Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth > UT Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

UT: Description of Numenor

Introduction

Light floods your vision as you soar westward over the waves, as if on the wings of an eagle. Like the Edain of old who followed Rothinzil, a beautiful land becomes visible to you in the midst of the western sea - Yozayan, the Land of Gift, fair Numenore. As you come closer, the shape and features of the land become discernible. The land itself is formed in the shape of a five-pointed star, with its five peninsulae sprawled out to the sea.

http://www.fortunecity.com/athena/em...36/numenor.jpg

Soaring westward, you first see over the cool eastern shores of the land, with its harbors teeming with sea birds. To the north lie the highlands and rocky shores of the Forostar and the peaks of Sorontil. Above the eastern harbor of Romenna and the opulent city of Armenelos rises the Meneltarma, the sacred mountain, in the center of the land. Surrounding the mountain to the south and west are rolling green hills, where sheep graze in the region of Emerie.

The air gets warmer as you veer southward, towards the Hyarrostar and Hyarnustar regions. Here you soar over lush vineyards, and soft white sand sparkles in the warm sun at the edge of the sea. And just over the land to the west, the most beautiful forest comes into view, the Nisimaldar. Its various fragrant and flowering trees, including the golden mallorns brought by the Elves of Eressea to the haven of Eldalonde, tower into the clear blue sky.

Out to sea, the sun is beginning to lower as you soar over the westernmost peninsula, the Andustar, with its cliffy shores and peaceful bays. There you hover over the haven of Andunie, in a moment of homage to the West as you regard the setting sun.

Ah! Such a land of beauty. Who could take it all in in just one day!

" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

The above is an introductory post. I'll be away over the next three days, and will post another installment when i return.

In the meantime, enjoy the bird's eye view, and feel free to begin posting. I'd like to keep this discussion lighthearted and informal.

Where in this lovely land would you like to live? And why?

Myself, i have always had a place in my heart for Andunie, as i love the sunset over the sea. The lords of that land are just the icing on the cake.

Happy Erukyerme!

~ * ~ * ~ *
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yeay, you've made it!

My initial preference goes to Emerië, but I'm going to re-read the chapter first before commiting to a favourite spot on Númenor.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I love your intro,Voronwen, it is so poetic!

I can recommend also the following maps:
Numenor

Numenor

Overview II Age

Voyages

I so hope to find some time for this discussion...
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
I love your intro,Voronwen, it is so poetic!
Thank you, Gordis! And for the maps, too!

I'll be posting the next part very soon - by the end of this week. If anyone else would like to comment on Numenor's geography before we move on to the 'people and culture' section, have at it.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Continued

The eagles invite you once again to soar over the land with them. This day, you observe the people in their activities.

Over the harbors you see the fishermen, their nets full with fish, and the cargo ships coming from the colonies, laden with goods. At the shorelines swimmers and divers enjoy the waves while boaters engage in sailing. Closer to the cities in the great fields you see men practicing their skills with the sword and equestrians at their sport. Whether at work or play, the people of this land thrive in the beauty of its environment.

As the midday turns to late afternoon, you are once again following the eagles to their sacred place atop Meneltarma. As it is midsummer, you see the people assembling below for the ceremony of Erulaitale. Silently you watch as they reverently climb the mountain, dressed in their finest clothes as they follow the king of the land to the place of prayer. As the king blesses the people and the land, you take your last long look at the land of Numenor, Elenna, Land of the Star in all her sun-drenched glory below the sacred mountain, sparkling amidst the western seas.

~

Last edited by Voronwen : 04-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.