Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The Card Game Thread

I used to play a card game called 500 jokers plus which rules are like this:

Number of players: 2 - 4

Number of cards/player: 5 or 7

Points/card:

Joker - 20p
Ace - 15p (Ace low - 5p as in Ace - 2 - 3)
King - 10p
Queen - 10p
Jack - 10p

cards 2 to 9 - 5p

Series:

Queen - King - Ace (35p)
Jack - Queen - King (30p)
10 - Jack - Queen (30p)
9 - 10 - Jack (20p)

9 - 8 - 7 to 3 - 2 - Ace (15p/each)

Tripples:

Jokers - 60p
Aces - 45p
Kings - 30p
Queens - 30p
Jacks - 30p
10's - 30p

999 to 222 (15p/each)

Deal out the cards, put the remainder in the middle of the table, turn up ONE card to make the beginning of the PILE.

Now you have two choices. Either to take the card from the remainder or IF you have TWO cards that fit the PILE-card take that one (making up a comb). BUT you always have to dispose of ONE card every time you've made either choice. Usually one waits until the PILE has grown a bit so that one can put several combinations down on the table in front you or have a lot cards to work from for future combinations. IF you've got a JOKER (IT REPRESENTS A COMB BY ITSELF) you can put it down on the table in front of directly, and thus begin your collection of series or tripples and thus points.

By the taking the PILE (which usually has grown after a couple of dispositions) you can make up several comb:s or save cards to make up future comb:s. BUT if you do take the pale YOU MUST put at least ONE COMB
on the table in front of you (or IF you're lucky and aquired a JOKER, you can put that down). IF you have gambled by the taking the PILE because you
thought there might be a card you could use and there ISN'T then you'll get
a MINUS 50 POINT penalty.

IMPORTANT RULE: If your opponent got for example Ace-2-3 on the table in front of him and you've got 4 on hand, you can stop him from getting it by putting it down in front of YOU. BUT you MUST have at least ONE comb on the table or a JOKER to be able to use these so-called STOP-cards.

When you win (when you've succeeded in collecting a comb on hand and have a FOURTH useless card to dispose of to the PILE) you lay your fourth
card on the PILE and the comb in front of you along with all the others combs you've collected during the game. FOR WINNING YOU GET 20 EXTRA POINTS.

5. The other players have cards left on hand and these count as minus points.

6. All tabled combinationpoints are counted and recorded (thus making up the first round)

7. The goal: to be the first to reach 500 points.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 07-21-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to the Entertainment forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
Janny
The Blobbit

Hi Grey_Wolf.
Is this intended as a thread for discussion of games or rules?
I wanted to show my support for the idea, but didn't really know what to write.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Hi Grey_Wolf.
Is this intended as a thread for discussion of games or rules?
I wanted to show my support for the idea, but didn't really know what to write.
My intention when I posted this topic was for people to contribute with games of their own and perhaps try my game out and then venture an opinion.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Asshole will always be one of my favorites. Uh... can i say that?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #6
Janny
The Blobbit

I was going to explain
shithead
(shed) actually... do you think they are along the same lines?

Also there is
Bullshit
which is cheat with a different accusation.

How does asshole work?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i love bullsh- i mean, cheat we used to play it all the time backstage at recitals when i did dancing; very fun

my family always plays crazy eights (which is the poor man's uno) and jin rummy and jin rummy 500- those 2 are my favs

also, has anyone played spit before? a friend taught me it a while ago and i loved it, but i forget how to play now

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ravyn
also, has anyone played spit before? a friend taught me it a while ago and i loved it, but i forget how to play now
Roughly how does it go? Is it trick taking or meld making (eg like Rummy)? What's the lay-out?

Old 07-24-2004, 11:19 AM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Asshole will always be one of my favorites. Uh... can i say that?
Well you said it didn't you?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well you said it didn't you?
Yes, amazing what you can get away with nowadays. Although I did find that the game goes by quite a few names but its "officially" known as "Presidents":

Quote:
President has many alternative names: Scum, Asshole (in Britain: Arsehole), Rich Man Poor Man, Bum, Landlord, Emperors and Scum, Root Beer, Warlords and Scumbags, Butthead, Capitalism; in France it is Trouduc or Trou du Cul; in Germany: Einer ist immer der Arsch; in Hungary it is Hûbéres (meaning vassal); in the Netherlands it is Sluitspieren or Klootzakken.
Ha ha Im amused that something with the name "Capitalism" also goes by the name "Warlords and Scumbags".

Anyway, Janny you asked about the rules. Have a look here see if it seems familiar: http://www.pagat.com/climbing/asshole.html

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
Janny
The Blobbit

Thanks IR. (I love the page's translation of obscenity American to English.
Ah! It's 'Big Two' as I know it. However we play with a suit order with spades (highest) to hearts, clubs, diamonds (lowest), so each card has its own individual rank. (In the case of pairs, the pair with the spade beats the pair without).

Our current favoutrite game is contracted for purposes of playing with ickle kids to 'Shed'. ("Why's it called 'shed' " "Erm... never you mind." )

Each player is dealt three cards face down, which are then covered by three cards face up. A hand of three cards is then dealt. From the hand a player may improve the cards face up. they may also pile up cards of the same rank (for which purposes they make their hand up to three cards after piling. Further swapping is permitted after picking up, so some players start with hands of more than 3.)
The object is to play all the cards from your hand, then your face up cards, then playing blind get rid of the face down cards. This is done by placing cards onto a centre pile, the card played may be either the same rank or higher, or a 'magic' card. Cards of the same rank may be layed together and have the same effect as one card. If unable or unwilling (unwilling = plain stupid) to lay a card, the entire centre pile must be picked up, and their turn is forfeited. After each turn the player makes picks up from the stock to make their hand up to three cards. After the stock is exhausted, players' hands become exhausted and they move onto table cards. (However, if playing table cards and forced to pick up, the player must then exhaust their hand before playing from the table again)

Cards rank A (high), K, Q, J, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 (low). Cards 2, 3 and 10 have special properties and may be laid on any previous card:
2: resets the centre pile and the next player starts with any chosen card.
3: is invisible and play is dictated by the previous card
10: 'burns' the pile. The centre pile is completely discarded, the player picks up to make their hand up to three, then plays again. NB: four cards of the same rank also 'burn'. These do not have to be played by the same player, but must not be interrupted by other cards (most commonly 3's).

In addition 9 also has special properties, but may only be laid on cards lower than or equal to 9. The card following a 9 must be lower or equal to 9. After this next card, play continues as normal.

There you have it.

Old 07-26-2004, 04:34 PM   #12
Mercutio

I play Presidents, Spades (millions of times), Egyptian Rat Screw (really fun, but it can have damaging effects on your hands/fingers), Kent, Hearts, double Solitaire, Rummy, Spit/speed. More to come as I remember them. Oh yes, and Golf (not the Solitaire game, its completely different). I'll explain any if you want me to.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:55 PM   #13
Janny
The Blobbit

I'm intreged by Eqyptian Rat Screw! Please explain!
Is speed the one for two players with two piles to remove cards to and one is basically a big scramble...