Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

the Sword-Dancer books

anyone ever read Jennifer Roberson's series? i read it last fall and it was SO good! tiger kind of reminds me of Viggo Mortensen in Hidalgo, or Harrison Ford in Star Wars.

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:33 AM   #2
BelegS
Enting

It was a pretty good and very funny read. The whole series with the exception of the first part of the last book is great.
Like the characters of Abu Benshir and Sandtiger.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

yay! finally, someone has heard of these wonderful books!
yeah, the last 2 books were kinda weird; i got a little confused, but i stuck with it and was pleased by the ending- i thought it suited the characters. there are some fantasies that i've read that end completely screwed up and don't seem to fit the rest of the series, but i think this ending did.

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:12 AM   #4
BelegS
Enting

Quote:
yeah, the last 2 books were kinda weird; i got a little confused, but i stuck with it and was pleased by the ending- i thought it suited the characters. there are some fantasies that i've read that end completely screwed up and don't seem to fit the rest of the series, but i think this ending did.
I was a bit disallusioned by all this Sandtigers inheritence scheme and the subsequent events away from the South or the North. She should have kept the action to the north and south, IMO.

Also I found the ending kind of stuffy. It seemed hurried and manufactured and well cliched. I mean one moment sandtiger is coming out after witnessing the birth of his child and the next moment Abu Benshir is upon him calling him out to the circle. They fight a quick battle and then all's done. It seemed way too cliched.

I don't think these are stories one should read for their plot, which isn't anything exclusive; instead it is the customs of the region, the quirks of the characters involved, the intrest one inevitably places in the details of swordfighting and the bickering of the two diametrically opposed protagnists is what makes these novels a fun read. [Atleast for me]
Old 05-22-2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i agree that the plot was a little...common, and that the characters and humor made the book. i suppose if you look at the ending it was a little rushed, but i think tiger had to prove something to himself at that moment, and he did (forgive me if i'm forgetting the details; i read them a while ago, so little things are a bit fuzzy to me )

My Space!