Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Proof: Tolkien's world is real

Actually, I just thought this was an interesting article.

"Hobbit" Discovered: Tiny Human Ancestor Found in Asia

Hillary Mayell
for National Geographic News
October 27, 2004

Scientists have found fossil skeletons of a hobbit-like species of human that grew no larger than a three-year-old modern child. The tiny humans, who had skulls about the size of grapefruits, lived with pygmy elephants and Komodo dragons on a remote island in Indonesia as recently as 13,000 years ago.
Australian and Indonesian researchers discovered bones of the miniature humans in a cave on Flores, an island midway between Asia and Australia.

Scientists have determined that the first skeleton they found belongs to a species of human completely new to science. Named Homo floresiensis, after the island on which it was found, the tiny human has also been dubbed by dig workers as the "hobbit," after the tiny creatures from the Lord of the Rings books.

The original skeleton, a female, stood at just 1 meter (3.3 feet) tall, weighed about 25 kilograms (55 pounds), and was around 30 years old at the time of her death.

Read the full story

>>http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nsis.html#main

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Shouldn't that be Homo hobbitus? Homo shireus? Homo elevensiens? ...

Now we just have to find the ruins of Barad-dur... and some elf and dwarf skeletons and we're all set!

Seriously though, that's a very cool article.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

That is way cool, though of course it isn't the first example of tiny hominids. One only has to look further back in the fossil record to find tiny hominids, both the australopithecines, and the genus homo.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
inked
Elf Lord

BoP,

yes, well, aren't you really desirous of their pants status?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:22 PM   #5
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Awwwwww! So tiny, yet do deadly .

Or something like that. Yea... yea... Frodo Lives and all that. Lived, rather.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:27 PM   #6
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Frodo Evolved!

That's way smaller than any other species. Even our australopithecine ancestors are larger. My anthropology teacher was emailed us all in a fluster.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:58 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep, the australopithecines probably WERE larger, but the margin wouldn't have been that much. The 3ft female is considered marginally shorter than the rest, remember.

height estimates

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-28-2004 at 12:02 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:23 AM   #8
Draken
Elf Lord

It ain't the size that's exciting, it's the date. Australopithecines were maybe a little larger, but MUCH more ancient - their remains are from millions of years ago.

The Flores find has been dated at about 13,000 years old - evidence that a totally separate species of human was around at the same time as modern homo sapiens, quite a long time after the extinction of the Neanderthals. That's pretty stunning.

Funny how so many cultures have stories of 'the little people.' I've often wondered if maybe it was a methaphorical reference to the Bronze Age people marginalised and then swept away by the likes of the Celts. But maybe, in some parts of the world at least, there really were, literally, little people, whose existence has been passed on in legend. Just a thought!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #9
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
LOL! Sorry Lefty, I beat you to it. I posted it yesterday morning in GMs. Closing
You "killed" an interesting topick, which is REALLY belongs to the "Middle Earth" threads, the discussions connected with Tolkien world.
In the light that activity on the Moot so drastically droping, shouldn't you be more flexible?
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Psst... Olmer... Middle-earth isn't real... and archealogical finds in Earth are...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, Draken, you're right. It's damned exciting about the fact that there WERE another people running 'round with us sapiens. The time-frame is amazing.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:21 PM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

Dude, I saw this thread and figured there was some joke, then we started talking about it in physics class. I laughed so hard! It's crazy though. It's almost like having an intelligent alien species, only on the same planet, and with presumably the same evolutionary origin. But it's kind of the same, in a weird way. I wish I could've met one.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:26 AM   #13
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken

The Flores find has been dated at about 13,000 years old - evidence that a totally separate species of human was around at the same time as modern homo sapiens, quite a long time after the extinction of the Neanderthals. That's pretty stunning.
If they did become extinct that is. Considering the finding of Lagar Velho it may be that they just blend in.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #14
Draken
Elf Lord

Well, Lagar Velho has certainly given the admixture hypthothesis a lot more credibility.

If so, I can only guess that it proves that Homo Sapiens had access to pretty powerful alcohol...I mean I know nobody is ugly at 2 am, but you'd have to be pretty wrecked to want to pull a neanderthal.

....or am I?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:59 AM   #15
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken
Well, Lagar Velho has certainly given the admixture hypthothesis a lot more credibility.

If so, I can only guess that it proves that Homo Sapiens had access to pretty powerful alcohol...I mean I know nobody is ugly at 2 am, but you'd have to be pretty wrecked to want to pull a neanderthal.
LOL
Ah, you are simply considering modern aesthetics, but remember the old “Venus” they found from the Palaeolithic, hardly what we would now consider top model material.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #16
inked
Elf Lord

Well to drag this back to practical interbreeding particulars:

interbreeding raises the whole complex of problems related to birthing a live progeny even before raising it to reporductive age;

hybrids are frequently sterile;

mechanics of fetal size and passageway dimensions render live birth and survival problematic.

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-29-2004, 11:26 AM   #17
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Well to drag this back to practical interbreeding particulars:

interbreeding raises the whole complex of problems related to birthing a live progeny even before raising it to reporductive age;

hybrids are frequently sterile;

mechanics of fetal size and passageway dimensions render live birth and survival problematic.

But not necessarily sterile - I'm thinking for example of the coyote/canis rufus hybrid that was blamed for endangering the 'pure' red wolf. The morphological differences between Neanderthals and Cro-Magnon are pronounced and that has always led to the belief that Neanderthals were a truly separate species that could not interbreed. But evidence that Neanderthal characterstics survived (I'm not sure but from memory this find was dated several thousand years after the accepted date for the extinction of Neanderthals) means that assumption must be challenged. Whatever difficulties that MAY be imagined, we must find a way to explain how a skeleton bearing this mosaic of Neanderthal/Cro-Magnon features came about - and the admixture hypothesis immediately looks a stronger contender than it has previously.

....or am I?
Old 10-29-2004, 12:28 PM   #18
inked
Elf Lord

OK, Draken!

I merely posit that for whatever skeletal features on one skeleton must be explained, the proof of the puddin' will have objections!

Now, pragmatically, just how drunk would the Neanderthal of either sex have to be to mate with the just how drunk Homo sapiens of either sex?

Anyone else seen the humorous flick with this premise? The Origin of Fire or some such, it was. Pretty entertaining. I'd recommend it for Halloween, anyway.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:30 PM   #19
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

The boy is about 4000 years after Neanderthals were believed to be extinct. No way of knowing why he looks like a combination of features, although interbreeding is obviously a very highly thought of hypothesis. Although Neanderthals aren't always considered a separate species - some say Homo neanderthalensis, some Homo sapiens neanderthalensis (i.e. a subspecies that could possibly still breed with modernistic Homo sapiens).

About the hobbitish - they basically look like tiny Homo erectus, with a more delicate mouth. Which would be interesting evidence (if such it is) for human dwarfing on islands like the dwarfing seen among almost all Other mammals when they reach islands.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
inked
Elf Lord

Two items of interest.

The Flores hobbit update:
http://sciencenews.org/view/generic/...on_some__limbs

Neanderthals und Homo sapiens:
http://sciencenews.org/view/generic/...ng_with_humans

http://sciencenews.org/view/generic/...t_new_hominid_

umm, make that three items of interest!