Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2001, 05:06 AM   #1
IronParrot

World Figure Skating Championships

If my memory serves me well, I'm not the only one here at this board who follows figure skating... so I thought I'd start this here...

Anyway, yes, the literal and figurative fall of Elvis Stojko was very disappointing. Canada has yet to produce a truly world-class female skater (Jennifer Robinson can't really compete with Michelle Kwan or them Russians)... on the upside, Canada finally has a world champion pairs team for the first time in decades, and Bourne and Kraatz seem like they're finally beginning to break the bronze medal jinx in ice dance.

And what about Todd Eldredge? I haven't watched all of today's men's free skate, but... second after the short? One hell of a comeback, I'd say...

(edit) Just saw Plushenko and Eldredge... my my, with those two and Elvis combined, I don't think there's been so much booing at the judges in recent memory.
Old 03-23-2001, 05:08 AM   #2
IronParrot

Re: World Figure Skating Championships

And what's with three people in the men's long program using the music from Gladiator? That has to be some kind of record.
Old 03-24-2001, 07:30 AM   #3
galadriel1

Yep, there are a few of us skating fans around - myself and of course, Eruve. I`m sure we`ll see her in this thread. I`ve only seen the ladies` short program up to now. More on that tomorrow. It``s getting too late right now. There have been several major competitions where several competitors have had the same music. Remember the duel of the Carmens at the `88 Calgary Olympics? Gladiator is riding a wave of popularity right now and thus, it seems, the music from the film is as well.
Old 03-25-2001, 02:54 AM   #4
anduin

Eruve....

I hope she does show up.....I haven't seen her around in awhile! I don't go outside this board much, so has anyone else seen her?
Old 03-25-2001, 03:37 AM   #5
bmilder

Re: Eruve....

I haven't seen her around here in at least a month... checking her profile, her last post was about two weeks ago at Gilthalion's Hobbits board.
Old 03-25-2001, 04:50 AM   #6
gdl96

Re: Eruve....

While we're on the subject of tracking people down, I actually posted some messages at the last places Darth Nut posted. Maybe I should try to get Ryan.
Old 03-25-2001, 04:53 AM   #7
gdl96

Okay...Ryan's last post was one year and two months ago at entmoot. Scratch that.
Old 03-25-2001, 02:57 PM   #8
Eruve

Hello! You might have known I'd show up on this thread! I've just been persuing other interests recently (such as figure skating).

Poor Elvis! I was sure he'd decide to go pro after this, but no, he's staying in. As long as he stays healthy next season, he could still do well. How about Yagudin! Yes, I love him. He really fought back. And Pluschenko! I'm more of a Yags fan, but when Plusch landed that quad sequence I knew he'd won it. That was one awesome skate.

Also happy for Jamie and David. I wasn't sure the judges would give it to them, but they did. They had quite the program this year. Watch out for the Chinese, though. Once they get a good program and work more on their presentation, they will be a major force to reckon with.

Ladies' short program was just amazing. So many clean skates. Godd for Michelle Kwan, she really came through when she had to (just like last year). I was disappointed for Irina, though, I was sure she was going to win (and so was she: she looked royally p***ed off after her marks came up and she was second).

Ice dance was a bit of a joke this year. I was happy for the Italians, sice they're so cute in interviews, but they didn't really deserve to win...
Old 03-25-2001, 08:55 PM   #9
Idril Celebrindal

I know all about people winning comps when they don't deserve it... I'm so jealous of those skaters. They're amazing. I could never skate that well. And... I'd never get such a nice dress as some of the ones out there