Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
cgp_drumboy
Sapling

Turambar Opera

I have the taken on the incredible task of setting the story of Turin Turambar in an operatic setting.

I am curious to hear any suggestions anyone may have about the most important aspect of Turin Turambar's story. I need something just under the surface that can be seen as a theme for the entire opera.

I have in my mind already an obvious "doom/fate" theme, but I know, with the knowledge that is spread about on this site just from the first half hour I've scanned the threads that you all can help a great deal. So, give me all you've got.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

Now this is my kind of thread. I'll be here as often as I can. No suggestions yet, since I need to read it. I'll do what I can though. Will this get me a free CD?

EDIT: I didn't know your studying composition. Cool.

Last edited by trolls' bane : 07-22-2004 at 10:49 PM.
trolls' bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
cgp_drumboy
Sapling

Thanks...

Thanks for dropping a reply.

The good news is that I have already written the libretto for Act I and am deep into the second. Not much is being left out, in fact I am first taking into account the dialogue written into Narn I Hin Hurin which makes for a great starting point. Everything I am adding is strictly in regard to singing.

You should read Narn I Hin Hurin from the Unfinished Tales and know that from Nienor's meeting with Glaurung atop Amon Ethir is Scene 2.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:59 PM   #4
trolls' bane

Gollum

Cool !
What language would it be in? Italian? English? Elvish ?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:51 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgp_drumboy
I need something just under the surface that can be seen as a theme for the entire opera.
Pride always struck me as a theme in Túrin's tale too. Morwen's pride so that she didn't go to Menegroth herself because she didn't want to be an 'almsguest'. Túrin's pride that prevented him of going back to Menegroth and that made him built the bridge for Nargothrond.

Last edited by Earniel : 08-16-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
trolls' bane

Gollum

In certain parts I think something like the prelude to act 1 of Siegfried would go in well with background music. That prelude is so cool.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:38 PM   #7
cgp_drumboy
Sapling

I agree with your findings on pride in the story of Hurin's kin. Thank you very much, Earnil.

And Troll's Bane, the story will follow in Tolkien's "English" dialogue as is most of the story from the Unfinished Tales and the Silmarillion, however when the elves are speaking to each other I will attempt to translate it into Elvish.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
trolls' bane

Gollum

Wow, I don't even know a word of elvish, and here you are translating an opera into elvish .
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
trolls' bane

How's your opera coming along?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
cgp_drumboy
Sapling

Turin on stage

Thanks for asking about this again. Of course, as life goes we need to take care of some things before others and unfortunately dreams too often get little attention.

I had written the first act as tolkien wrote it using as much of his dialogue as I could, but the material is just too expansive. When I do get to it, I think it will be focused around Gluarung's death and the story that unfolds at his passing.

Musically, woodwinds and percussion would make a perfect match for the character of the piece. A timeless old story such as this needs an intimate sound instead of a full orchestral score. It is a sorowful story by the end, and I think these two instrumental families could handle it quite well. Wow, it sounds like I have been thinking about it a lot. Thanks again for keep up with this thread.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

I'm VERY happy that someone is doing something like this! As a Tolkien lover and a classical singer, i've often wondered why there weren't any operas based on his works. So many of the stories lend themselves so well to an operatic setting. Kudos to you! I'd love to hear it sometime.

PS: Are you writing the libretto in English, or in Elvish?
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
cgp_drumboy
Sapling

I fear the task of setting it to Elvish is far too complex for me to do all by myself, but if there is anyone willing to work with me on this...Ahmm...David Salo...I would be most glad!

On another note, I do have a Wordpress blog that I maintain with notes and comments about this work. Please view it here. I will be adding my posts here as well very soon.

http://charlespike.wordpress.com
Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Unless it's a rock opera, I've got nothing that can help you. Sounds interesting, though. Please keep us updated.