Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
gdl96
the greg the admin

Official 2004 Super Bowl Thread

Discuss the game, comercials, and parties here.

I'm going to a friends house to gamble tonight. We're having a traditional Super Bowl pool and we're also playing some poker (texas holdem). And I'm bringing dip.

Go Panthers!
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Stupid American games lol. Ill never understand them. Someone want to fill me in?

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

From Fox sports website.....

INSIDE DISH: Silence wasn't golden
Print story AIM story Email story
Dan Pompei /
Posted: 5 days ago

The competition committee is expected to take a look at officials becoming flag-shy in the postseason. Judging by the defensive game plans of New England's Bill Belichick and Carolina's John Fox in the AFC and NFC championship games, coaches obviously are anticipating officials allowing more physical play in the playoffs. After the fact, the league office quietly admitted that Walt Coleman's crew missed six calls against the Patriots in the AFC championship game, including a defensive holding on third down with 1:51 remaining in the game, and a pass interference on the subsequent fourth down. The Patriots led 21-14 at the time. The victim on both non-calls was Colts TE Marcus Pollard. Officials also admit holding by Patriots G Joe Andruzzi on Colts DE Robert Mathis was missed on a fourth-and-9 that the Patriots converted in the second quarter. The Patriots ended the drive with a field goal for a 13-0 lead. . . .

What is it with professional sports not wanting teams from Indiana to win championships? We are always getting screwed. Blea!
Old 02-01-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Lol, its just started on Channel 5 in the UK. The built-up sweaty comentators are amusing lol. Im gona watch it and see what happens. Whats with the stupid: Superbowl XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX thingy? Why not just call it 38 or whatever it is lol.

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

Old 02-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
Stupid American games lol. Ill never understand them. Someone want to fill me in?
I predict New England over Carolina 23-10

National Football League (NFL)

Basically, Football is similar to Rugby and/or Australian Rules Football.

I do not think that Football is any St*p*d*r than soccer (football to the rest of the world), cricket, baseball or many other team sports played around the world.

If you think that people put too much emphasis on sports, I agree. This does not mean that sports (in and of themselves) are dumb.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 02-01-2004 at 07:29 PM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #6
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Lol, its just started on Channel 5 in the UK. The built-up sweaty comentators are amusing lol. Im gona watch it and see what happens. Whats with the stupid: Superbowl XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX thingy? Why not just call it 38 or whatever it is lol.
It is traditional to use Roman numerals when counting the Superbowl. I do not know why, but I think it is cool to see Roman numerals being used.

38 = XXXVIII

X=10
V=5
I=1
============================
4=IV
9=IX

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 02-01-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Millane
The Dude

Australian football is way better than american football, in our game the players are skilled in more than one area, eg a defensive player can play offensive aswell. plus the fights are ten times better
Old 02-01-2004, 07:55 PM   #8
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Yeh yeh i know bout the numerals lol. I just dont understand why. Why is it tradition?

Old 02-01-2004, 10:59 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Sorry to but in Twista, but I want to ask anyone who watched the halftime show:
Apparently, Justin Timberlake accidentally ripped off part of Janet Jackson's top when they were dancing! Then, instead of finishing the song, fireworks etc., they cut immediately to about 10 minutes of commercial breaks. So what was the deal there?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:35 PM   #10
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

New England just won 32-29 with a field goal at 4 seconds left. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, take that carolina fans

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:39 PM   #11
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Yeh yeh i know bout the numerals lol. I just dont understand why. Why is it tradition?
I do not know.

I was wrong in my final score prediction, but at least I was correct in the final result. (I had a 50-50 shot. )

Old 02-02-2004, 12:12 AM   #12
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Apparently, Justin Timberlake accidentally ripped off part of Janet Jackson's top when they were dancing! Then, instead of finishing the song, fireworks etc., they cut immediately to about 10 minutes of commercial breaks. So what was the deal there?
Superbowl 2004 halftime show
Quote:
Statement regarding the Super Bowl halftime show

Statement by NFL Executive Vice President Joe Browne regarding the Super Bowl halftime show:

"We were extremely disappointed by elements of the MTV-produced Halftime show. They were totally inconsistent with assurances our office was given about the show. It's unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime."
I did not see the show, but I guess MTV went "too far" and "showed too much"

Old 02-02-2004, 12:18 AM   #13
gdl96
the greg the admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Hahahaha. One of my friends saw this and the rest of us didnt so we all thought he was crazy or something.

Anyway, I won the pool at halftime and at the end, and I dominated in poker. $70 profit!
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:15 AM   #14
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Why are they stupid - because they're American? I don't particularly care about football and I didn't watch the Super Bowl, but that's because I just don't care about them. As for your comments, some people talk about arrogant Americans, seems like another example of superior atttiude of europe.

