Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Metal

I listen to alot of different musical genres from classical to progressive rock, but one of my favorites is metal. I like a wide range of different metal such as heavy, power, speed and death metal. I'm not talking about crappy nu-metal or industrial, but bands with real talent. The metal scene in Sweden, Norway and Finland is thriving with many talented acts. Some of my favorite metal bands are:

Nevermore
Opeth
Novembers Doom
Hammerfall
Children of Bodom
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Katatonia
Metallica (older stuff)
Shadows Fall
Megadeth
System of a Down
Iced Earth
Firewind
Tool (not sure if they are metal lol but really I think they are in their own music genre)
Blind Guardian
Killswitch Engage
and many more....

Anyone else really enjoy metal?

Last edited by Ragnarok : 04-24-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:56 AM   #2
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i enjoy metal and only some nu metal. my fav band being soad is usually classified as nu metal but there are so many artist who consider them to be kind of political metal(dont know if thats exactly how thye say it but meh) i like soad becasue they send out a message rather then that bull**** disturbed does and slipknot is all image, another nu metal band i like is korn, bu they were the first of their kind really. some metal bands i like are
ozzy,soad,shadows fall, metallica(definetly older stuff),36 crazy fists, blind guardian, tool which really does have their own genre,korn and im sure there is more but im too lazy
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:29 AM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Somehow I knew if anyone was to make a post about metal it would be either me or you, ragnarok. Anyway here's my most listened to list of fav bands from the metal genre and all it's sub-genres. I basically just ran through items that were on my playlist. The first 5 are definately my top 5 and then the rest follow in no real order . . .

AC/DC (not really metal, but my fav nonetheless)
Iron Maiden
Children of Bodom
Amon Amarth
Blind Guardian
Running Wild
Elvenking (a highly suggested listen for fans of Blind Guardian)
Quo Vadis
Hammerfall
Cryptopsy
Dismember
Arch Enemy
At the Gates
Helloween
Sigh
Borknagar
Dimmu Borgir
Cannibal Corpse
Norther (sounds a lot like CoB)
Stratovarius
Daughters
#$%& I'm Dead
Manowar
Decapitated
Metallica (first 3 albums)
Megadeth
Iced Earth
Carcass
Dark Tranquility
Gandalf (listen to them, they're not what you might expect)
Einherjer
Sonata Arctica
Unearth
Immortal
Kamelot
Judas Priest
Kreator
Marduk
Mythic Force
Mastodon
Nightwish
Nile
Rotting Christ
Satyricon
Sammael
Zyklon
Yngwie Malmsteen
Vader
Steel Attack
Slayer
Dissection
Apocalytica
Shadows Fall
Sepultura
Naglfar
Obituary
In Flames
Graveworm
Killswitch Engage
System of a Down
Dream Evil
Death
Sinergy (Alexei Laiho from CoB on guitar)
Warmen (Jannes Warmen from CoB on keyboard)
Metallica (first 3 albums)
Megadeth

Out of all the genres I probably like pure death the most. Though about a year ago I would have probably said power metal. Nothing makes me smile like a good power metal song.

On another note, in two days I am most likely going to see Bodom and Iced Earth in NYC. It will be quite awesome.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."

Last edited by Anglorfin : 04-30-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Yes, Metal is the truly the music of kings. Nu-metal is of course an awful genre which has absolutely nothing to do with true metal.

My favourite metal bands are

Black Sabbath, Manowar, Pantera,Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Blind Guardian, Manowar, Metallica, Manowar, Megadeth, Manowar, Dream Theater and Manowar.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Yes, Metal is the truly the music of kings. Nu-metal is of course an awful genre which has absolutely nothing to do with true metal.

My favourite metal bands are

Black Sabbath, Manowar, Pantera,Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Blind Guardian, Manowar, Metallica, Manowar, Megadeth, Manowar, Dream Theater and Manowar.
Manowar rocks!

