Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Report: Al-Qaida has obtained tactical nuclear explosives...

Well this is rather disconcerting! One of my friends just sent me this link. I just hope it's not true...

Quote:
From here: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/392006.html

Last Update: 09/02/2004 05:06

Report: Al-Qaida has obtained tactical nuclear explosives

By Yoav Stern, Haaretz Correspondent, and Haaretz Service

Al-Qaida have possessed tactical nuclear weapons for about six years, the London-based Al-Hayat newspaper reported Sunday.

The Arabic daily reported that sources close to Al-Qaida said Osama bin Laden's group bought the nuclear weapons from Ukrainian scientists who were visiting Kandahar, Afghanistan, in 1998.

The report has not been confirmed.

However, the sources said Al-Qaida doesn't intend to use the weapons against American forces in Muslim countries, "due to the serious damage" it could cause. But that decision is subject to change, the sources said, if Al-Qaida "is dealt a serious blow that won't leave it any room to maneuver."

The possibility of detonating the nuclear devices on American soil was also raised in the report, although no details were given.

The sources were quoted as saying that Al-Qaida actvists have hidden the weapons - each of which is about the size of a suitcase - in "a safe place."

Kandahar was the stronghold of the Taliban, which kept Afghanistan under tight religious restrictions until the United States attacked it in retaliation for the September 2001 attacks.

In the years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, serious concern arose in the West over the possibility that nuclear technology and weapons could spread to other groups, in part due to the difficult economic situation in the former communist lands. Several reports of the nuclear arsenal in the former Soviet Union in the 1990s indicated that a few dozen nuclear explosive devices had disappeared. One of the theories was that the devices disappeared in Ukraine, which claims that it handed over all its nuclear weapons to Russia.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:07 AM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

There's kind of no point worrying about stuff like that. (I don't blame you for being worried, I'm just trying to cheer you up.)

We might as well go on living our lives, the government will most likely deal with it, or perhaps they don't have the nukes. If they do have them, the biggest blow you can deal terrorists is to not be afraid.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:09 AM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
There's kind of no point worrying about stuff like that. (I don't blame you for being worried, I'm just trying to cheer you up.)

We might as well go on living our lives, the government will most likely deal with it, or perhaps they don't have the nukes. If they do have them, the biggest blow you can deal terrorists is to not be afraid.
I'm not worried about it, I just think it would be horrible if they did have these nukes. I am the antithesis of a worrier, it is still disconcerting though one way or the other...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:13 AM   #4
Drgnslyer
Elven Warrior

Even if the message's facts are true, I won't personally worry about it for two reasons...

The governments of the world have untold resources available to them, and the fact that theyr'e releasing this information now means that it has likely already been dealt with.

Second, even if it isn't dealt with, as an individual there isn't a whole heck of alot I can do about it, and worrying about it will only serve to further the terrorist cause, make my own life more unfomfortable, and add even more stress into my daily routine, whuch as i can imagine for most, doesn't need the added levels of stress.

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims.

The Utopian Oldschool Champ.
http://games.swirve.com/utopia
www.Orderofavalon.com
Drgnslyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Why havent I heard anything about this in ANY news medium yet? I tried searching the web and got nothing. Seems to me it would be a pretty massive story. And why is it that they spell the word Al Qaida? And not Al Qaeda

Edit: Woops one just appeared in the Seattle Times just now. Any others yet?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 02-09-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:03 PM   #6
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Why havent I heard anything about this in ANY news medium yet? I tried searching the web and got nothing. Seems to me it would be a pretty massive story. And why is it that they spell the word Al Qaida? And not Al Qaeda

If they had one for six years, they would have used it before 9/11 when security was much laxer- why try to hijack a plane when you can stick a nuke in a shipping container- sounds like disinformation to me.

Arabic writing doesn't have vowels, so when it's transliterated people use different spelling based on their own choice of letters to represent them.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Arabic writing doesn't have vowels, so when it's transliterated people use different spelling based on their own choice of letters to represent them.
Aye - 'Stealth Vowels'!!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Report: Al-Qaida has obtained tactical nuclear explosives

If these complete morons have this capabilitiy then they could see to it that the whole world would lay itself waste in one glorious nuclear war, couldn't they?

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 02-10-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #9
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Yes. It is said as 'ca-ee-da' and not 'ca-e-da'. It's a problem in English, it usually ruins names in other languages.

Quote:
If they had one for six years, they would have used it before 9/11 when security was much laxer- why try to hijack a plane when you can stick a nuke in a shipping container- sounds like disinformation to me.
Yes, it is a bit strange. It doesn't sound serious to me... there are no proves, just a Saudian newspaper.

Did you notice the quote is taken from an Israelian newspaper? *proud*
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote