Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Smartman

*This is a story I've written that I haven't yet posted on Entmoot, so I thought I would. Smartman is the hero of this story. The end of each individual post is a section break.*

Smartman

“Will you please send my proposal of marriage to Nironelle for me, my trusted councilor? You cannot possibly understand what I am feeling,” Prince Airborne continued, “for you have never married, but my love is deep and intense. I am in love with the fair princess of the land, Nironelle. A fairer lady never was seen.”

“Certainly true, sir,” Smartman answered with an understanding nod. “But would she want to come to our country, the land of Smartname, to live?”

“Ah, I’m sure she will!” Airborne’s voice sounded like velvet rustled over paper— so nobody heard it.

“Sorry; what was that, sir?”

“AH, I AM SURE SHE WILL!” Airborne crowed in triumph, and Smartman covered his ears in pain.

“You know not what true love is,” Airborne said with a romantic, forlorn, pasty grin. “If she feels half of what is in my heart, she will not be able to avoid fainting with adoration.

“You know how fair young ladies are, with their delicate temperaments,” he said knowingly to Smartman. “If I was not so strong and powerful, I might do the same thing. My handsomeness is no bonus,” he said with a small laugh. “Even though it is great.”

“I see, sir,” Smartman said. “How if she won’t accept to marry you?”

“Then tell her I understand,” Airborne answered, “and I will make the date sooner, for her own sake.

“Ladies are quick to lose their affection, you know.”

“What if she loses it the moment I offer your proposal for you, sir?”

“Then she is not worthy of me, but I will accept her anyway,” Airborne answered.

“Will you force her to marry you?” Smartman queried.

“Ah, surely you realize, love is in the heart,” Airborne said with a wide smile.

“So you wouldn’t allow me to force her?”

“The love that is in us will draw us together. You have my authorization to eliminate anything that gets in the way of our affection.”

“I understand you sir,” Smartman answered.

He bowed before the prince and left the room. Smartman had his own reasons for wanting this marriage to take place. If the princess married Airborne, the kingdom of Smartname and the kingdom of Torleith would be united under Airborne’s rulership, after the current king of Torleith died. Smartman was planning to arrange that death to happen swiftly after the marriage, so that Airborne would assume the position of ultimate power in the land. Then Smartman would become of a far higher rank himself, and could see about getting the crown for his own position.

Smartman was glad that he was named what he was; his name did suit him.

“Pigsnout!” he called his squire by name; he stood nearby. The squire ran up to him.

“Saddle two horses, one for you and one for me,” Smartman told him gracefully.

The squire swiftly did as he was told. He knew what disobedience meant, a hasty death. Smartman was ruthless when he wasn’t obeyed, and everyone in the castle knew it.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-13-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote