Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Project's End

The Silmarillion Project spanned a 2 1/2 year period from beginning to end. It inspired many to read the book, and those of us who had already read it, enhanced our understanding of this beautiful masterpiece to a greater level. Not only was the project enjoyable and informative, but beneficial to the forum, the board, and the members of this community.

I wish to thank all of those that participated in its success. Those that contributed to the discussion and especially those that gave their time to research and create the introductions to each chapter. Thank you for a job well done.

Most of all, I would like to extend a very special thank you to Maedhros for bringing the project to Entmoot and for working closely with me these past two years to keep it on schedule and running smoothly. It is his great devotion and love of Tolkien's works that inspired this project and the Lord of the Rings Project that is now taking place in the LotR forum. On behalf of myself and this community, thank you for a splended and informative experience.

NOTE- All chapters from the project have been moved to the project sub-forum. Please feel free to continue chapter discussion at anytime.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-19-2004, 03:16 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Goodbye Maedhros! Good luck with whatever you plan on doing now that this workload is out of the way. It's been fun doing the project (though I tend to lurk rather than participate), and your contributions to this board have been exceptional. Will miss you, and I'm also sad we didn't get to interact as much as we should have.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:29 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

SGH, I want to thank you too doing a great job with administering the project. It has been truly fun, and at moments suggestive and inspiring too.

Thanks to Ben also, who permitted it in the first place.

And thanks too everyone who made the chapter intros (including myself ). Great work, all of you!

Dear Rusco! There is no goodbye for you and me, but this is still so sad for me. Your posts have always been a pleasure to read, and your absence from the moot will be a great loss to us. Yes I liked your work with the Ruin of Doriath, and I'm full of awe of what you're doing in the Revised Sil project. I do read the public forum there from time to time you know.

'Gracias a tÃ*, que ahora marchas, dejando
un mundo ahora triste, ahora gris.'
Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

big thanks Maedhros and others... this was one discussion i did not participate in since i was fairly late in the game... but over last winter i read through most, if not all the old and new summaries and commentary and enjoyed it immensely

great work all around!!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:25 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thank you, SGH and Maedhros! I'm one of those that faded after awhile, as my long-pent-up desire to talk of things Elven finally was appeased, but I'm glad we did it. I've swung back more to LOTR stuff vs. First Age stuff, but I'll prob. swing back the other way in awhile and revisit some of the threads.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 07-22-2004, 01:07 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I've swung back more to LOTR stuff vs. First Age stuff, but I'll prob. swing back the other way in awhile and revisit some of the threads.
Yeah, I kinda did that over-kill when I read HoME 1-7 all in a row. Shoulda paced myself better.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm back from a short unintended hiatus due to busy-life syndrome, but I wanted to add my appreciation for the project.
What a great idea, and now it can be part of this forum for us to revisit when we re-read The Silm, and when we read (for some of us, for the first time) the HoME series (and of course for newbies to browse and add their thoughts)!
I was happy to do the intros I did, even though I have only read the book once, and it helped me to better appreciate it. I've said before, the project was so important for those like me who found The Silm to be a difficult read, and although I didn't always participate in the discussions, I did always read the threads. Thanks, Maedhros and SGH!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:39 AM   #8
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Although I did know that you were planning to leave the moot after the end of the project, I hoped it woudn't be a so radical leaving now that you were more regular even in GM. Lots of things remain unspoken not only Euripides but also... football I'm going to miss you.

I want also to thank you and SGH for the project. I've slackened a lot of it but I love it ands has helped me a lot to enjoy Sil more and more. It's a pity that too often the lazyness of this fat cat is to big to join a thoughtful discussion.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:33 PM   #9
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I did do two of the intros and enjoyed them, and everyone else's work. SGH, thanks for your guiding hand.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Ah, and I even managed to miss the end of the project as well...

I drifted in and out the project, I'm afraid, usually noticing the new threads only when all I could have said had been said before me.

But ah, what a project it had been! I've reached understanding on some Silmarillion scenes and passages that I had thought far beyond my grasp; thought of things I would never had thought of without the inspiration of others and saw glimpses of a Silmarillion that - even after several re-reads- I never knew before. I'm almost getting lyrical over it.

All good things end but I'm glad that this project happened in my time here. So thank you all for the wonderfull Silmarillion chapter discussions! Thank you! They were splendid.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #11
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Hey gys, although I've been very busy, and I posted little here anyways, I truly enjoyed seeing into everyone elses insights and thank SGH, Maehdros and all other participants...
Old 08-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

This thread has been closed due to the re-posting of edited text by the administration. Any further attempts to circumvent the deletion of the post or the closure of the thread will result in possible banning.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread