every 'author' involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
Thanks for the offer! But I already copied all of your "Letters" for a private enjoyment, if you don't mind.
Keep us posted about "The Cronicles" development. I think it will be worth of waiting for.
Don't mind at all... I'm sure it's much easier to read on actual paper in a more comfortable chair. Lots of thoughts going through my mind for the 'big' project - must find time to start jotting some down.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 08-21-2004, 02:17 AM   #7
Haradrim

Okay thanks. Also I wouldnt mind getting these letters if you wouldnt mind. Im really interested. What are they?
Old 08-21-2004, 02:27 AM   #8
Valandil

Quote:
Okay thanks. Also I wouldnt mind getting these letters if you wouldnt mind. Im really interested. What are they?
Heehee... I've given you a few hints about the appendices at the end of LOTR... that's where I got my basic background information. I know many people (especially young folks like yourself) get to the end of the story, see all those pages of appendix materal and just assume there's nothing worthwhile there (partly I know because that was me my first few times through the books). However - once I read them, I found them VERY interesting... they really flesh out the story.

My 'Letters of Firiel' come from a story set about 1,000 years before Aragorn's birth - and involve 2 of his ancestors. You can find them, along with other 'letters' in a thread called 'Letters from Middle Earth' in the Middle Earth forum... I think I posted the first one in mid-June of this year and it's on page 2 of the thread. However - it'll help your understanding of the setting if you read the first half of Appendix A, at least, first - how history progressed in both Gondor and Arnor.

Hope you enjoy them.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-21-2004, 02:31 AM   #9
Haradrim

Ive read most of them its just not in much detail. Ive gone through family trees and timelines. Also I go there whenever I wanna show up my dad. Thanks a bundle you have been very helpful to me. Im gonna read through them after Silmarillion. I look forward to your letters segments.