Sorry if you are just fooling around - it just seems like this is the attitude toward anything American - that it's inferior.

As for the super bowl halftime thing. It didn't seem like Janet Jackson was too happy with it...

Quote:
CBS apologizes for halftime breast-baring
Updated: Monday February 2, 2004 12:22AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- CBS apologized on Sunday for an unexpectedly R-rated end to its Super Bowl halftime show, when singer Justin Timberlake tore off part of Janet Jackson's top, exposing her breast.

"CBS deeply regrets the incident," spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade said after the network received several calls about the show.

The two singers were performing a flirtatious duet to end the halftime show, and at the song's finish, Timberlake reached across Jackson's leather gladiator outfit and pulled off the covering to her right breast.

The network quickly cut away from the shot, and did not mention the incident on the air.

Timberlake said he did not intend to expose Jackson's breast.

"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."

Wade said CBS officials attended rehearsals of the halftime show all week, "and there was no indication any such thing would happen. The moment did not conform to CBS' broadcast standards and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended."

The Super Bowl halftime show, which also featured P. Diddy, Nelly and Kid Rock, was produced by MTV, CBS' corporate cousin in Viacom.

"We were extremely disappointed by elements of the MTV-produced halftime show," Joe Browne, NFL executive vice president, said. "They were totally inconsistent with assurances our office was given about the content of the show.

"It's unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime."

MTV issued a contrite statement in which it also apologized, saying the incident was "unrehearsed, unplanned, completely unintentional and was inconsistent with assurances we had about the content of the performance."

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-02-2004 at 04:17 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:58 AM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thanks JD! This is the best part:
Quote:
"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."
Wardrobe malfunction!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 02-02-2004, 10:31 AM   #16
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

YEAH PATS!!

as far as the breast thing goes... considering tv today it seemed kind of minor... obviously a pr move, but nothing new
Old 02-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #17
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Use of Roman Numerals

Quote:
Recently heard a very good explanation about the use of Roman Numerals to identify the Superbowls:

The football season is played through the fall... in this case, fall of 2003. However, the playoffs and championship are in the January (into February a couple times now) of the next year - 2004. Because of that, it makes good sense to use a different system to designate Superbowls than just calling it by the year.

For instance, if you talk about the 1986 Superbowl, do you mean the one that was actually played in 1986 - or the one that followed the 1986 season? Here in Chicago, our Bears had one truly great season in living memory... the 1985 season. So the '85 Bears won the '86 Superbowl. It's easier to refer to that as 'Superbowl XX' rather than to talk about the '86 Bears... who were still a strong team, but got bounced the first game of the playoffs.

Plus, maybe the NFL thinks it gives the game a 'classy' feel - something that goes against the crotch-grabbing and breast-bearing we see on the halftime shows.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:21 AM   #18
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Aww thats annoying. I turned off just before half time to go to bed .

Old 02-02-2004, 03:02 PM   #19
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

And, somehow, by an amazing coincidence, when this totally unexpected event occurred, she just happened to be wearing a pastie.

(Note for practitioners of Britspeak: this does not mean she was wearing a meat pie on her breast

"PLURAL NOUN: A pair of adhesive patches used to conceal a woman's nipples and worn principally by exotic dancers or striptease performers." )

Especially after MTV promised that there would be some "shocking things" happening- and she released a new single from her album this very day.

Press Release:
"Hot Off an Incredible Superbowl Performance New Janet Jackson Song 'Just a Little While' Spreads Like Wildfire
Sunday February 1, 9:01 pm ET
Overwhelming Worldwide Demand Prompts Virgin to Immediate Digital Delivery Of Song to Radio Stations Throughout the World
Hotly Anticipated New Album, DAMITA JO, Will Be Released March 30th "

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040201/nysu030_1.html

Meanwhile, back on the field... so this was supposed to be the tight, down in the trenches, defensive game of all time? Glad to see it didn't happen.

One speculation- if it had gone into OT, and either team had won the toss and scored on the first possession, maybe the outcry would have been enough to get rid of that insane Sudden Death rule (BrE: Golden Goal). It belongs in hockey, but in football the game can be decided on a coin toss.

Each team should be allowed at least one possession, with Sudden Death after that

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:30 PM   #20
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Unless MTV (the producers of the halftime show) are even more stupid than I imagine, they would not have staged Jackson's pastie-fest on purpose. The Superbowl organizers said something to the effect of MTV will never produce another half-time show for them, and that they're extremely disappointed. That's an incredibly huge opportunity to lose, the Superbowl is probably the largest sporting event in the USA.
Quote: