Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #101
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeryn View Post
What is everyone's favorite kinds of music? (please include at least 3 bands and at least 2 known songs)
I've gone on at length here about my favorite classical music, but i love other music, too...

The Moody Blues are probably my favorite band of all time. I'm especially enamored of their "Core 7" period - 1967 to 1972. It's before my time, but this music is just so timeless and amazing. Best-known song: Nights in White Satin. The stuff they wrote after 1972 i can mostly take or leave, but the core 7 albums will blow you away. My Dad introduced me to them when i was a kid, and i was hooked for life. It's notoriously hard among their fans to pick a favorite album among the core 7. I can't do it, personally(?!), but if i really had to pick one, it'd be Seventh Sojourn. ETA - If anyone wants to explore "Core 7"-era Moody Blues, i strongly suggest first getting This Is The Moody Blues - it's a compilation of some of the very best of that era.

Nights in White Satin video (isn't that place just beautiful!?!)

I also love anything Celtic, most notably Enya and Loreena McKennitt. They just have so much music that i'll name albums instead of songs - It's so hard to pick favorites, but for Enya i'd have to go with The Memory of Trees and Amarantine, and for Loreena McKennitt i'd go with The Visit and The Mask and Mirror. There are so many great songs on all of their others though, too. I'd rather make my own playlists of all my favorites and then just let them run randomly - which is what i usually do.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Last edited by Voronwen : 06-05-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #102
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

DID SOMEONE SAY LOREENA MCKENNITT!!?!?!?

I have an otherworldy ability to sense when someone says that name. I totally adore Loreena and all of her music.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #103
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I have an otherworldy ability to sense when someone says that name.

I have a playlist of her stuff running right now, actually. I especially love how she sets poetry to music - love her renditions of The Lady of Shalott, The Highwayman, and all of her Shakespearean stuff! Best of all though is her setting of The English Ladye and The Knight, which is heart-breakingingly gorgeous.

And she's about the only 'popular' artist who sings high enough for me to comfortably sing along!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #104
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

This going to be a long and rather pointless post, but it is about one of my favorite songs and one of my favorite bands (well, movies, anyway).

I was reading an article about Spinal Tap, and how they still go on tour even though the "band members" all have successful careers under their own names.

(If you don't know, they're the band from a famous spoof movie about "England's loudest rock band" ; the mockumentary "This is Spinal Tap", supposedly made while they're on an American tour while the band is in the midst of becoming has-beens.)

They were talking about how strange it was to have audiences not only responding to the inane stage patter, but also breaking into cheers and foot-stomping for such "classics" as "Squeeze My Love Pump" and "Sex Farm"; songs both the audience and the band members know were deliberately written to be really bad music.

They've also apparently produced a studio album, ( since of course the music was done "live" for the movie using only the band members) which is supposedly what a wretchedly overblown version of their music would have sounded like on record, completely with wildly excessive synthesizer and orchestral effects.

But that's not what I've come here to talk to you about....
(cont'd)
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #105
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Spinal Tap, continued

Michael McKean ("David St Hubbins") was talking about his musical roots, and said he'd been briefly sat in as a session musician with a band that had a hit single in the 60s, and that they had asked him to go on tour. The band broke up before he got his chance, and he mentioned one reason was that the organ player was madly in love with the bass-player's girlfriend and kept writing love songs to her, including their top-ten single which actually used her real name in the title.

Intrigued, I looked into it- after all, how many sixties singles with girl's names in the title could there possibly be, right ?- and discovered it was by a band called The Left Banke (yes, with an "e"- this was the '60s) and the song was one of the all-time great laments to lost love, "Walk Away, Renee".

The organist was sixteen-year-old Michal Brown (real name Michael Lookfsky) whose father was a classical musician who had his own small studio, and who became interested in the band his son and his son's friends had founded. One day bassist Tim Finn brought his girlfriend, Renee Fadden, also sixteen, into a session and poor Mike was smitten. The song was more of a fantasy, since he never actually went out with her, and in fact her parents moved shortly thereafter and nobody in the band had contact with her afterward.

Quote:
Brown says of his unrequited love for Renée:

"I was just sort of mythologically in love, if you know what I mean, without having evidence in fact or in deed...But I was as close as anybody could be to the real thing"[7]

Fladen-Kamm was looking on during the recording of the song, and her presence nearly prevented its completion. In an interview, Brown stated:

"My hands were shaking when I tried to play, because she was right there in the control room," he says. "There was no way I could do it with her around, so I came back and did it later.[10]"
(He played the harpsichord on the track).

In 2003, a music blogger tracked Renee down, and discovered she was a well-respected vocal teacher and singer in a Medieval English ensemble, and apparently not too keen on being known as "that Renee".

After my girlfriend devastatingly dumped me when I was seventeen, this was the song that I played over and over, alternating with "Brown-Eyed Girl"-( she was a brunette). Still chokes me up

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjt...ay-renee_music

Last edited by GreyMouser : 06-07-2009 at 03:36 AM.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #106
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

GreyMouser, it is amazing how much music can speak to and for our hearts, isn't it?

Back to Loreena McKennitt for a moment - here's one of her most beautiful songs that's been doing the same for me lately...

The Old Ways (live)

Enjoy

Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #107
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

From their best-ever live dvd, here's another treat for those who love the Moody Blues...

Nights in White Satin (with orchestra) - Royal Albert Hall, 2000

Enjoy

Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #108
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

And another vintage Moody Blues clip

"Melancholy Man" - live at the Isle of Wight, 1970

Amazing!!! I couldn't help but share.

Enjoy!!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #109
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

I apologize in advance that this is becoming "Voronwen's Moody Blues thread" But this one *must* be shared...

Justin Hayward singing "Stairway to Heaven"

It's an absolutely beautiful rendition, backed by an orchestra.

(There's no real video, just someone's travel footage, so just minimize and listen to the sublimity... )

I'm thoroughly convnced that Mr. Hayward is really an Elf Lord, making us all think he's a rockstar.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #110
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
I'm thoroughly convnced that Mr. Hayward is really an Elf Lord, making us all think he's a rockstar.
I do terribly adore his version of 'The Tracks of My Tears', with full orchestral accompaniment, preferably with the volume set rather high.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #111
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
Have you finally found Maglor?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #112
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Have you finally found Maglor?
LOL! Actually i think he's Glorfindel. But Maglor might be an even better guess!

Of course, we'll never really know for sure!

Old 08-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #113
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

This is one of the most gorgeous songs I've ever heard...Nina Simone is unmatched.

Nina Simone - Cherish

I really wish I could find her 7 minute version of Wild is the Wind on youtube; that never fails to floor me.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #114
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

A week late but, Happy Woodstock 40th anniversary
At one time I had the whole album memorized, including comments and stage announcements:

"The warning I received, you can take it with how many ever grains of salt you wish, but the brown acid that is circulating around us is not specifically too good, it is suggested that you do stay away from it , but it is your own trip."

Country Joe, the Airplane, Santana, the Who, CS&N (and Y), Canned Heat, Arlo, Ritchie Havens, Sly, Joan Baez, Joe Coker, and of course, Jimi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKY2...eature=related
And this is sweet

Quote:
Woodstock: Album Cover Couple Still Holds the Vibes
By Kim Kinrade

I remember when the album Woodstock came out. It was a three-disc set that we quickly wore out (I still have the scratched copy) and I also bought it on 8-track. The only problem with that – besides obvious mechanical failures – was that I’m Going Home by Ten Years After was cut in half and you heard the last half of the song on the next track.

The other thing I remember even more than the music was the picture of a young couple hugging under a dirty sleeping bag or quilt of some kind. They were “The Woodstock Couple” and came to symbolize hippies everywhere. Well, the Woodstock couple are Nick and Bobbi Ercoline, both now 60

They only met three months before and, to their complete surprise, in 1970 the picture became the cover of the Woodstock album and was seen on various posters as well as the movie artwork.

For many, the image of Nick and Bobbi wrapped in a blanket amongst a bunch of concert goers, garbage and gray skies represents the festival. Because even with the wetness, mud and hunger pains nobody fought or yelled. It was the most unique calmness in a summer that wreaked of death ( Brian Jones, the Manson Murders, the Vietnam death toll).

And guess what, Nick and Bobbi have been together ever since!
Wondered what happened to the kid who was born there? Probably a stockbroker for Goldman Sachs.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 09-12-2009 at 10:32 PM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #115
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
A week late but, Happy Woodstock 40th anniversary
WOODSTOCK!!! When i was a teenager i had such a huge crush on that era. My Dad got me into all the music of his generation, which to this day is a sort of occasional guilty pleasure I remember being 14 and going to school in long tie-dyed skirts, a little suede jacket with fringe on the sleeves (a gift from Dad, of course! ), peace sign earrings, and my hair in two braids. I thought i had been born at the wrong time!

One of Dad's gifts this Christmas is going to be the Woodstock 40th Anniversary book - the one with all the bands in it and all those big, glossy pictures.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #116
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

My favorite song of all time

Old 05-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #117
dreamwaves

I like to listen "rock" music....My favorite rock band is slipknot and metallica..
Favorite song is;
Slip not-Before I Forget
Metallica -Nothing else matters
Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 AM   #118
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

I'm not sure I could pick a favorite genre of music, so I'll just list a couple different genres and give an example of a song I like from each.

Jazz - Brubeck - Blue Rondo a La Turk

Alt. Rock - Radiohead - Karma Police

Classical - Beethoven - "Pathetique" 2nd Movement.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.

Last edited by D.Sullivan : 06-05-2010 at 05:08 AM.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #119
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

My favorite kinds of music? Classic Rock, Rock, and Pop...(and a little Jazz here and there...Corrine Bailey Rae is amazing!)

Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody
The Beatles-Let it be, Fixing a Hole, Hello Goodbye
Billy Joel-My Life, Piano Man
U2-Beautiful Day, Vertigo
Lily Allen-Smile, Littlest Things

And of course I always like a little Dashboard Confessional, Avril Lavigne, and Black Eyed Peas...
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote