Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

2001 - eh?

I don't think there's a thread for this, disabuse me if necessary.

I've just finished watching 2001 A Space Odyssey all the way through for the first time, which was thankfully on tape so I could zip through the beautifully-photographed but very long bits before my attention span popped. However, I got to the bit where they reach Jupiter, yer man gets into the pod and goes out, and after that (which is some 20-30min) it made no sense at all. What in the name of almighty Bob is that all about? And what's the slab? Am I being unspeakably dim or something?
Old 02-01-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

First there is the significance of the monolith: it first appears when humans first use tools, and then again when humans land on the moon and send out it's first signals to space. And lastly when Dave arrives at Jupiter... which can only implicate that Jupiter is important to human advancement.

Next there is a journey - whether it is actual, or metaphorical is questionable. It could either mean that Dave has made contact (which I believe is more in keeping with the books) and that he makes an actual journey to some kind of alien world. OR (and this is what I believe) the journey that Dave undergoes is a kind of metaphorical journey from man to starchild - detailing humankind's journey from mere earth-based hominid to a space faring race. What is the significance of the star child? I personally believe this translates to the fact that Humankind are just 'babies' when it comes to interstellar space travel.

Of course: the star child could also be representative of humankind's journey into eternity - beyond the infinite so to speak... the final evolution into a cosmic being.

Whether Dave did this by himself - or through alien intervention - is hotly contested. Basically it comes down to whatever theory you buy into.

This is the simplest explanation - and by no means is it complete. You can find all sorts of theories out there by googling. Basically, it is a VERY complicated movie, and you can analyse it 'til you're blue in the face, and still not come to any coherent theory. I'm told that you can read a lot into the movie just by analysing the music!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 02-01-2004 at 09:23 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:25 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh, and this is my favourite movie ever! You fast-forwarded through the pretty bits? Heathen!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:20 AM   #4
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

yeah! all that great music by both strauss'!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 12:27 AM   #5
gdl96
the greg the admin

I haven't seen it in a few years, but I recall loving it and making a thread asking similar questions.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'd also suggest the reading the book if you enjoyed it... it spells things out a little more
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I can see why johnnyrod might have fast-forwarded.

This is a movie that definitely needs big-screen treatment.
On the box, the "pretty bits" lose so much.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Draken
Elf Lord

Long time since I read the book, but I seem to recall it was much less cryptic than the film - the Jovian monolith accelerated Dave into mankind's next evolutionary stage, just as the prehistoric monoliths had done. But like I say it was a long time ago.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:06 PM   #9
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

I think I'd better pick up the book for it to make some sort of sense, but thanks for your replies. I had picked up on the bit about the apes using tools as an important bit of anthropology, but didn't really link it to the bit later on, which at first sight is a trippy end not unexpected for a film of the era.

Don't bust my ass Sheeana, I struggled to maintain my miserable attention span to watch all of the movie, I've given up through boredom a few times already. Looks nice and all, and I'm sure on a massive screen it's very impressive, but a bit over-long for me.

Is there a film of 2010?