Brothers of Metal is one of the best metal anthem songs of all time.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 04-29-2004, 03:03 PM   #6
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Can't say I'm the biggest metal-fan, but I love Blind Guardian and Metallica (haven't heard any of their newer stuff though), Iron Maiden is pretty good and there are probably more I can't remember the names of.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i haven't heard of alot of the bands you guys have mentioned, but i do like metallica, megadeth (one of my favs), tool, soad, type o negative (not in my top ten, but oh well), iron maiden, der auschwitz (a german band whose name i can never spell properly...)

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:16 PM   #8
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
On another note, in two days I am most likely going to see Bodom and Iced Earth in NYC. It will be quite awesome.
Awesome, I like both bands, hope you enjoy the concert.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #9
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ravyn
i haven't heard of alot of the bands you guys have mentioned, but i do like metallica, megadeth (one of my favs), tool, soad, type o negative (not in my top ten, but oh well), iron maiden, der auschwitz (a german band whose name i can never spell properly...)
Alot of those bands are from Finland, Sweden and Norway which is probably why you aren't familar with them nor are they mainstream metal. (well not in America anyways...)
Old 04-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #10
Pirate
Enting

System of a down is my favorite band. I love the kind of message they put out. I also adore Tool. I really don't like the kind of metal that's nothing more than mindless screaming, like Nile and Sepultura.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 PM   #11
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Yeah, I wouldn't be fooling anyone to say I'm a hardcore metalheaad, but nothing can excite me the way it does. And that excitement definatly can't be typed out; if you ever watched me listen to it, you would know. I felt inexplicably flattered myself when I read Hammerfall from your list. Power Metal is the best genre ever.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
Manowar rocks!

Brothers of Metal is one of the best metal anthem songs of all time.
You know why that ticks me off. They write a whole song embodying the very essence of Metal, a Metal song, about Metal, a tribute to Metal, but not once say "brethren" instead of "brothers."
Old 05-04-2004, 09:46 AM   #12
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo

You know why that ticks me off. They write a whole song embodying the very essence of Metal, a Metal song, about Metal, a tribute to Metal, but not once say "brethren" instead of "brothers."

Yeah I agree. Brethren is a much more clannish and metal word that brothers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
System of a down is my favorite band. I love the kind of message they put out. I also adore Tool. I really don't like the kind of metal that's nothing more than mindless screaming, like Nile and Sepultura.
Not mindless at all. What better way to match some of the most aggressive instrumentals than by belting out the most aggressive vocals? It fits that way. And takes an amazing amount of talent and stamina.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #13
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Is anyone going to Ozzfest this year? ... they have quite a few good bands on the main stage.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:26 AM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I was huge metal in the mid-80's when the first wave of Neo-Classical fusion hit big. Luckily was in an adult body by age 13. Blacks kids listening to metal then were easy teasing fodder.

I have kind of left the music scene all together. It just doesn;t move me as it once did.

I went to the Ozzfest in Toronto in 2001 and was like I'm too old for this. Not the music per se but the scene was 20 years past for me.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:31 AM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Have any of you heard of about the Russian band Aria?

They are the Russian version of Iron Maiden.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:40 PM   #16
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I haven't heard of them, I'll look them up though
Old 05-19-2004, 04:08 PM   #17
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Is anyone going to Ozzfest this year? ... they have quite a few good bands on the main stage.
I'm not going to Ozzfest, but I was going to see Ozzy in Newcastle when he was up here, but he cancelled, and I never got to go.

Do any of you guys know any Finnish rock/metal bands that are unknown in Britain? I love Finnish metal and I'm trying to get into more stuff, but the selection is limited where I am at the moment.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:39 PM   #18
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

My favorites would be Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, To Die For, and Sonata Arctica.

A Few others bands I know of are Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Thy Serpent, Ensiferum, Amorphis, Shape of Despair, Nightwish, Sentenced, ...And Oceans. (I think most of those bands are black metal which I'm not really into.)
Old 05-19-2004, 05:54 PM   #19
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I was just about to buy a Nightwish album, but I couldn't find my card.....

I'll have to check the others out tomorrow. Thanks.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 07:25 PM   #20
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The Nightwish album I would suggest to you is Oceanborn.

There are neo-classiacl fusion. The female lead singer uses a operatic style of singing.