Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden Anticipated Additional Scenes - ROTK / EE

It's been awhile since we discussed these, but these are the additional scenes I expect will actually be included in the extended edition of "Return of the King" (from what we saw in trailers, heard in rumors, etc). Can anyone think of others? Don't include scenes we KNOW won't be there (ie, 'Scouring of the Shire'):
[list=1][*]Death of Saruman & Grima Wormtongue[*]Aragorn uses Palantir of Orthanc[*]Ghan-buri-ghan leads Rohirrim thru Druadan Forest to Minas Tirith[*]Confrontation of Gandalf & Witch King[*]Houses of Healing[*]Frodo & Sam 'captured' by marching orcs in Mordor - and their subsequent escape[*]Mouth of Sauron[*]Faramir + Eowyn[/list=1]

Which of these do you most look forward to seeing?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I think that Gandalf and the witchking's confrontation will be cool!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

wow... i didn't realize there were so many... i look forward to them all... the more the better
Old 04-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I think the scenes where sam and frodo are captured by orcs are the scenes I want to see the most. It'll be good to see more book in the movie.
I was really relieved when I saw the EE of FotR, which I thought was great when extended.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
Valandil

Theoden

I tried to place them in the order I expect they would appear. Hadn't we heard that there would be an extra 65 minutes? (with some rumors of a 5 hour total - which would be +100 minutes!) Some of that, I'm sure, will just be 'fleshing-out' other scenes. I'm fairly certain I've heard or seen mention of each of the above though.

I'm not even sure which I'll like the most...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 04-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

ghan-buri-ghan would be interesting... i'd not heard about that at all... i wonder who plays him?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
ghan-buri-ghan would be interesting... i'd not heard about that at all... i wonder who plays him?
Don't know - but Dunedain once posted about how he had been listed in the credits - and was later removed. That's the only indication I have for that scene.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm looking forward to seeing Saruman die. I've been waiting three years to see him fall onto that spiked wheel! Sheesh.

There are going to be a lot of small additions to scenes, like in the other EE DVDs. I want to see more of Cirith Ungol; it seemed to me, when I watched the movie, that quite a bit was cut from those scenes.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:09 AM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I hope the Houses of Healing and Faramir and Eowyn are in there.

But if the Houses are in, how does that explain Merry at the Black Gate? Will he experience a magically quick recovery, or will he not be injured as badly from stabbing the Witch-king in the back of the knee?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #10
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I hope the Houses of Healing and Faramir and Eowyn are in there.

But if the Houses are in, how does that explain Merry at the Black Gate? Will he experience a magically quick recovery, or will he not be injured as badly from stabbing the Witch-king in the back of the knee?
Don't know exactly... maybe the 'Houses' part focuses more on Aragorn's healing of Eowyn and Faramir... maybe Merry gets back up on his feet to do that ole hobbit toughness!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #11
Telcontar
Enting

I'm looking forward to seeing the Mouth of Sauron and Gandalf vs Witchking.

Is the latter the part that was shown in the original theatrical trailer but was never shown in the theatrical release? I'm talking about where Gandalf confronts the W.K. at what appears to be a tower in Minas Tirith. I wondered why they hadn't included it in the movie.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Telcontar
Is the latter the part that was shown in the original theatrical trailer but was never shown in the theatrical release? I'm talking about where Gandalf confronts the W.K. at what appears to be a tower in Minas Tirith. I wondered why they hadn't included it in the movie.
I imagine so... and I have NO IDEA why it didn't make the theatrical release... it seems like it could have been a VERY cool scene. At least it must have that potential.

Has anyone heard a release date for the EE? I know there's some May date out there for a release... I ASSUME theatrical...???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-09-2004, 10:05 AM   #13
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I read somewhere that the Theatrical Version is going to be released around the 25th of May, and the EE version in August/November - but it's not official.

I can't wait to see the EE DVD. I can't really pick a scene out of the above. I want to see them all.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #14
Orli17
Elven Warrior

yea teh whole movie kinda didn't make sense. sometiems it'd get cut off adn ur like hey we were watching the siege battles and then now we're at the rohan encampment and all....and Merry all healthy to face the Black Gate was certianly confusing if you didn't read teh book.
i think the normal version is incomplete and the EE wil tell the complete story.... i wanna see faramir and eowyn get together in the houses of healing and all. And merry recovering....when exactly is it coming out again? Cuz i was goin to bkk this summer and if its not out by then guess i'll have to buy it in singapore ....

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Orli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #15
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Orli17
Merry all healthy to face the Black Gate was certianly confusing if you didn't read teh book.
It was confusing even if you did read the book!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:20 AM   #16
Orli17
Elven Warrior

indeed.....i think they shouldn't have cut out main parts...ppl were prob really baffled....hmmmm

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
2. his picture

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Old 04-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
Valandil

Theoden

Yeah... imagine - a 3 hour, 20 minute movie that just seems all chopped up! Shows how big a task this whole project was... even after cutting, cutting and MORE cutting, it was still three LONG movies.

I almost wonder if the more cohesive stories will be the extended editions, rather than the theatrical versions. In some cases (like other movies) you might expect the additional stuff of an EE to be un-necessary to the advancement of the story. However, in the case of the LOTR movies, the added segments in the EE's really 'flesh out' the story. Maybe at some point, that even became the aim of the production team: sort of, 'We'll tell the WHOLE story, as much as we can, in the extended editions, then we'll trim whatever we possibly can to make it short enough to be workable in a theater.' The goal MAY have become (especially once great profits were assured anyway) to make the EE more important than the theatrical. Ironic, if true... and backwards to how most production teams would approach a problem.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #18
Orli17
Elven Warrior

Quote:
The goal MAY have become (especially once great profits were assured anyway) to make the EE more important than the theatrical
I dun really think they intended to make the EE more important. It just happened to BE important cuz unless you read the book and you happened to watch ROTK you'll be kinda clueless. That's what i think.....

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
2. his picture

Old 04-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #19
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Based on experience from the other two EEs, I predict "additional" and "extended" bodily function scenes. As good as the EEs have been, it's also obvious that PJ doesn't want to leave any belching and burping on the cutting room floor.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:26 PM   #20
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Off subject but, how would they kill Sauromon and Grima if there is no Scouring of the Shire? If the 5 hour thing is true then I would expect Ghan-buri-ghan to be in it because to explain or show that whole story there I'd say a good 30 min. are needed. It wouldn't suprise me if they did make the EE more important...simply because this was different from other movies so why not have everyhitng different? Why exactly was Merry at the Black Gates? He was supposed to be hurt. Wasn't Pip supposed to be hurt to? I really need to reread the books.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote