Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Paul McCartney? Thats a joke. But yes I think Zeppelin did more for the genesis of true heavy metal then any other band. They have been sited by all the classic metal bands anyway and what better source is there then that. They were the first to use the lead male vocal on the highest screaming alto range and actually have it be a masculine thing and not gay sounding. That became a halmark of early metal and later metal. In fact once at a concert in Florida Jimmy Paige said that he was doing a guitar solo in Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and there were these long haired kids right at the base of the stage just banging their heads right up against the front of the stage with the beat. He was amazed. The very first head bangers.... Course Plant and Page themselves didnt think much of this part of their legacy. They thought that most metal from the late 70s and 80s was crap.
Hmm, if I remember rightly, in Hammer of the Gods - A Led Zeppelin Biography, it states that Led Zep were indeed the first banned to be dubbed as playing Heavy Metal (in some American music publication) but Jimmy Page abhorred the idea, as far as he was concerned he was playing his own version of Rock/Heavy Blues.

So I guess officially (as in public use of the term) they were the first Heavy Metal band.........it's just that Led Zep didn't think they were

Quote:
I personally believe Black Sabbath were the more influencial and the first true metal band, their sound is more characteristic of everything Metal is really
Gotta agree with ya there CBG........the phrase may have existed previously.........but Black Sabbath certainly adopted it and made it their genre.....

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

i consider myself both punk and anti-music.

The White Stripes
The Sex Pistols
The Distllers

Along with a bit from...

The Seatbelts
Green Day

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Hmm, if I remember rightly, in Hammer of the Gods - A Led Zeppelin Biography, it states that Led Zep were indeed the first banned to be dubbed as playing Heavy Metal (in some American music publication) but Jimmy Page abhorred the idea, as far as he was concerned he was playing his own version of Rock/Heavy Blues.

So I guess officially (as in public use of the term) they were the first Heavy Metal band.........it's just that Led Zep didn't think they were

Gotta agree with ya there CBG........the phrase may have existed previously.........but Black Sabbath certainly adopted it and made it their genre.....
Yes I agree with all of this. Zep was a hard rock blues band basically. Thats what Page and Plant would tell you. They came out of the english blues revival of 60s and succeeded in creating their own distinctive mesh of blues and hard rock licks and heavy drum beats and epic complex writing and sound weaving that then went on to define movements like metal and hard rock. I mean without Zeppelin you never really wouldnt have had groups like Aerosmith, ACDC, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Metallica, Guns & Roses, and all the horrid crappy perfume metal bands of the 80s (much to Page's chagrin). Zeppelin paved the way for all that.

Yes Ozzy was the first to really be recognized as "heavy metal" but Zeppelin, as you said, brought the term out.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 04-25-2003 at 10:19 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:45 AM   #4
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Did anyone see The White Stripes on Conan o'Brien last week?
I believe they preformed 5 new songs.
Lady Tinuveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:48 AM   #5
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Yeah I did, kinda weird cause I haven't seen Conan in a while. Actually before then I hadn't heard of White Stripes, but I didn't really like them at all anyway.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:11 AM   #6
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Did you see all 5 shows?
I saw the first 2, they wernt that good. He's really good with his guitar.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:26 AM   #7
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Ahhhhhhhh, Heavy Metal. Started by Black Sabbath, perfected by Iron Maiden . . .

Speaking of Iron Maiden, who else is going to see them in their US tour?

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:28 AM   #8
DraztiK
Enting

I'm not, since I'd have to fly to the US to do that.

I am going to see them when they come to Belgium this summer though

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #9
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I see there is a few Blind Guardian fans out there.... do you guys like Symphony X?
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Reviving old topics, are we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
I see there is a few Blind Guardian fans out there.... do you guys like Symphony X?
Heard a few of their songs, not a big fan though. Black Diamond and Destiny were pretty good.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #11
Melfena
Elven Warrior

J-rock

Dir en grey- (Gyakujou tannou Keloid Milk, Embryo,)

Plastic Tree- (haru saki sentimental, Monophobia)

Miyavi- (Saisaisainara Byebyebye, Tariraritarara)

Rock

Pink Floyd- (The Trial, When the tigers broke free, Time)

The Who- (Baba O'Reily, Go to the mirror, Pinball Wizzard)

Led Zepplin- (Stairway to heaven, Kashmir, Ramble on)
Old 05-09-2003, 12:01 AM   #12
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Yes I do. I was very angry when I had to miss a Blind Guardian/SymphonyX show. That was probably one of the biggest dissappointments in my life. Still, if I die right after seeing Iron Maiden I will die a happy man.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:19 AM   #13
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Does anyone like Bjork?
Could anyone recommend any albums?
Old 05-09-2003, 12:23 AM   #14
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Re: ~

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tinuveil
Does anyone like Bjork?
Could anyone recommend any albums?
I really liked the soundtrack from Dancing in the Dark. (the movie that starred Bjork - very sad movie )
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 05:59 AM   #15
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

All time love: Goo Goo Dolls. And I mean LOVE THEM.

Anyone else a fan?

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #16
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Switchfoot. Period.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeryn View Post
What is everyone's favorite kinds of music? (please include at least 3 bands and at least 2 known songs)
I've gone on at length here about my favorite classical music, but i love other music, too...

The Moody Blues are probably my favorite band of all time. I'm especially enamored of their "Core 7" period - 1967 to 1972. It's before my time, but this music is just so timeless and amazing. Best-known song: Nights in White Satin. The stuff they wrote after 1972 i can mostly take or leave, but the core 7 albums will blow you away. My Dad introduced me to them when i was a kid, and i was hooked for life. It's notoriously hard among their fans to pick a favorite album among the core 7. I can't do it, personally(?!), but if i really had to pick one, it'd be Seventh Sojourn. ETA - If anyone wants to explore "Core 7"-era Moody Blues, i strongly suggest first getting This Is The Moody Blues - it's a compilation of some of the very best of that era.

Nights in White Satin video (isn't that place just beautiful!?!)

I also love anything Celtic, most notably Enya and Loreena McKennitt. They just have so much music that i'll name albums instead of songs - It's so hard to pick favorites, but for Enya i'd have to go with The Memory of Trees and Amarantine, and for Loreena McKennitt i'd go with The Visit and The Mask and Mirror. There are so many great songs on all of their others though, too. I'd rather make my own playlists of all my favorites and then just let them run randomly - which is what i usually do.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Last edited by Voronwen : 06-05-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

DID SOMEONE SAY LOREENA MCKENNITT!!?!?!?

I have an otherworldy ability to sense when someone says that name. I totally adore Loreena and all of her music.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I have an otherworldy ability to sense when someone says that name.

I have a playlist of her stuff running right now, actually. I especially love how she sets poetry to music - love her renditions of The Lady of Shalott, The Highwayman, and all of her Shakespearean stuff! Best of all though is her setting of The English Ladye and The Knight, which is heart-breakingingly gorgeous.

And she's about the only 'popular' artist who sings high enough for me to comfortably sing along!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #20
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

This going to be a long and rather pointless post, but it is about one of my favorite songs and one of my favorite bands (well, movies, anyway).

I was reading an article about Spinal Tap, and how they still go on tour even though the "band members" all have successful careers under their own names.

(If you don't know, they're the band from a famous spoof movie about "England's loudest rock band" ; the mockumentary "This is Spinal Tap", supposedly made while they're on an American tour while the band is in the midst of becoming has-beens.)

They were talking about how strange it was to have audiences not only responding to the inane stage patter, but also breaking into cheers and foot-stomping for such "classics" as "Squeeze My Love Pump" and "Sex Farm"; songs both the audience and the band members know were deliberately written to be really bad music.

They've also apparently produced a studio album, ( since of course the music was done "live" for the movie using only the band members) which is supposedly what a wretchedly overblown version of their music would have sounded like on record, completely with wildly excessive synthesizer and orchestral effects.

But that's not what I've come here to talk to you about....
(cont'd)
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote