Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Marian Keyes

Was just wondering if anyone here had heard of/or read books by (obviously) this fantastic Irish Author? Her books include Watermelon, Sushi for Beginners and Rachel's Holiday amongst others. At present I'm plowing through her lastest novel The Other Side of the Story, which matches her other triumphs in humour, romance, tragedy and a good old look at general Irishness. She's the kind of author that you feel is your best friend telling you her most intimate secrets over a nice bottle of white wine- or maybe that's just me. If you've read any of her books or have any opinions share them here. Mx
Old 07-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I have read three of her works. Rachel's Holiday, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and Watermelon. I enjoyed Lucy Sullivan (was the first one I read), and thought Rachel's holiday was quite clever (how she was deluding herself, and the reader, and it wasn't until the end that you really had a sense on how much of a junkie she was), but Watermelon fell flat. She has a successful formula, much like Janet Evanovich, but, again, like Evanovich, she tends to the formulaic after a few books. I haven't read any of her new stuff though, so maybe she has some fresher stuff there.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:22 AM   #3
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

You'd probably like Angels or The Other Side of the Story which are slightly different from her other novels- although Angels does still concern a member of the Walsh family- older sister Margaret. I agree she does have a formula that she sticks to but I find it a nice familiarity rather than a criticism. I find Marian an author I can dip in and out of and the formula aids that. She's not my favourite author because of this but I find her novels a good read when I'm feeling down and fancy something light hearted but truthful. I found Rachel's Holiday most appealing because having read Marian's collection of journalism, Under the Duvet, and her story of her own battle with alcoholism it touched the truth vein even more.