Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2001, 07:41 PM   #1
gdl96

Discussion

I have been going to this other board for several months now. It is mainly focused on the popular computer game "The Sims". At first, it was great. It was fun to post and read other posts about other people's Sims stories and whatnot. But after a while, it wasn't that great anymore. There wasn't any real, intelligent conversation going on anymore, which made that begining charm start to fade away. There were mainly pointless posts, it seemed, and at times, many threads on one topic.

The first thing that got me ticked off there was when they complained about my signature. This was when there was the fairly long Simpsons quote and links to my board and Entmoot. There weren't even any graphics. Anyway, they all started complaining it was too long until I finally cut it down leaving a shorter version of the quote and just a link to my board. (sorry )

Just very recently, they abolished all signatures. Now that's just plain wrong. And in my opinion, the graphics in the signatures were sparse compared to ones I've seen at other boards. This was just plain bull. And now I'm pretty pissed off.

It's not just all the sig thing that's making me mad. It's the way the admins and mods run the board. I just don't like it. The board has many members and many forums, and it makes it feel crowded in a way, and you almost get no personal attention. I haven't made one friend there yet. At most other boards, I probably would have by now.

I am probably gonna leave the board, but I'm gonna try one thing before I leave. I want to start a very heated discussion there and see what happens there. Not heated as in something like the Canada Wars, but something that will have people taking sides, and bringing up good points, so I can see if they have any intelligence in them at all. The problem is I don't know what to discuss about. So the whole point of this thread is just to ask for ideas for a discussion there. So if anyone has one, please post it. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2001, 08:21 PM   #2
Lief Erikson

Re: Discussion

You could discuss politics.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:17 AM   #3
juntel

How about discussing... signatures?
Old 04-20-2001, 12:25 AM   #4
gdl96

Good one, Leif, but maybe be a bit more specific.

I was thinking of just copying the first post in the creation sciences, but I thought that might be too much.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:14 AM   #5
The White Lady Eowyn

I like the idea of signatures; start a diaglogue w/one of your problems with the board and let it get heated from there. It's killing 2 birds w/1 stone! (and if anyone ever hits a bird w/a stone in RL they'll have ME to deal with!)

WL Eowyn
Old 04-20-2001, 01:54 PM   #6
Lief Erikson

Perhaps creation sciences would be too much for starters, but after you've mellowed everyone out a bit, you could try that as well.

In politics, you could discuss the Gore vs Bush election, or if you didn't want to stir glowing embers, you could talk about the newly settled China not-quite-hostages crisis. Or the war which is sparking in the Middle East.
Old 04-20-2001, 02:24 PM   #7
Darth Tater

Ya know, we briefly considered deleting sigs at one time. Sometimes it can be a pain for those with slow connections. If a board ultimately isn't right for you, leave, you can do that, it's not rl after all. However, if you want heated discussion just ask gil and juntel to visit that board
Old 04-20-2001, 05:43 PM   #8
Lief Erikson

Gak! I accidentally left the princess emoticon with my name! Editing time . . .
Old 04-26-2001, 07:05 PM   #9
gdl96

Maybe I should request Gil and Juntel's help. But what I want to do is to bring up a conversation SOO controversial that people will take sides and defend them to the death, causing the board to possibly just collapse. The only problem is that I'm skeptical that the board can hold out a good conversation. Any ideas for something like that? I usually don't stay mad very long, so the quicker I start this, the more grudge I will still have against the board.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:43 PM   #10
juntel

Hmmm... haven't you read the January 1st Year Resolution thread?

And I don't think Gil, me or others just "made up" the heat that was going on...
It's based on personal convictions clashing together...

My advice is: let them be.
Go where you're wanted, and where you feel good.

Unless you want to become something like azstar

Controversies, anyway, easily come by themselves in everyday life; so why create them?
Old 04-26-2001, 11:40 PM   #11
Johnny Lurker

Controversy, eh?

*sighs*

I've had my fill of that recently.

juntel... you aren't a Christian hardcore music fan, are you?
Old 04-27-2001, 12:59 AM   #12
Lief Erikson

Re: Controversy, eh?

This is a general discussion board, where anyone can speak about anything and aren't linked to one specific topic, correct?
Old 04-27-2001, 04:17 AM   #13
juntel

JL:
nah...
i don't go much further than Roger Whitaker...
...or maybe Eden's Bridge for Xristian music, but only because i love their celt sound...

Not "hardcore" at all i'm afraid...
Old 04-27-2001, 12:50 PM   #14
Darth Tater

Hmm, I glanced at the last comment in this thread (last sentence in juntel's post) before reading the rest and thought I'd have to ban someone
Old 04-28-2001, 03:20 AM   #15
Johnny Lurker

Excellent.

I'm quite relieved to hear that.
Old 04-29-2001, 02:29 AM   #16
Gilthalion

Re: Excellent.

Hmm. I don't know how sophisticated they are, but you might create two different identities, copy my posts and juntel's posts, and keep crossposting to recreate discussions that were posted here.

If that's the sort of thing you're after...

heh heh heh