Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2003, 01:17 PM   #1
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

For those reading along with the movie

I believe this belongs in the Movies section, but I'll defer to azalea on the final decision.

I know some people are re-reading the books along with the movie, and some are reading each book for the first time along with the movie. Some, like my wife, are reading AFTER the movie. Myself, since I have had several misrememberings lately, I want to re-read RotK before the movie. So where do we start?

We have to re-start in two places. I believe there are parts of "Flotsam and Jetsum" in the Extended Edition of TTT, which I think is the second last chapter of Book III (the first half of The Two Towers), and we then skip to the "At the Crossroads" chapter which I think is at the end of Book IV (the last chapter of The Two Towers).

But there is one chronological change that should be noted. In "The Window on the West" chapter of TTT, Frodo notes the full moon. In RotK when Pippin looks out from under Gandalf's cloak as they are riding to Minas Tirith, he notes the full moon and thinks about Frodo. But in the movie, Frodo has already noted the full moon, so I don't know if they will have Pippin notice it in RotK, because they are supposedly synching the timeline.