Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
Ben
Retired Ent

Fahrenheit 9/11 Review Thread

Reviews of the movie by people who have seen it, please. I'm seeing this movie tomorrow and will comment then.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I saw it today. It was very good. It was funny and also very sad. It was not unlike Bowling for Columbine, except Moore wasn't in Fahrenheit 911 as much. He mostly just narrates. Some of the footage you see hasn't ever been shown in America. The Iraq footage is very graphic, it really shows the horror of the war. It also contains interviews with troops revealing that they do not want to be there. It is a very powerful film. Whether you like it or not depends upon your opinion of Bush. I personally loved it.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
Pirate
Enting

I want to see it so badly. I'll probably go tomarrow. It makes me mad that it's not playing very close to where I live becuase everybody here is all right wing and Bush loving . I'll have to drive and hour to Ithica to see it but I want to see it so badly, it'll be worth it.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Fahrenheit 9/11

Have any 'Mooters seen this movie yet? The attendance this weekend was unprecedented for this kind of film. Michael Moore is "out there" but has he found the perfect timing for a forum for his views? I think I would like to see it but I haven't even seen Shrek II yet.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
Janny
The Blobbit

Yes I suspect Shrek 2 will be more amusing and less biased!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I'd really like to see it. I wonder whenm it comes to Finland though..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:34 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
Yes I suspect Shrek 2 will be more amusing and less biased!
hee hee!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

hmmm... this movie looks like its a scale that has visibly more weight on one side than it has on the other,easily affecting the view of the scale...and the weighted down part would be the LEFT side...and giroth prefers scales that are EVENLY weighed..*whistles*

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #9
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Michael Moore should get an award for editing - nothing more. As has been shown on World News Tonight, This Week (which is hosted by George Stephanopholis, Clinton's campaign manager) and other news shows that Mooore edited out many things people said to just support his views.

This movie should be in the fiction/fantasy genre section, not considered a documentary.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-29-2004 at 03:15 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

A coupla quick things on the movie -

In the Very Silly category - from a newspaper article :
Quote:
... the Motion Picture Association of America banned a quote by film critic Richard Roeper from the movie's advertising material.

In his review, Roeper states: "Everyone in the country should see this film!"

According to the MPAA, calling for "everyone" to see the film is in violation of the movie's R rating. ...
so they didn't allow the Roeper quote to be used in ads for the movie! As if people can't figure out that if a movie is rated R, then everyone can't see it ...

In the Really Incorrect Overstatement category - from the same article, Jonathan Sehring, president of IFC Entertainment (a co-releaser of the film), says : "Regardless of the positioning on any billboard or movie poster, all one needs to do is open a newspaper or look at the lines outside theaters, to see that both critics and filmgoers around the country have stood united in support of this film."

I beg to differ. I've heard many negative things, as well as positive things, from critics and filmgoers. I would hardly say they've stood "united in support of this film."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #11
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

just wondering, why are american ratings so much more stricter then canadian ratings, over here the movie is 14A, does anyone know
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #12
Rían

Nope - countries are just different, I guess ...

Old 06-30-2004, 03:20 AM   #13
Millane
The Dude

It will always be a good film to see regardless of how well it portrays both sides of the film, when i watch the opposition leader talk on the news i dont expect praise for everything the PM has done. Moore is trying to put forward his views and i think he has a knack for it. Bowling for Columbine was an incredible documentary and i feel it had a lot of worth and if some viewers take everything that is there to be the WHOLE truth well "ignorance is bliss" it is the fault of the viewer not the director...
it doesnt matter how much Moore tries to break american pride Spidey will always be there to bring it right back up, ive never seen so many American flags in a movie before, every house seemed to have a huge flag hanging above their front door...
Old 06-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #14
Janny
The Blobbit

My post got deleted... it's a spooky thread... *runs and hides*

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #15
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

i made a post too that got deleted. blame bmilder.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:48 PM   #16
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Despite leaning left I have no interest in seeing it. If it's anything like Bowling for Columbine... He has good points but he sort of overdid it. Besides, what fun is a political movie? Enough politics everywhere else.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #17
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Seen it

I found it a good film - irrespective of whether one agrees with Michael Moore's views or not (and has suspicions that there's been some rather clever editing going on, to say the least!), I have to say that I think MM can make films!

I was enthralled all the way through, it was pacy (though fell over in a couple of places), it brought out a whole load of emotions ... it was an artwork.

The cinema where I saw it was packed, and at the end it got a big round of applause.
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #18
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

I just saw it today, and although it was a good movie i just cant beleive everything in it. Its obvious he is with holding clips that dont support his views.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:54 PM   #19
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i saw it today and while it seemed like a bit more information was crammed in to two hours it was good. i never really knew about some of the things in the movie like the ties with the saudi were so strong but before i believe that i would rather see both sides of it. overall though it was good, i thought bowling for columbine was a bit more organized and not so packed full of information in a short amount of time but i liked it.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:58 AM   #20
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I may be mistaken, but didn't Michael Moore come out and say this was not a truly accurate portrayal of the truth, and it's just a story?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote