Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-14-2001, 08:33 PM   #1
Tar Melian

Chit Chat & What not...

This has probably been done, but I thought it might be fun to start a place to talk about whatever's going on with you to whoever wants to post. Sort of like chatting over a cup of coffee.

So I'll start by saying that I've been having a hankering for my grandmother's chicken and dumplings lately! But since she's not here any more, and no one ever got the recipe from her, I've been looking for a good recipe.

I made some about 2 weeks ago, but the dumpings turned out to be these blobs of biscuits-which tasted OK-everyone else like it. BUT it was not like the flat kind my grandmother made.

ANYWAY, I'm really excited because I found some the other day in the frozed food area, that are flat!!!
So I stewed a whole chicken, and tried these dumplings out just yesterday, and wah-la! It was great!!!!!!

Oh well, if you haven't ever had homemade chicken and dumplings....they're wonderful!

Old 03-14-2001, 09:03 PM   #2
Idril Celebrindal

Re: Chit Chat & What not...

hehe... yeah, I have. It were, however, meant to be chicken and yorkshire puddings.

U really don't want to know what's going on with me. It's not exactly a fun subject to get onto.
Old 03-15-2001, 12:32 AM   #3
Tar Melian

yorkshire puddings?

I've never gotten into the pudding thing either! blah!

Anywho, if you do want to talk about something, give it a try! There are some pretty neat people on this site!
Old 03-15-2001, 01:32 AM   #4
anduin

Well.....

Things are pretty busy at work. I spent the day finishing up a shirt and then started and finished a pair of funky hip-hugger bell bottoms for our production of School House Rocks. Does anyone here know or remember what that is? During Saturday morning cartoons ABC would show these short musical educational cartoons. They had these great catchy tunes. We have been listening to the CD in the shop for about a month now......and I never seem to tire of it.
Old 03-15-2001, 02:25 PM   #5
X Rogue

Re: Well.....

I remember those School House things very well. In fact, I passed a test in junior high once based on the fact that I had memorized the Preamble of our Constitution watching School House Rocks.

Psst...about those flat dumplings. My grandmother used to make them that way by using - no kidding- pie crust. And they tasted great. As a result, I cannot understand why people like the biscuity doughy kind.
Old 03-15-2001, 05:37 PM   #6
Tar Melian

ooh...

pie crust is a good idea! Maybe I'll try that next!

Well, I can't say that I remember School House Rock, but I do remember hip huggers! Sounds fun to be sewing...is that part of your work, or an extracurricular activity?

One of my recent hobbies is s****booking, but I haven't had time to do it lately. This weekend I'm going to a friend's lakehouse to spend the weekend working on our club s****book...FUN! :rollin:
Old 03-15-2001, 06:47 PM   #7
Idril Celebrindal

Re: ooh...

I'm spending the weekend roller skating. I love it! Actually, this is kind of stressful, because I'm competing down near London on saturday (y'know those crazy people who throw themselves through the air on ice skates? I do stuff like that, but on wheels...), and that's always scary. I've been doing it for several years now, but still get really scared. There are so many people watching you.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:42 PM   #8
Tar Melian

skating

Wow, sounds like you're pretty good at it! Well, I wish you lots of luck, break a leg, or whatever they say. Oh, and have fun!

Performing/competing always made me extremely nervous too. (Once my mom had to give me a nerve pill just so I could manage a piano recital! That's pretty bad.)
Old 03-15-2001, 09:46 PM   #9
Gilthalion

Re: skating

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Old 03-16-2001, 01:54 AM   #10
anduin

Hooking up words, phrases and clauses! :)

....like and, but and or....

X Rogue.....A lot of people cite SHR as helping them with the Preamble. It is said that a teacher was amazed when he heard his class humming the tune during a civics test. At first he couldn't figure out what was going on. :lol:

Tar Melian.....both! At home I mostly sew home decor items like duvets, drapes, pillows, shower curtains for myself. Hardly every clothes. That is what I mostly sew at work. So I really don't want to do it when I get off.

Dumplings.....I like 'em thick and chewey or thin and raw. (wow, look at all of those conjunctions!! )
Old 03-16-2001, 03:29 PM   #11
Tar Melian

Conjunction Junction?

Gil, I had to ask around here, before I had a clue what you're talking about! Is this the name of a movie OR show, since you did put it in italics?

OR are you pointing out grammatical errors? AND we just want an explanation, BUT you have to be more clear.

BUT I have heard of Malfunction Junction, AND it's where you get off of I65 to go east on 20 to Atlanta, at the north end of Birmingham!
Old 03-16-2001, 05:24 PM   #12
Gilthalion

Re: Conjunction Junction?

We used to have a "Malfunction Junction" here in Mobile, where I-65 crossed the intersection of Pleasant Valley and Cottage Hill and the I-65 service roads.

The italicized quote, (which Anduin got!) was from one of those School House rock cartoons.

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses and making them run right!
Old 03-16-2001, 05:29 PM   #13
RKittle

not this BUT that!
Old 03-16-2001, 05:45 PM   #14
X Rogue

Yup. Suffice it to say this was not the first time my civics teacher had heard this being hummed in class. I asked around and so had a couple of the English teachers! Not suprising, really, since I have heard of case studies where people learn things better when they are set to music. Look at Sesame Street's success over the years, nevermind the fact that I still hum the alphabet song when I am putting books back on the shelves in my house.

As to dumplings, if you like you could buy he frozen pie crusts at the store. Just roll out the pie crust till you can nearly see thru it (sprinkle flour over the surface you're rolling on first) and drop 'em in the soup flat and one at a time. should be fine. Make sure you stir in some of the flour too, before the soup gets to boiling or it will be lumpy.

Hey, does anyone here like gumbo or jambalaya?
Old 03-16-2001, 07:09 PM   #15
Tar Melian

Yum...

I love gumbo! We used to spend a week every summer at Perdido Bay with all my mom's sisters, their husbands, and kids. We'd always go shrimping, and then my aunt would make a huge pot of gumbo, with crabs in it, too. It was great, but I could never do the sucking-the-crab-shell thing! I've made shrimp jambayla that was good, too; however, I'm not much for super spicey, like most people who like Cajun.

My kids have learned to remember the 50 states by singing a song they learned in school. They sing it all the time!
Old 03-16-2001, 07:24 PM   #16
RKittle

Re: Yum...

To this day I can only recite the preamble to the Constitution by singing it to the tune of the Schoolhouse Rock song....

Recently I was at a leadership seminar that played the entire Schoolhouse Rock collection as part of its curriculum. Everyone was about 30 or older and everyone knew all the words to all the songs. It was quite hilarious but also quite revealing of how influential song and TV can be if delivered in the right (or wrong) way.
Old 03-16-2001, 09:14 PM   #17
Gilthalion

At my sister-in-law's this past Sunday after church, I was called upon to spike up the gumbo. She had bought a tub of Azalea City Gumbo. It's got a good rue, but not much seafood. So on the way, I picked up a pound of frozen crab claw meat and dumped that in with liberal sprinklings of Molly McButter...

Fantastic, quick, and deeeeeelicious!
Old 03-17-2001, 05:04 PM   #18
X Rogue

Seafood gumbo is MUCH better with crabs in it, but I don't like it with oysters. I'd rather fry those and serve them on the side. My gumbo recipe is a family one (had a Cajun grandma) and only has 1 1/2 tsp of pepper in it. It's not really that hot (even according to my Iowa raised hubby Gambit). The thing is, that's 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp white pepper and 1/2 tsp cayenne. See, each kind of pepper activates different tastebuds on your tongue, so this way you get the front, the middle and the back of your throat going at the same time. That's why people get the reaction they do to Cajun food. Or it could be the Tabasco bottle in residence on the table.

What other kinds of food are popular amongst Entmooters? Besides poutin of course.
Old 03-18-2001, 11:17 PM   #19
biriwilg

I dunno about anyone else, but my favorite foods are ice cream and pickles. (NOT together!) Mmm-mmm good!
Old 03-19-2001, 12:19 AM   #20
Tar Melian

I'm back...

from my s****booking weekend! It was fun, but we didn't get as far as we thought we would. However, the worse thing is, I've drunk so much coffee that I'll be up all nite tonite anyway!

One of my most favorite foods is cornbread - with a hot bowl of chili, and shredded cheese on top! Biri, since I know you're the youngest here, I won't worry about you! (Pregnant women sometimes crave ice cream and pickles!) Actually, ice cream is one of my other favorite foods, too. I like to make homeade ice cream in the summer time...yum!