Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

RotK DVD

We'll I just finished watching it for the first time on DVD. I'm renting it and the bonus disc, which should come in the mail tomorrow.

Has anyone heard about easter eggs for this one?

I'm renting until the EE release and then we'll have the final marathon of the longest movie ever (except the german one with nazi puppets from the 70's, 12 hours... didn't see it)

I still had a problem seeing when Frodo actually lost the phial of Galadriel. He didn't have it when he lost sting, which is clearly visible.

Arwen dying from the ring and Denethor's flaming 100 meter dash still make me groan but the rest is pretty darn cool.

One other thing that stuck with me was that the soundtrack was a bit over the top and gothically operatic. I'm not sure that aspect will wear well.

Anyone else buy/rent either of the current release?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I just finished watching RotK. Well...It wasnt as bad as the first two rounds, but I think its because I've gotten use to it...
Smeagol's rodeo ride is still the worst for me...

We'll end up buying the EE dvd eventually, but we'll go ahead and buy the Video first

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

I did -- I got it for $15 at Target, which included a free box of microwave popcorn (but I have no microwave ) and a free 10 pack of batteries. I'm waiting till my husband can watch it with me on Saturday, since he hasn't seen it yet. Of course I like to bring up when he watched the TT EE with me, and halfway through I asked, "do you know why they are trying to get to Mordor?" and he had no idea.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Of course I like to bring up when he watched the TT EE with me, and halfway through I asked, "do you know why they are trying to get to Mordor?" and he had no idea.
LOL!!! Low rents in the off season?

Wait until he finds out that it is because Arwen has a fatal ring disease.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-27-2004, 03:16 AM   #5
Stephen
Hobbit

Free popcorn and batteries eh? I got a magnet/pictureframe. I think you got the better freebie azalea.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen
Free popcorn and batteries eh? I got a magnet/pictureframe. I think you got the better freebie azalea.
Uh, nice.... I understand the popcorn, maybe even batteries (for the remote), but a picture frame? I liked the Fellowship EE when you got a free movie pass to TTT. Now that came in handy.

Welcome to the 'Moot, Stephen.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-27-2004, 09:33 AM   #7
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Speaking of freebies, my housemate got a free copy of a special edition of Entertainment Weekly (featuring the film), as well as a pack of Duracell batteries when she bought her copy of the DVD. I guess Duracell has a marketing deal with them. Funny thing, though...I didn't notice any strategic "product placement" of Duracell products in the film. Did I miss the scene where Frodo put the batteries in the Phial??? Or did they cut it and I can look forward to it on the EE??

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...

Last edited by Beruthiel's cat : 05-27-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:02 AM   #8
Vicky
Enting

I waiting till the end of the exams, otherwise I'll spend to much time watching while I should be studying...
ALWAYS GO THEIR SEPARATE WAYS
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I succumbed to LOTR fever and bought the movie yet again, even tho I plan to buy the extended version. Our local video store had a promotion for all 3 where you pre-pay for 7 videos and then get the LOTR movie for free, so I did it for each one, and try to remember to rent one movie a week so I don't feel so guilty . I just got the Pink Panther last week - I've never seen it before!

One of my favorite scenes is the lighting of the beacons. It always really moved me in the movies, tho the Pippin/Gandalf stunt at the beginning bugged me a bit. But there was something just beautiful to me about those men (prob. terribly bored) waiting at those beacon points just in case there came a time when aid was needed, because of the great friendship between Gondor and Rohan. And the scenery was so beautiful! but as I watched that scene last night with a lump in my throat yet again, it started to occur to me that ... those beacons were mighty far apart ... and in the book, IIRC, it took about 4 days for Theoden's men to reach Gondor (is that right?) Now I'm one of those people that are terrible in geography and distances, but the movie beacons seemed like they would take a LOT more than 4 days for men (and woman and hobbit) on horseback to cover. Any comments from those who are better at distances and geography and times?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-27-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
Funny thing, though...I didn't notice any strategic "product placement" of Duracell products in the film. Did I miss the scene where Frodo put the batteries in the Phial???
Remember the scene with Pippin getting zapped by the Palantir? That's where it was Looked like a little more than the usual 12-V battery zap, tho - perhaps it was their souped-up model.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:40 PM   #11
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I never get anything when I buy a DVD! Not even a Duracell-bunny..

I'm waiting for the EE. Hope it comes earlier than November, though!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:15 PM   #12
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
LOL!!! Low rents in the off season?

Wait until he finds out that it is because Arwen has a fatal ring disease.
LOL!

Unfortunately, I don't think the EE will come out before November, because on something in the dvd (I think the rebate form) it said "Holiday 2004" next to the EE. I wonder if they'll show the EEs in any theaters.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
Cirdan

Quote:
LOL!

Unfortunately, I don't think the EE will come out before November, because on something in the dvd (I think the rebate form) it said "Holiday 2004" next to the EE. I wonder if they'll show the EEs in any theaters.
That would be nice. We are planning a marathon for Thanksgiving weekend, if the weather is bad. There was some of the extra material here and there in the RotK Bonus disk but overall it was just a rehash of the same material from the last two releases, with many more pointed remarks about how often PJ read the book. I'm only lookinf forward to the EE version itself. I think the bonus material will be much the same as this release.

Haven't found any easter eggs. I think it was only on the EE last time... correct?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-27-2004, 11:45 PM   #14
Mrs Maggot
Enting

I got mine on tuesday night and watched it on wednesday morning cos I had nothing better to do (except go to uni… oh well); I haven't watched the special features yet. I got so emotional when I got it home and put it in the DVD player… I think I may have worried my parents!
Old 05-28-2004, 09:23 AM   #15
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I got it from Barnes & Noble on the way home from school on Tuesday. (because I couldn't get my parents to take me to a movie store). I didn't get anything with it, but I don't care, I was so happy to have the DVD. My sister and I were fighting over it, just so we could hold it and admire it in the car. We were a little too exited (at least my parents think so). We watched the coronation scene first (because my favorite moment is the Faramir/Eowyn glance, and hers is the corronation itself), then watched the whole movie. And yes, were crazy, or at least obsessed.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #16
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm actually getting it today...I've been out of town, and it turns out the Barnes and Noble has a buy 2 get 1 free DVD deal today. Hopefully I'll get some Izzard stuff and Kill Bill vol. 1 as well. Maha!

I don't think the music is overly operatic/gothic. I've had the soundtrack for some time and I absolutely adore the music.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:06 AM   #17
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
...it said "Holiday 2004" next to the EE. ...
Well... July 4 is a Holiday... in the US anyway! Or could we at least hope for Labor Day?

*sigh* Well - I had thought before it might come sooner, since they're not simultaneously working on a movie to release in theaters THIS December (What! No 'Appendix A' movie!!! ). However, since they added about 30-40 minutes to the other two EE's, and we're hearing stuff like 65-100 minutes added - maybe that's where the additional time comes from. So if it's a wait until November in order to get a 5-hour movie... I guess I can wait.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:08 AM   #18
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I work at a movie store and so I got a RotK t-shirt!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #19
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
I work at a movie store and so I got a RotK t-shirt!

braggart!!!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #20
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
(What! No 'Appendix A' movie!!! ).
ROFL!