Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Movie Fans Seeking Encouragement to Read the Books?

Do we have any 'mooters out there who have just discovered Middle-earth through the LOTR movies... and are now getting interested in reading the books? Looking for encouragement or advice? We'd be happy to help!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I just have to say that I "found" the books because of the movies. I hadn't heard of Tolkien before that. So there is something good with the movies after all. (at least for me)

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Thank you Nerdanel... I know LOTS of people like that in RL. I've been able to loan my books out to probably half a dozen people (most of whom read them) the past few years because they liked the movies, or if they hadn't seen them yet, because of the *buzz* about the upcoming movies!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

i first read hobbit when i were about 5 or 6, and lotr when i were about 8 or 9. but all of movie fans should definietely give the books a go, as they add so much more than 9 hours of film (or about 15 if you can afford EE!)
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:33 AM   #5
Mrs Maggot
Enting

I actually became interested in the books because of the movies. I had tried to read LotR once before when I was about 11 and I soldiered on until the end of Book 5 and then got really depressed and went 'Stuff this…' which was a real shame as I was so close to the end… but after I saw FotR for the first time I went straight to the book and managed to finish it in 2 weeks. That is one of the reasons why i think the movies are so great, despite their flaws, because so many more people have heard of Tolkien and are reading the books.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:52 AM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

What do you think about the film adaptation, having come to the story "the other way round"? (film first)

We have had lots of people on here moaning about how the film didn't capture this or that aspect of their conception of the book. Does the film influence how you conceive of the book? Or does the book "take over"?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote