Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

The Red Book of Bree

OOC: I’m finally starting it!! If anyone wants to join, please go to my discussion thread, which is called Back to Middle Earth Discussion thread. I changed the name since creating that thread. By the way, sirigorn is hanging over my shoulder, and I did not make up her actions, we are working together.
Note from siri: Hi!!!! before you get all scared and all, be warned- I am NOT like Alyna aka Movie Fan!!!!
Actually, I’m not as anti-movie fans as my character, Keita, either.

IC: We arrived at the inn. It was very old, and seemed that it could have been there for ages. I looked at the room, and immediately noticed one, a small room on the first floor, with round windows and everything. I was reminded of the hobbit room in the Prancing Pony. I looked at my best friend, Jean, and we immediately put our things on the two empty beds. We saw a huge poster of Orlando Bloom over one of the other beds, and I rolled my eyes. “Movie Fan” I muttered.
We turned to leave for dinner, but I tripped as I headed to the door. I looked down and saw a loose floorboard. I kicked at it in anger, and it came even looser. Under it I saw something red. I called to Jean to wait, and lifted the floorboard. Under it was a book. It was very old and tattered. The cover seemed to have once been leather, but it was extremely dry and cracked. There were red patches on it, and it was probably once painted red. I carefully took it out, and took it to my bed. I was about to open it, when my mom knocked at the door, and told us that it was almost time for dinner.
The dinner was wonderful, and it we heard conversations about our obsession—the Lord of the Rings—all around us, but could think of nothing but what we had just discovered. After dessert, we raced back to the room, where we saw the Movie Fan sitting on her bed staring at the poster. I didn’t want to be around her, but saw no other choice, so I lay down on the floor with the book and Jean lay down next to me, and I opened it, carefully so the old, brittle pages would not crumble. I opened my mouth to read the first page, when...
“Hi! My name is Alyna! What’s yours?”
It was the movie fan, so I pointedly ignored her, and read the book loudly, hoping that she would go back and stare at her poster, stupid as it was.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

“Hello? Are you deaf or something? Cuz it is ok if you are. Of course, you wouldn’t hear me if you were deaf unless you could lip read except you still wouldn’t hear me, you would see my mouth moving and anyway you would have to be looking at me to lip read my lips and you’re not. You’re staring at that book. That’s a really old book. I can tell cuz its all yellow and falling apart. You had better not break it, it could be valuable. I really don’t know why I’m talking to you since you’re obviously deaf cuz you’re not even acknowledging me being here. I mean, if you’re not deaf of course, its really rude for someone to be talking to you and you’re ignoring them like you are to me. So anyway I think you’re not deaf. I’ve been talking a long time and you haven’t turned a page yet, so you’re obviously listening to me. Unless it’s really hard to read and your trying to read it. Is it really hard to read? Let me—
“No, we are not deaf, and No it’s not hard to read and No, we do not want to talk to you”
“Well that’s not very nice. I’m trying to be nice here and be your friend but Noooooo!! Nobody wants to talk to Alyna!! Nope! All I’m trying to do is make a few friends I can keep in touch with cuz I don’t know anybody here and I want to have some memories of this thing. So can you please at least tell me your names?”
*long pause*
“Ok I guess not. I see how its gonna be. Now I’ll go talk to my poster of orli cuz he’s the only one here who listens to me.”
The rude girl muttered to her friend, “Finally!”
“Hey, I heard that!”
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I started reading the story again, and was amazed how similar it was to the Lord of the Rings, but it did not feel like plagiarism, but rather the real thing. We got very interested, and continued to read for a long time, well into the night. While we read, the winds of time howled and roared around us, but we didn’t notice, and just kept reading. Then, well past midnight, we got to a part that even I, the obsessive book fan who read everything ever written by Tolkien, did not recognize. It was in a different handwriting than any other part of the book was written in, and told of troubles in the Shire.
“In 1451, the Ruffians came back to the Shire, led by Bill Ferny and his sons. This time they did not even try to do anything with the Shire, just destroyed it. For three years they burned, dug up, and demolished houses and forests, and forced hobbits to help them. The Shire will never be saved now, but I, Goldilocks Gamgee, daughter of Samwise, will save our history, or at least the part of it that was recorded here."
That was all there was. We finally went to bed, for what was left of the night.

OOC: Okay, I'm done with the intro, the next person who writes can say what happens when we discover that we're in ME.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."

Last edited by ethuiliel : 02-02-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

ooc: here I am.

ic: I laid on my bed staring at the old wooden ceiling and listening to some of the other Lord of the rings fans argue in the next room about balrogs and if they had wings. I mused to myself remembering that chapter and muttered softly to myself that they, in fact, had wings. But I did not feel like arguing about this to those in the room next door. After awhile all fell silent as the reign of darkness came and all light fell except for a small lit candle in the hallway just in case we needed to use the little hobbits room.

I gazed at the thick shadows on the wall and at my friend on the bed next to me who seemed to be engaged in reading under the covers by flashlight. I wondered if it was that old red book she was carrying around earlier.

'probably is" I muttered softly.
As she closed the booka strong gust of wind hit the side of the hotel and caused a few wind chimes, singing earlier in the day, to tumble to the ground and cease all song of joy. The shutters banged loudly on the window frame and started to give off the impression of a large orc trying to break in. Soon, even the small candle flickered out and left a deep pool of darkness. The moon had been covered in thick black clouds and shined no light on the small hobbit like room.
Yet, through all of this, I soon found myself drifting off into a deep slumber. I dreamet about the night that Frodo and Sam first met aragorn and the peril of Merry and the encounter with the Nazgul.

sorry no time to edit. bye.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

meanwhile...
I was on my laptop, surfing the web to see if I could find any way to cantact my Orli. I finally gave up and strarted drawing. I'm a very good artist, if I may say so myself. I'm making a collection of scenes from the movie. I started drawing a pic of the shire. Suddenly, the wind boomed though the window where I opened it a bit- I have to sleep with some fresh air around me. The wind threw all my papers onto the floor next to my bed. I looked up, startled, as the window was barely open. I could see no way that it could allow so much wind inside.
I collected all my stuff from the floor and sat down cross-legged on my bed and continued drawing. Soon I was immersed in my drawing and was oblivious to all...
-Two Towers extended DVD

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
Old 02-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I went to bed, then decided to reread the parts about Faramir. Then, I flipped to the back of the book to figure out what the addition meant. I studied it for a while, then decided to wait 'till morning. I closed it, and put it on the floor by my bed, but at that moment, I noticed the wind really pick up. It was very late though, and I fell asleep quickly.
I woke up, and the sun shone in through the windows. I got up, and walked to the nearest window, which was slightly ajar. I looked out, and suddenly noticed that something was different...very different. The streets were muddy, and the houses were all in the same style as the inn. It looked like...Bree, or at least what I imagined Bree to be like. "Jean" I called, "Jean, come look. We're in Bree!!"

Old 02-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I was dreaming...It was a good dream. i was in Gondor. I heard someone calling, but I couldn't make out what was being said. i turned. I could hear it now. "Jean, come look!! We're in Bree" the voice said. Jean? i didn't think that was a really Gondorian name. And this was Gondor, not Bree
I woke up with a start. The rude girl was yelling at her friend. Bree?? Yeah, right. I groaned and got out of bed.
"You know, some people are trying to sleep. You don't have to yell. And how could we be in Bree? We're in England!!"

She rolled her eyes. By now her friend was by the window also. She looked at me and said "no, she's right. We're not in England. I think we are in Bree."
I said "Yeah...I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto. Is that it?" I walked over to the window. It did look like Bree. "Okay. This is just freaky. Did someone build up the movie set while we were alseep?"
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 02-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #8
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

The winds had died down, but they were still strong as they howled down the muddy streets. Few were out in the town, as it was still fairly early, but those who were opening their shops and selling things were setting up their carts.
A figure wandered past the window, as a gust of wind blew the hood back from her cloak, revealing a dark haired girl. She turned to enter the building. Pulling out a piece of parchment rolled up from the folds of her cloak, which she passed on to the person at the main desk, before sitting by a window waiting for someone.

ooc: talk about having no inspiration. will edit later.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 02-07-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

ic: I woke up with a start.
'Wha..Wha..Waht is it Keita?"
I asked half asleep. Thewind kept me awke part of the night and I had finally fallen asleep at one oclock in the morning.
'Were in Bree!" She cried out with excitment.
Er....wouldn't Bree be a fictional place?" I asked moving towards the window and looking past the movie fans head She too had been awakend by my friends excited calls.
But when i looked out the now polished wooden window my jaw immediatly dropped. There were Hobbits in the cobblestone street. Ponies were dragging half full carts of vegetables and fruits. Horses were walking beside strangely dressed men and women.
Some were carrying shiefed swords which looked as though they were used more often then guessed.
I looked over at the two girls next to me who both looked as excited, if not more, then when we came to the inn.

All three of us rushed into our day clothing, not matching those of the poeple in the streets of course, and dashed towards the rooms of where our fellow fans stayed in.

We knocked on the door twice and stood back for the answer. But the only person who came was a grogging looking man wearing a robe and looking as though he had a hangover from the night before. Definatly not who was in the room last night. I thought to myself getting ready to dash a way before he scolded us.

All three of us ran as he shouted after us that we were evil little horse kissers. The he feinted...

We ran downstairs and gasped as we found the once empty bar room to be filled with chatting mena dn women serving fresh brow(sp) And at the table in the ar corner sat a strange looking raven haired person whome only glanced at us before taking a sip of his or her drink.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #10
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I was amazed when I went downstairs with the two other girls who were in my room. "Oh. My. God."
I saw a dark-haired person sitting in the corner. Somehow I felt uneasy, as though he or she (I couldn't tell which) was watching us.
I walked up to the counter and asked for a pint. I was totally amazed when I got one. I walked back to the other girls and took a sip of the ale. Suprised, I spit it back out. "This tastes horrible!!! Apparently ale is like beer- it grows on you. Cuz it's really gross!!"
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 02-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #11
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I frowned at them as I saw the girl spitting the ale out. The bar-keep glanced at them sourly, as the girl rejected his fine brew.
I slid off the seat that I was sitting in, and wandered slowly near them. What sort of people were these? They were dressed like no-body had ever seen. Afraid of them creating too much attention and getting into trouble, I shouted to the bar-keep for a private room, and ushered them into. Making sure that nobody glanced at us suspisiously.
I wandered to the newly lit fire and turned to look at them in silence.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 02-08-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

The freakyish girl who had been sitting in the corner but pulled us into the room just stared at us. after we'd been staring at each other for a few minutes I finally got impatient and asked "Yes? What do you want with us?" I tryed to drink a bit more of the ale and actually managed to swallow this time, but I made a face.
"Why don't you like Butterbur's ale? It's the finest brew around." the girl asked me.
"Butterbur? As in Barliman Butterbur?"
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 02-08-2004, 12:19 PM   #13
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I laughed "there is no other in all of middle-earth"
She just continued to stare. Finally she broke her gaze and took a seat on the window legde.
"In all of my travels I have never seen anyone like you. Where do you hail from? What strange country?"
I stared at them again suspisiously. "What trouble do you bring here?"
Old 02-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #14
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

"Middle-Earth? You're kidding, right?"
"I don't think I quite understand."
"You're saying this is Middle-Earth?"
"What else would it be? Where do you come from?"
"Not from Middle-Earth. If this is really middle-earth, you wouldn't have heard of it."
"Try me."
"Britain, England, Great Britain, the United Kindom." She stared at me blankly. "See? I told you you wouldn't have heard of it."

ooc: I made you not understand cuz I don't think they say "you're kidding" in ME.
-Two Towers extended DVD

Last edited by sirigorn : 02-08-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #15
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I stared at them confused.
"The United Kingdom?"
They nodded.
"There is no such place."
There was a knock at the door as Barliman entered. "Everything as you wish?"
"Yes, thank you Barliman."
He went to leave but I stopped him.
"Could you please bring up a flaggon(?) of your finest ale. And be sure not to interupt us again"
He nodded and glanced at the strange group in the corner before leaving the room.
I turned back to them, "Sit".

ooc: no prob-lemo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 02-08-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #16
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Surprised, I suddenly plopped onto the chair, but missed it and landed onto the hard floor. Embarrased and slightly sore, I climbed up to the chair, while the Movie-fan burst out laughing.
"Are we really in Middle-earth?" I asked, exitedly.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:08 PM   #17
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I frowned.
"Where else would you be? You are no elves so you cannot be in Valinor, and there is no place else. Or none that is hospitable to live in."
Old 02-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #18
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

"We...uhhh...kinda come from another world. Another time?? What is it???"
"DUH!!! It's time!!!! Tolkien said that Middle-Earth was supposed to be a history of Earth. It's the same world"
"yeah, okay. Whatever you say. But Middle-Earth is not anything like the Earth we know, or anyway the Earth was before. And don't you think there would be other accounts. I mean, they could write when there were swords, etc."
"There are other accounts. Remember the book we found?"
"One other account. One measley other account."
Throughout this conversation the other girl stared at us as if we were completely crazy.

ooc: sorry I'm not giving Jean any lines, Sici. But I need to know if your nice or mean to me to be able to say much.
-Two Towers extended DVD

Last edited by sirigorn : 02-08-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #19
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

They were interupted by Barliman knocking at the door. I opened the door and he placed down a tray onto the table, a young hobbit followed him into the room with a pile of material. I smiled. "Thank you, Barliman."
He left and I picked up the pile of clothes. "You should get changed into these. You attract too much suspision... and since you don't seem to be able to tell me where you come from, you'll get into alot of trouble if anyone else asks you."
She passed the clothes around and frowned thoughtfully.
"What book is it that you talk of?"
Old 02-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #20
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

"Yeah, thanks" I said "Jeans, a t-shirt, and a jacket aren't exactly normal here." She looked confused but let it slide.
"So what is the book?"
The rude girl answered her. "It's this book we found. We were at this convention thing and we were staying in a inn like this one and we found the book under the floorboard. We read it and went to sleep and when we woke up, we were here."
She frowned. "Strange"
I asked her "By the way, who are you?"

ooc: I'm calling Keita (ethuiliel) the rude girl becuase she was really rude at the beginning.
-Two Towers extended DVD