Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Calling all Conservatives...

Well I’ve moved this from the “Soldiers horrifically abuse Iraqis” thread so it doesn’t get swamped by the pace of that thread (and at the suggestion of others). Here it is all nice and spell checked now :

To the Republican/Bush supporters out there I have a genuinely serious question. How has the past month or so (the prison scandal and the reaction of the pres and Rummsfield and company, the Berg killing, the various other things that have been going on in Iraq) affected your concern over how the current administration is handling affairs:

1. It’s only strengthened my opinion that Bush is handling things the right way and well.
2. It hasn’t affected my opinion one way or another.
3. My opinion on how the administration is handling this has taken a hit but by no means am I going to bail out on them let alone even condemn it.
4. I’ve had some serious second thoughts on things recently. But I’m not quite sure if it’s gone so far as to change my point of view fundamentally.
5. I’ve grown seriously cynical on the whole affair and horribly disappointed. I don’t think the current administration really has control over the situation as I used to. And perhaps I’m even thinking about not voting for Bush or at least not voting at all.
6. I’m so affected by this that I have decided to change my vote.

Just genuinely curious. No agendas to make here. No tricks. Just wondering how it’s affected those who have been supporters of the current administration. And if none of those choices quite do the trick then feel free to alter the one most closely along the lines of your own. Or say "I’m between 3 and 4" or something like that.

Val if you want to just cut and paste what you already said in the other thread that’s cool. I didn’t want to do it for you in case you wanted to elaborate further on this now. And note the question itself is really for current or former administration supporters but the thread is open to anyone that has a comment based on the opinions themselves.

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is has the drop we’ve seen in the polls recently for Bush tied directly to this episode and does it include former bush supporters who no longer support him or is it more middle of the road types or previously undetermined voters who have now been affected enough to be actively against the practices of the current administration. So there’s the standard full disclosure. Fire away.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Re: Calling all Conservatives...

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
To the Republican/Bush supporters out there I have a genuinely serious question. How has the past month or so (the prison scandal and the reaction of the pres and Rumsfeld and company, the Berg killing, the various other things that have been going on in Iraq) affected your concern over how the current administration is handling affairs:
As I said, I'm closest to a 4...

4. I’ve had some serious second thoughts on things recently. But I’m not quite sure if it’s gone so far as to change my point of view fundamentally.

And I italicized the one spelling mistake I still saw.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
To the Republican/Bush supporters out there I have a genuinely serious question. How has the past month or so (the prison scandal and the reaction of the press and Rumsfeld and company, the Berg killing, the various other things that have been going on in Iraq) affected your concern over how the current administration is handling affairs:
And I italicized the spelling error I saw.

Yes, no.4 is what I'll go with.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

actually thats "pres" short for "president" you nit pickers. I forget the little period. And who cares how rumsfeld spells his name. If its a proper name I go by the policy that sounding like it is close enough. Im sure Mr. Tolkeen would agree.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I go with number 2 as I said in the iraq thread. War is hell - things go good, things go bad. Not everything is forseeable. If the administration was not changing tactics with the changing situations - then I would have a problem - but they do change and adapt. World War II, World War I, the Revolution - not even the Civil War was a sure thing. They had their ups and downs and this is no different. It has only been one year and it is a LONG process - it wasn't going to be easy and it's not going to be easy. If we stick with it - carry on and don't lose sight of the goal - we will suceed.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Could it be (is it possible) that the necessary next step in the process may involve a change in power not to an ultra left wing candidate but to a moderate war experienced democrat like Kerry who will suddenly engander such relief (and hopefully cooperation) from so many other countries in the world that he could start the next step of bringing others into the fold in ways that Bush simply cant do.

I guess what Im saying is, is it possible that we needed BOTH Bush AND someone else in this highly complex struggle against an amorphous invisible enemy. Or is it your opinion that only a strong hawkish conservative could see this thing through to the end.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
jerseydevil

Quote:
Could it be (is it possible) that the necessary next step in the process may involve a change in power not to an ultra left wing candidate but to a moderate war experienced democrat like Kerry who will suddenly engander such relief (and hopefully cooperation) from so many other countries in the world that he could start the next step of bringing others into the fold in ways that Bush simply cant do.

I guess what Im saying is, is it possible that we needed BOTH Bush AND someone else in this highly complex struggle against an amorphous invisible enemy. Or is it your opinion that only a strong hawkish conservative could see this thing through to the end.
I don't think the rest of the world really wants to help - except under their terms. Powell had talked to France, Russia, Germany - had even come back with France with a verbal guarantee that there would be only the ONE remaining resolution. if they did not work - they were not going to stand in the way of US action. Instead they did and went back on their word.

I do think that Bush is the best person to handle this. I do not think that kerry can do anything to bring France, Germany and Russia or anyone else in to help - because they simply don't want to - unless they are the one's calling the shots. I'm not trusting OUR personal security to Europe or any other country or world organization.

Also - contrary to your statement - it wasn't only the US that went into Iraq - there are many countries all playing various roles.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I can tell that Kerry is a fakey because he seems to want exactly what the public wants...kindof a false link between the liberals and conservatives.
Whereas Bush does what he sees is best.
and you have to realize, you are not the president, so you're going to look at things differently than He. If you were in his position, you'd do alot of thinking that you didnt want to do!, and there is no way to please everybody.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:48 AM   #9
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
and you have to realize, you are not the president, so you're going to look at things differently than He.
May He live forever.

(As long as we're being picky- or is that a typo? )

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 AM   #10
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
I can tell that Kerry is a fakey because he seems to want exactly what the public wants...kindof a false link between the liberals and conservatives.
Whereas Bush does what he sees is best.
...and where did the term "compassionate conservatism" come from? Not a political campain slogan!!!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #11
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
...and where did the term "compassionate conservatism" come from? Not a political campain slogan!!!
There have been political slogans since the start of this country. That however does not mean that Bush isn't or didn't plan on doing things that he had promised in his campaign. Things changed on 9/11 that forever changed the way he could be president. If 9/11 didn't happen - he would have been a very different president. Any president in the office during 9/11 would have been different without that happening.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Right, but NOT a "fakey(sic) link between liberals and conservatives"???
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:00 PM   #13
Hawklan
Enting

ive been dissapointed with what was going on with the photographs etc. im not naive, bad things have to hapen in a war, play fair and you'll get beaten. bad things have to happen in a bad time, but the pix were out of order. both sides are doing their bit for worst side, if you see what i mean, the iraqis are no better with their attrocities and treatment of pow's. i still agree we had to go in there, but i think we could have handled the post war part a lot better
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Hawklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:17 PM   #14
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Just because someone has war experience doesn't mean that would necessarily make them a good leader during war, but eh.

Even though I don't consider myself any political leaning anymore (I suppose I'm super-moderate), I would have to say 5.