Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2004, 05:11 PM   #1
katya
Elven Maiden

Examination Boredom

You ever have to take an exam, then you end up with an hour left over to do *nothing*? Well, I do, all the time! Like this exam week! Here are some of the results! Most (well, all) of them are a quite silly, but maybe interesting? Anyway, here's the English class study period story:

Smelikin Pelikin

The forest showed no sign of ending. Mr. Pelikin trudged on, not seeming to mind that he had been walking for seven hours straight already.

"Isn't it good to be lost in the wood?" he thought to himself, forming his thoughts into words solely for the sake of making a rhyme.

A small bird sound escaped from a nearby pine tree. Looking in its direction with the curiosity of a small child, he searched for the little fellow, trying to get a good look at this singing feathered oddity.

Slowly, carefully, he pushed aside the branches. He smiled, a carefree smile Ea small red bird, bright as the sun, seemed to smile back. Mr. Pelikin was astonished to find that the bird could do more than just sing.

"The wind, the sun, the void. Beckoning you into the blackness. The light of the Armageddon Flower drains away into the deep shadow of torment," the bird chanted, glowing more bright by the second.

Hardly fazed, Mr. Pelikin replied, "Well, I don't know about that. Sounds like you pulled it out of your hat, mister bird on a branch, and third one down all around from the ranch that I heard in my memory, walking in the forest today so green. I say, do you have a better way to say as you mean?"

"Your most precious rooster, your sunshine on the valley of Holy Light, struck down on the eve of the Millennium Eye."

Mr. Pelikin just laughed, and started to walk away.

"What a peculiar fellow!" he though to himself. "And his feathers so red, his beak so yellow!"

He stopped, his curiosity wrestling with his desire to find his way out of the forest.

"Oi, Mr. Yellow Beak! Hearken! Me says you ought to speak, a bit more. Not too much, to be sure. For two is enough for today I say Etwo minutes, no more."

"The Great Will has spoken," it said, and was silent.

"Aren't you an odd goose? No more foul fowl is there than he who will not stay for tea and talk with his old friend, not moose of waboose, but me, Smelikin Pelikin!"

With that, he took his leave. That silly bird talked nothing but nonsense, or so he thought. Mr. Pelikin didn't even like roosters!

At long last, Mr. Pelikin pushed himself through the last of the brush and trees that made up the twisted old forest. Cheerily skipping up the steps to his cottage, he whistled a tune, about making scones, incidentally.

All cheer soon left him, however, when he opened the door. Mrs. Pelikin lay dead on the floor. The joy turned instead to ecstasy and this said he, "Praise be! Now the narrator rhymes just like me!" And so I did, and so I shall, to preserve the happiness of an old pal. THE END

EDIT: "waboose" is rabbit in some Native American language

Last edited by katya : 06-02-2004 at 05:39 PM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:27 AM   #2
katya
Elven Maiden

All right all right, does anyone else have anything they'd like to share? What do you do when the exam is over? Study for the next one? Here's the first chapter of my other story. It's slightly less goofy.

The Good Stuff / Chapter one

I sit in my office, on my spinning office chair. Sinking into the cushions, I wonder why the sun decided to be so bright today. The air is refreshingly warm, the breeze blows just when needed, and the clouds are in disgustingly perfect form. The bright happy people strolling and skipping down the street seem to be enjoying the whole business a bit too much, I'd say. Skipping, mind you. Not just drifting about, laboriously trudging down the cold stark cement, as they should, but skipping! All told, it made us here at the company look rather foolish. How can anyone believe the slogan "death is coming" on a day when the sun is shining like the glittering silver whistle between the fingers of the lifeguard at the local pool? No, it wasn't shaping up to be a good day here at The World is Ending Inc. However, since optimism is a key value here at the company, I try to put on a happy face. The pencil I twirl absently in my fingers reads "We help you with the things you can do about it – not a whole lot." I sigh, realizing how ridiculous I must look, trying to find my "happy face". These thoughts are interrupted by the gruff voice of my boss.

"Hey! Slacker!"

"Yes, sir?"

"Quit your moping and go run me an errand."

I stand up, and wait apprehensively for further orders.

"I need some of the good stuff. You know what I mean."

"Yes sir," I say and nod. I take some money out of the drawer. It's my money, incidentally. I would mind, using my own money for this stuff, but I won't be around much longer anyway. The world really is ending.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote