Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Allusions

Did anyone else catch the many allusions in the movie? i noticed direct references to Empire Strikes Back and Aliens. Even Monty Pythons Holy Grail. Its known that Jackson is a fan of all those movies so Im pretty sure I wasnt just seeing things. And Ive heard other people saw allusions to other movies as well. Anyone else notice this at all?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

What do you been when you say allusions? Im sure what you been but Batman Forever was just on and the scene where Sam is in Cirith Ungol and he says 'that on is for the shire, that one is for frodo etc' is done in Batman with Robin and Joker.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well thats one I hadnt thought of. I guess the most obvious allusion was to the scene in Empire Strikes Back with the emperial walkers attacking the rebel base and luke flying in and out of their legs and wrapping the wire around their legs and climbing underneath it to disable the walker and make it come crashing down. You can see almost the exact same thing when legolas is doing his little spiderman routine on the oliphants.

another one was Aragorns speech at the Black Gate and William Wallaces speech in Braveheart. Although the Braveheart speech is hard to top.

And yet another was sams last minute rescue of frodo from Shelob ("Get away from him you MONSTER!") and Ripley rescuing the little kid from the Queen Alien in Aliens ("Get away from her you BITCH!"). Almost down to the same exact voice tone.

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 01-18-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:18 AM   #4
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Jackson copies! Heh heh.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:21 AM   #5
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Amateurs imitate, professionals steal.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

The point is I think these were done purposefully. Because hes a fan. And he had the medium to do it in. I dont think its just copying or theft.

Old 01-19-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Durin1
Elven Warrior

PJ must also have been a fan of The Goonies because his Orc general was an exact replica of that "freak" (can't remember the name) with the one eye below another. Pretty pathetic really.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #8
thranduil
Elven Warrior

I know exactly who your talking about! Maybe a suggestion from Sean
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Whoes Sean?

lol just trying out the colour at the same time

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

Old 01-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #10
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
Whoes Sean?

lol just trying out the colour at the same time
My memory is terrible right now but I thought Sean Austin played a part in the goonies.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #11
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Ahh ur correct mate:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089218/

Old 01-19-2004, 09:54 PM   #12
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The scene in TTT where Saruman is making the fire of orthanc and he grabs wormtongue's hand that is holding the candle is right from Army of Darkness.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I just heard another one today: Denethor bears a striking resemblance to Ozzy Osbourne. And kind of acts like him too.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:09 AM   #14
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
What do you been when you say allusions? Im sure what you been but Batman Forever was just on and the scene where Sam is in Cirith Ungol and he says 'that on is for the shire, that one is for frodo etc' is done in Batman with Robin and Joker.
I don't think that this is an allusion. They do that in many movies. If anything, Batman took it from something else.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:17 AM   #15
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I believe I noted the resemblance between the head orc and Sloth from Goonies in my original review of RotK.

Now that you mention it Cirdan, that is right out of Army of Darkness. I love that movie.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:57 AM   #16
Eärloth
Elven Warrior

Sam's shouting "For the Shire" etc., although not in that precise moment of the book, was used in FotR, so that being an allusion to another movie or not is virtually impossible to depict unless PJ was to state it himself.

Never seen the Goonies, don't care if there were allusions

I just thought Elrond saying to Aragorn "Become who you were born to be" was kind of pretentious…its like all that One man…one way home bull they're using for Cold Mountain or In the heart of one man to advertise The Last Samurai: once upon a time, it might've been original, but we've ticked off about twelve hundred 'one man's and its really getting old

Btw, I thought the weird orc was cool – did any one else detect that it was Andy Serkis's voice they were using or is that just me?

Telperinai pennar niei rossenen,
iéni únótimai be m?*ri Aiaro!
Man erca óre nio ettuccuba?
S?* mapuba Ulmo ciria ma
be findi-falla; Baradis mentuba
i Elestel i en tulia me
Annúne pella, nimpei srestanai
or helle cúna, helle rácina.
Nan merin minia lóte elanar
an sire cenin Ennor tellabe.
Namárie! Autame Balinórena,
Ennórelo autai! Namárie!
Eärloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:53 AM   #17
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärloth
Btw, I thought the weird orc was cool – did any one else detect that it was Andy Serkis's voice they were using or is that just me?
Cool? It was pretty poor IMO. With regards to Andy Serkis - couldn't care less The voice of Gollum was pretty bad in my opinion too.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #18
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärloth
Actually I think the ugly orc dude also played the Witch King. I'm pretty sure they were the same person playing those roles...

According to www.imdb.com it lists this:

Lawrence Makoare .... Witch King/Gothmog
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:59 PM   #19
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Gothmog? Isn't that the name of the lord of the Balrogs? Wasn't he killed by Glorfindel in the Second age or something?

If Lawrence Makoare did play the popcorn-head orc and the Witch-King, he had a conversation with himself in at least one scene.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:51 PM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Gothmog? Isn't that the name of the lord of the Balrogs? Wasn't he killed by Glorfindel in the Second age or something?

If Lawrence Makoare did play the popcorn-head orc and the Witch-King, he had a conversation with himself in at least one scene.
Gothmog was also the name of the Witch King's Chief Lieutenant at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, and took over command when the Witch King was destroyed

Come on Nurv!! You should know this!!

Here is a quote:

Quote:
The Return of the King; The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, p. 828:

...There they had been mustered for the sack of the City and the rape of Gondor, waiting on the call of their Captain. He now was destroyed; but Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote